The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixing Geddy Lee type vocals
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Mixing Geddy Lee type vocals

Working on some new recordings for my current band, indie rock type stuff, and our singer has an almost Geddy Lee type voice. Great voice, but it's real high pitched. I have been experimenting with mics, eq and a few different things but nothing I am really happy with.

I don't want to make his voice something it isn't, but anyone have any tips for thickening up the voice? My biggest issue is his vocals seem to be way out front and not meshing well with the rest of the tracks.

Any advice is always appreciated!

Thanks,
T-rex
Old 11th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rex

I don't want to make his voice something it isn't, but anyone have any tips for thickening up the voice? My biggest issue is his vocals seem to be way out front and not meshing well with the rest of the tracks.

Any advice is always appreciated!

Thanks,
T-rex
In the future try arranging and having songs that are more in his chest region than head voice.

Going to the head voice will get nasally for sure and his voice will poke out.

In the mix one trick i might do is run a mono flanger under the vocal.

Also a little stereo Eventide for thickening.

For compression in the mix a little Neve 2254 and something for sure.

Stay away from an 1176 on his voice in the mix.

If not the combination may rip your head off.
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rex
Working on some new recordings for my current band, indie rock type stuff, and our singer has an almost Geddy Lee type voice. Great voice, but it's real high pitched. I have been experimenting with mics, eq and a few different things but nothing I am really happy with.

Thanks,
T-rex
Try a Blueberry mic ...

I'm mixing a Rush DVD right now .... the trick to Ged's vocal for me has been to contour the mids a fair bit -- walking the line between warmth but no honk or mud (tough to evaluate your situation without hearing the vocal). And mix him back a wee bit. Use a compressor that can contour the side chain as well .... like a distressor. Keeps the vocal even as the vocalist goes through his range.

hope this helps

R.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search