The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Buying gear for a new studio
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

Buying gear for a new studio

Hi !

I live in France, and i am currently trying to build up a recording studio with another guy.
Our first gear priorites are : investing in mics and preamps (we already have quite good converters with a MOTU 2408 Mk3). Then, we'll buy high-end monitoring speakers (BM15A i think), a digital console, and all the stuff involved into audio signal treatment.

We already have the following :

Mics :

SM57 x 3
BETA91 x 1
BETA98 x 2
MD421 U4 x 1
TLM193 x 1
C414 ULS x 2
SM81 x 2
MK012 x 1
TB1 (tube mic) x 1

We plan to buy one or 2 Royer R121, and maybe other beta98s, a Brauner Phantom...

Mic pres :

Mindprint DTC
Mindprint An/Di PRO 24/96
Soundcraft Spirit M8

We plan to change our An/Di and M8 for high-end pres.
My friend was considering : Amek DMCL, Focusrite ISA428
...and I was considering buying US great sounding expensive mic pres like :

4 x API 512c racked in the 6 slots lunchbox
Brent Averill
Great River
OSA

With the DTC, we have a great stereo channelstrip that can records quite everything that needs no more than 2 mics.
The gear I want to buy would serve to record drums exclusively (we record a lot of rock/metal bands).
In France, we can't try all that american audio gear because it's not distributed, so we have to read forum's threads to know more about it heh .
I'm really thinking about buying the API 500 lunchbox, but it appears that there are many other alternatives to that investment.

Can you drive me a little on that ? What to choose for the drums (especially snare and bass drum) ? I can't afford Neve pre's for the moment (we have a lots of gear to buy...).
The drum sounds that amaze me : Deftones, Incubus, Meshuggah,

THANK YOU
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLy_drums

Can you drive me a little on that ? What to choose for the drums (especially snare and bass drum) ?
THANK YOU
I'd start with one of Brent Averill's 500platfrom frame ( I think 11 space with powersupply goes for something like $900) and add a couple of his 312preamps. If you buy like 4-5 and the rack, he'll probably make you a good offer. Then you can add more preamps, eq's or comps from API or BAE as you wish.

Brent's 312's are a no brainer on drums; never going to suck .

Good luck,
Dirk
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Get the monitors first.. seriously... you've got enough mics already to get some pretty nice recordings... but without decent monitors you've got a small chance
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks !
Your answers are interesting.

I am very interested into Brent Averill's stuff, and i think it's going to be my first choice : a lunchbox with 2 x 312 pres racked in it to begin.
If I buy that BAE lunchbox, will it be ok for racking API and OSA stuff in it then ?
May I go for the API or OSA lunchbox more ?

The monitors (Dynaudio BM15A) are programmed for buying in september, just one or 2 months before the studio is supposed to open, so it will be ok

What pres would you use for the toms ? My friend was thinking about a Focusrite ISA 428 which is very transparent, but maybe we need something more coloured that can fit in the lunchbox ?

Thanks again, all your posts help me a lot.
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks !
Your answers are interesting.

I am very interested into Brent Averill's stuff, and i think it's going to be my first choice : a lunchbox with 2 x 312 pres racked in it to begin.
If I buy that BAE lunchbox, will it be ok for racking API and OSA stuff in it then ?
May I go for the API or OSA lunchbox more ?
Don't know about the OSA stuff, but you can put API 500 series modules into the BAE rack
Quote:
What pres would you use for the toms ? My friend was thinking about a Focusrite ISA 428 which is very transparent, but maybe we need something more coloured that can fit in the lunchbox ?
I would use the 312's on everything. Once you have the rack, it's cheaper anyway and lot's of great records are made with just API preamps. I wouldn't worry too much about different preamps for different things. The 312's will rock on the entire drumset, on guitars, bass (DI thumbsup ), vocals, just everything.
Old 16th July 2005
Quote:

OSA preamps fit in BAE racks, and BAE preamps fit in OSA racks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search