The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LA Audio compressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 3rd March 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 

LA Audio compressor

I picked up some pre owned outboard gear recently which included an LA Audio CX2 compressor. Haven't had chance to try it out yet but just wondered if its worth keeping onto or should i run away from it as fast as possible?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 5th March 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Bump...

Anyone used one of these units before? Any info would be great.
Old 5th March 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
I've had an LA audio Classic Compressor in my rack for 20 plus years. Always sounds good. A bit transparent for some of the "why doesn't my compressor ass mojo crowd, buy I've had great resulys with it.

Not sure about the CX2.....but the line was/is solid.
Old 5th March 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
I love the classic range BUT i get the feeling the others are not in the same league. Haven't tried the one you mention, but I did try a lesser model and it was ok. The classics are GREAT
Old 5th March 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Thanks for the posts so far slutz.

It appears that the CX2 was a budget range compressor but no one seems to have heard of it. Can't find much about it on the net either.

The full name/model is LA lites CX2. Its basically a 2 channel compressor with the usual threshold, ratio and release controls and a button that selects the attack.

One interesting feature however is the 'filter' control which allows you to select HP or LP and then select the frequency between 100Hz to 100kHz. It appears that you can apply this feature for de-essing or use both channels simultaneously and use this function as a crossover for multiband compression. The manual may give more insight into this but unfortunately i cant seem to locate one anywhere.

Anyone out there had experience of this compressor?

If not I guess I will just have to wait until i find the time to patch the rascal in and give it a test drive for myself. Not expecting much from what appears to be a budget compressor but who knows, it may suprise me!
Old 10th March 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
fyi it's a fet compressor for what that's worth. I've been considering picking up an older la audio 4c... same thing but 4 channels. heard everything from great reviews to odd things about it.

haven't heard the unit yet. probably can't afford it as it turns out so yea, that's how it goes.

picking up a cheap behringer dsp9024 instead. could be interesting. doesn't hurt anyway. I need multiband for a live to cd thing I'm doing for someone cheap, no time to fix mixes etc, has to be cd at the door at end of show, no daw, comps->mixer(+aux fx)->masteringcomp->cd all with headphone monitoring in real time.

would love to grab one of those la audios but am in same boat as you, and screwed for cash so you know :-)

Cheers,
Don
Old 10th March 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Aisle 6's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
fyi it's a fet compressor for what that's worth. I've been considering picking up an older la audio 4c... same thing but 4 channels. heard everything from great reviews to odd things about it.

haven't heard the unit yet. probably can't afford it as it turns out so yea, that's how it goes.

picking up a cheap behringer dsp9024 instead. could be interesting. doesn't hurt anyway. I need multiband for a live to cd thing I'm doing for someone cheap, no time to fix mixes etc, has to be cd at the door at end of show, no daw, comps->mixer(+aux fx)->masteringcomp->cd all with headphone monitoring in real time.

would love to grab one of those la audios but am in same boat as you, and screwed for cash so you know :-)

Cheers,
Don
I own an LA Audio compressor (thought it was a CX2 but it does not have filters) anyway it is not my go to comp and does not get heaps of work, but if I need an extra channel of comp on any source it always holds it's own and never disappoints. I guess that could mean it is quite good. No complaints anyway and it is not going anywhere in a hurry.
Old 14th March 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 View Post
I own an LA Audio compressor (thought it was a CX2 but it does not have filters) anyway it is not my go to comp and does not get heaps of work, but if I need an extra channel of comp on any source it always holds it's own and never disappoints. I guess that could mean it is quite good. No complaints anyway and it is not going anywhere in a hurry.
What model is your LA audio compressor. Is it the GCX2? I believe that the GCX2 was similar to the CX2 but a cut down version that didnt include the filter.
Old 14th March 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 
XHipHop's Avatar
i had a 4x4 and a 4c at one point. the filter sidechain section is cool especially for live sound.

they're well built and sound pretty decent.
Old 14th March 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop View Post
i had a 4x4 and a 4c at one point. the filter sidechain section is cool especially for live sound.

they're well built and sound pretty decent.
Yeah, seems like the 4C and the 4X4 have the filter controls too.
I have been trying out the CX2 on a few sound sources and it seems to give particularly good results on bass tracks and kick drums.
The filter allows you to compress just the bottom end to obtain the necassary boom factor and then gives seperate control of the mids for optimum compression on the transients and attack...nice.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Franco / So much gear, so little time
0
leftcoastproduc / High end
11
cl516 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
cl516 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
dlmorley / High end
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump