The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do they use to..... Studio Headphones
Old 4th March 2009
  #31
Lives for gear
 
chrisrnps's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody Murakami View Post
We've both made our points and our statements, and we each stand firm on them. I did a second reply to your comments further up..which shows that I do somewhat agree with you and your views.
Then we can agree to disagree. Avril Lavigne only somewhat sucks.
Old 4th March 2009
  #32
Lives for gear
 

Nothing magic there....

Two ACSTC parts.
The strumming patterns are different.

Does that girl inhale helium before each vocal line?

Who here remembers Josie and the Pussycats?
Not the girl band out now that is called Josie and the Pussycats.
The original CARTOON version.
This is what this type of teenage music sounds like to me.
Except the vocals are more sped up sounding these days.
WHY?

Have a listen:
YouTube - Josie And The Pussycats
Old 4th March 2009
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Chaellus's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody Murakami View Post
Just Google SOS, JJP I think..I should come up. Its actually a very good article. Whichever compressor is used, it sounds amazing.


sure does although the magic is in the recorded voice the compressor brings out and extends more of the expression of it.
Old 4th March 2009
  #34
Lives for gear
 
chrisrnps's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
Nothing magic there....

Two ACSTC parts.
The strumming patterns are different.

Does that girl inhale helium before each vocal line?

Who here remembers Josie and the Pussycats?
Not the girl band out now that is called Josie and the Pussycats.
The original CARTOON version.
This is what this type of teenage music sounds like to me.
Except the vocals are more sped up sounding these days.
WHY?

Have a listen:
YouTube - Josie And The Pussycats
Proper appreciation of Avril Lavigne has absolutely nothing to do with the songs or singing, and everything to do with adding some Glam Prom Looks pink highlights from the corner drug store and applying black eyeshadow with a masonry trowel, which makes one 'punk', e.g. the genre invented by Blink 182 and Sum 41.
Old 4th March 2009
  #35
Lives for gear
 
stagefright13's Avatar
 

Wow cut it out guys! I am a heavy rock person but the acoustic was very nicely done as a 2 track. And I am sure they had more time than I do to do that.

And the final sound was excellent. Don't cut it if ain't your style of music. Use the technique if you like on something else. And appreciate engineers that do other styles. And their technical excellence. Remember this is the learning channel!

John
Old 4th March 2009
  #36
What do they use to save people having to open and read forum postings to which they have nothing to add and no reason to read?

Subject lines that actually have the subject in them.

It's a kindness to fellow forum members.
Old 4th March 2009
  #37
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagefright13 View Post
Wow cut it out guys! I am a heavy rock person but the acoustic was very nicely done as a 2 track. And I am sure they had more time than I do to do that.

And the final sound was excellent. Don't cut it if ain't your style of music. Use the technique if you like on something else. And appreciate engineers that do other styles. And their technical excellence. Remember this is the learning channel!

John
Nicely put. I agree 100%

I do like that song alot. There are probably about 4 or 5 of her songs I really like, actually none of them being the faster ones, I like her slower songs. One of the main reasons I started listening to them is because her last album was done at Ocean Way in Hollywood, and I cant emphasize enough how much I love the way the record and mix the artists that go in there. Just about every artist that has gone in there has had a smash hit.
Old 4th March 2009
  #38
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
Nothing magic there....

Two ACSTC parts.
The strumming patterns are different.
Ok, I'd like you to record something like that and make it sound as good.
Old 4th March 2009
  #39
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaellus View Post
sure does although the magic is in the recorded voice the compressor brings out and extends more of the expression of it.
Of course. Whether he used the $5k TSL3 or the $40k Fairchild, both of those are phenomenal compressors.

Its funny, I saw a video of Allen Sides talking about how he got started there at Ocean Way, and he bought hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gear for only $5k (one of them being the Fairchild) from someone that was dumping it back when they were United Western (Bill Putnams original studio/UA factory) and Bill wanted to meet the guy who scored all this equipment for so cheap...

I'd take a Fairchild for $5k any day!
Old 4th March 2009
  #40
Geez, Brody.

You ask a question, then you flat-out disagree with people who are giving you the correct answer.

Then you have the nerve to challenge someone much more experienced than you to "record something like that and make it sound as good".

How about YOU do that? Or are you too busy wasting everyone's time on an internet forum?


It would be easy to recreate the effect in question. Being able to mimic that isn't nearly so impressive as coming up with the idea in the first place. It's not the compressor, it's not the mic, it's not Alan Rickman; It's the intersection of years of experience and inspiration. No piece of equipment will make up for a lack of these two critical ingredients.
Old 5th March 2009
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Chaellus's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody Murakami View Post
Of course. Whether he used the $5k TSL3 or the $40k Fairchild, both of those are phenomenal compressors.

Its funny, I saw a video of Allen Sides talking about how he got started there at Ocean Way, and he bought hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gear for only $5k (one of them being the Fairchild) from someone that was dumping it back when they were United Western (Bill Putnams original studio/UA factory) and Bill wanted to meet the guy who scored all this equipment for so cheap...

I'd take a Fairchild for $5k any day!


thats how you do it wheel and deal no other way can you amass that stuff too expensive so waht do you do? buy the gear that will rack in more cash later sell that get some other items and keep going....
Old 5th March 2009
  #42
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
Nothing magic there....

Two ACSTC parts.
The strumming patterns are different.

Does that girl inhale helium before each vocal line?


Have a listen:
YouTube - Josie And The Pussycats
No, it's probably meth.
Old 5th March 2009
  #43
Lives for gear
 
msquared's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
What do they use to save people having to open and read forum postings to which they have nothing to add and no reason to read?

Subject lines that actually have the subject in them.

It's a kindness to fellow forum members.
Seriously!
Old 5th March 2009
  #44
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody Murakami View Post
In a sense, you may be correct..unfortunately that is how a lot of music is done these days. I have lost respect for they way people are doing songs now. I very much enjoy music from 20 years ago.. from Sinatra, Pink Floyd, Doobie Brothers, Billy Joel, The Stones, Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, Heart..etc...

Where the album IS the performance of the artist and the band..where you didnt have ProTools to go in and edit and maneuver your take. Everything was raw and on tape. Now crap is doubled a thousand times, harmonized with processors, FAKE sounding. I have tons of respect for artists and bands that work like that. Not many do anymore..

Kings of Leon actually just recorded their album at BlackBird, and they DID however track live to a tape machine. You can feel it in their performance.. That to me, is what makes a good record.


No, it's IMPOSSIBLE !! You CANNOT possibly like BOTH Avril LaVigne and Pink Floyd at the same time.

That is like saying you can appreciate eating defecation as well as a fresh orange.
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump