The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Trident TSM versus Trident 80C
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Nut

Trident TSM versus Trident 80C

Anyone have experience with either or both of these? Thinking only for mixdown purposes, using line inputs and EQ only. Probably will upgrade PSU on whatever is purchased. What is the general fair asking price for each common configuration (32 channel or 40 channel)? Thanks.
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear
Same line amps, and, I believe, same input transformers.
Very similar sounding in general, except the TSM has much nicer EQ and a nicer more ergonomic layout to the channel strips (plus a separate REAL monitor mixer, not the fiddly little Series 80 one)

Most TSM's were 40 in, 24 out, plus a 24 or 32 track monitor section which could use the full size, full throw faders... so it's a much nicer desk to mix on.
Also had quad mix busses which can be nice as you can use the rear groups for parallel compression and such and it folds back into the stereo.
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

We had a 32x24 80C on loan in our room last year; it had the stock PSU and was woefully short of headroom. It sold for $40K incl. automation and patch bay. I liked the eqs but the lack of headroom was a killer...not a single outside engineer liked the board because it was so flabby sounding. It was nice eye candy but didn't do the job for us sonically.
Old 11th July 2005
member no 666

Better range of frequency selection on the TSM, slightly higher headroom throughout... way higher maintenance!!!!!

If you replace the Trident supplies on both desks with supplies that are like double the current rating you'll find plenty of desk attached to each... if you use the stock power supplies, you're in for less than all the available magic.
Old 17th December 2007
Gear Addict

Headroom not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson View Post
We had a 32x24 80C on loan in our room last year; it had the stock PSU and was woefully short of headroom. It sold for $40K incl. automation and patch bay. I liked the eqs but the lack of headroom was a killer...not a single outside engineer liked the board because it was so flabby sounding. It was nice eye candy but didn't do the job for us sonically.
The 80C was missing the BD series transistors. So could account for the dislike.But funny how so
many engineers love the Trident 80 series.....Mine is as fat as hell....And everybody I know who owne,s one does very heavy rock and headroom is never an issue??? I dont get it.......I have used
neve,s and other consoles......That did not get me off like the Trident 80 series. Many big records done on the 80 series. Peace.
Old 17th December 2007
Gear Addict

Trident 80C from Rumbo

Here is a list from the Former Rumbo 80C...........Pretty big list of big artist........

MADISON, WI--(Marketwire - December 4, 2007) - Madison Media Institute - College of Media Arts (MMI) in Madison, Wisconsin, is proud to announce the recent addition of a Trident 80c 40 input recording console. "We try to expose our students to a wide range of industry-standard equipment," says Doug Olson, chair of the recording department at MMI. "We want the students to have the opportunity to work on a variety of top-of-the-line recording and mixing equipment." The school's rich history of involvement with media sets it apart from other schools. MMI is recognized as a training leader by its peers in education and businesses involved in new media production.

The console was purchased from Rumbo Recorders/Metronome Studio B in Canoga Park, CA (formerly owned and operated by Captain and Tennille). The recording pedigree of the console reads like a who's who of artists and musicians. The list of those who recorded on this console includes but is not limited to: Kiss, the Smashing Pumpkins, Guns N' Roses, Fleetwood Mac, Motley Crue, John Cougar Mellencamp, Tom Petty, Stone Temple Pilots, No Doubt, The Rembrandts, Ice Cube, Keb Mo, P!nk, Spinal Tap, Mega, and Ringo Starr. There were also a number of movie soundtracks that were recorded and mixed on the console including: "Speed," "Robin Hood," "Interview with the Vampire," "Godzilla" and "Thirty Something."
Old 2nd July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson View Post
Maybe that one needed some TLC? The 80C I've used for years is thumping. If you like to peg the meters all the way to the right in the mix you will definitely hear the bottom fall apart, but not as much as say an Amek. It's no SSL but it's pretty punchy.
Old 3rd July 2008
Gear Addict

80C

80 c may be flabby without the BD series transistors that the 80/80B had. Makes a difference on
headroom and driving loads.
Old 3rd July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
If you replace the Trident supplies on both desks with supplies that are like double the current rating you'll find plenty of desk attached to each... if you use the stock power supplies, you're in for less than all the available magic.
What is it with Trident PSU's? I've seen this type of thing come up on occasion & it seems to be a rather recurring thing, regardless of which series of their consoles happen to be in question.
Old 3rd July 2008
Lives for gear

I swapped my Trident PSU out for Acopian's and the difference VERY noticeable!
Old 13th July 2008
Gear Nut

I thought that Appetite for Destruction was cut on a B Range.....??
Old 15th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankovitchy View Post
I thought that Appetite for Destruction was cut on a B Range.....??
overdubs at 'take one' had the 80B
basics at Rumbo
Old 27th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Hi,
Is a racked 2 channels TSM any good compared to the classics (1081 etc)?
Old 27th October 2018
I have cut a few things on a TSM, different beast than class A Neve, but I like them a lot. Only thing is the preamps sound bad pushed into clipping, so it’s not a “drive it hard for saturation” kind of pre.

Very handy, cool sounding EQs too.
Old 27th October 2018
Lives for gear

Recorded at Rumbo on their Trident back in the day as well as Cherokee's A range in "A" and various 80B's as well and I think all Tridents share a certain clarity and musicality that is distinctive(the A range is its own) . A friend of mine has an 8OC and different friend had a TSM which he sold but has some racked B range and original A range modules. I would say they all have a very pleasing sound but the 80B EQ is could get a bit sharp in the treble easily if your not careful.
Old 28th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Thank you guys for the infos
Old 28th October 2018
Both are 071 opamp designs. In that case they are more similar than not.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search