The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Senn e609s kills on snare!
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

Senn e609s kills on snare!

Like the title says...
I have been rather faithful to using 57's, 421's or occasionally e604 on top snare. Got sick of having to gate or de-ess the hat out of the mic, which always created weird pumping/squashing efx in order to isolate the snare. This e609 has amazing separation (supercardiod) and the sound has a bit more "snap"--- another very welcome characteristic. Takes better to compression and gating much better than the std. 57. Only problem is that it takes up more real esate and may not work with all drummers setups. Anyone else diggin the e609 on snare?

BTW- i bought the e609 originally for elec. guitars, but was SEVERLY dissapointed with it on every rig i tried it on- sounded spitty and edgy, almost like someone EQ'd it with a crappy-ass plug-in...but on snare it's tite, toight, tight heh
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Nut

I've been using it exclusively for a few weeks. Beautiful with a 1073, and a little RNC.
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Nut

Also works fairly well at its intended purpose. . .
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

o-yah

I love that RNC on snare also...Provides great impact w/o altering the frequency response the way alot of (especially cheaper) comps do. Where in AZ are you at? Are you in cahoots w/ the local band named "Crushed"?
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Nut

This is like realtime for us! You should be asleep man! I am not afiliated with that band, but I have played a few live shows with them back in the mid-90s. I was in Izzy Epstein. I am out in Lovely Surprise AZ!! You got a studio out in Chandler(ish)?
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

yeah...I gotta studio. Not huge by most standards but I think for the money, we got something special here. How's business over there? I get enough to keep me busy, plus my band is recording an album here (alot of time invested so far...) I see u have alot of the same OB gear and ITB gear that i do...
I LOVE the sonalksis stuff on everything except drums]
LIKE the presonus BlueMAx comp on kick drum and bass guitar, occasuonally on vox (normally female)
Presonus TubePre stuff works fairly well for acous gtr, toms and hi-hat IMO
RNC works awesome on evrything but bass guitar and kick drum
FMR RNP is the best peamp for the money PERIOD (OH, vox, guitar, di bass, etc)

And yes, i should be sleeping!
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

i have been using the e609 silver on snare for a while now and i do like it.
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaRaNoId
Like the title says...
I have been rather faithful to using 57's, 421's or occasionally e604 on top snare. Got sick of having to gate or de-ess the hat out of the mic, which always created weird pumping/squashing efx in order to isolate the snare. This e609 has amazing separation (supercardiod) and the sound has a bit more "snap"--- another very welcome characteristic. Takes better to compression and gating much better than the std. 57. Only problem is that it takes up more real esate and may not work with all drummers setups. Anyone else diggin the e609 on snare?

BTW- i bought the e609 originally for elec. guitars, but was SEVERLY dissapointed with it on every rig i tried it on- sounded spitty and edgy, almost like someone EQ'd it with a crappy-ass plug-in...but on snare it's tite, toight, tight heh
Turn it off axis when micing guitar cabs.
Old 11th October 2006
I agree, even though the manual says right on axis.

Did you try it on the underside of the snare?

The bright-tight sound of it helps grab the sizzle of the snares.

I also LOVE my C02(I know I know but who's gonna put an AKG/AT/Neumann there) on the underside of a snare.
Old 11th October 2006
Gear Head

I used the 609 on snare for a while and loved it at first, until I decided to go back and A/B it with some other mics. Turns out I don't like that mic on anything but maybe jazz guitar. Too bright and spitty to me, especially on dist. guitars.

I changed to a C414 for a while and now I'm back to the good ole 57, and I think I'm happy.

Derril
Old 11th October 2006
Gear Addict

We just picked up 4 used e609's, black ones, from 1 guy for my studio and did a little comparison. They all sounded very different for being the same mic. The worst looking one sounded the best, had kind of a ribbon thing going on very smooth and not harsh or brittle at all it, was really nice. Would definately reach for it over a 57 or 421 on some stuff. The worst sounding one sounded like a thinner, brighter, harsher 57 with no low end. I don't know if anyone else has had a similar experience but basd on our tests it seems like a crap shoot if you'll get one you like. I forgot to mention the term of the test. Les Paul through a Rivera Knucklehead with all four mics on the same speaker. We did passes with clean sounds and with dist. sounds. Oddly enough all 4 mics sounded very similar on the clean sounds, it was on the dist sounds were they showed their differences the most.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search