The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hey everyone
Old 10th July 2005
Here for the gear

Hey everyone

Listen guys and gals, I am very new at this and I need some help. I am willing to take whatever advice I can get....I am new at engineering and recording/producing....I do work in the business licensing music for movies and television through NOMA music though, so for some really good advice on recording and mastering, I can listen to some of your masters (as long as you own the rights and publishing) and see what I can do in getting some of your music in some movies and tv....make a little extra money and stuff like that ya know...it would be a good deal! Please give me any help, that would be great, I have been working on a few mixes and to be honest they are pretty good I think, for a newbie anyway, I have a great ear for it so the potential is there to become great. I'll be the first to admit that I need a lot of help though, and I am motivated and committed....please help!!
Thanks, Phil
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

A question is a good place to start....
Old 10th July 2005
Here for the gear

oh yeah my bad lol

Kick drum and snare drum....pretty imortant parts of the kit in mixing, what's the best way to get the BEST sound out of them???
Ex.
Compression to use, eq, what frequencies to add/drop, miking...limitting???? If there is any in the mixing process.
Guitars also, compression to use (ratio) stuff like that.....
bass guitars??? Vocals are a bitch to me, very difficult to get a really good sound.....what is a good compression to use to that.....verses are soft but the choruses loud as hell and it is a really big difference in the mix, makes it harder in post production....I tried using 4:1 and that seemed to do the trick for that problem but for regular songs that don't have that much of a difference in volume in verses/choruses...what would be let's say indutry standard??
Thanks, Phil
Old 10th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokcid
...what would be let's say indutry standard??
Thanks, Phil
What is the industry standard?

Get a famous mixer to mix it.
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokcid
Kick drum and snare drum....pretty imortant parts of the kit in mixing, what's the best way to get the BEST sound out of them???
Ex.
Compression to use, eq, what frequencies to add/drop, miking...limitting???? If there is any in the mixing process.
Guitars also, compression to use (ratio) stuff like that.....
bass guitars??? Vocals are a bitch to me, very difficult to get a really good sound.....what is a good compression to use to that.....verses are soft but the choruses loud as hell and it is a really big difference in the mix, makes it harder in post production....I tried using 4:1 and that seemed to do the trick for that problem but for regular songs that don't have that much of a difference in volume in verses/choruses...what would be let's say indutry standard??
Thanks, Phil
Phil...I can't honestly tell if this post is for real or not? Absolutlety no offense meant or even the slightest flame...but you just basically asked..."How do I record everything"?

This... my brother... is a good place to start IMO:

http://theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm

There is alot of information to absorb...
In my experience it is a good idea to get a grasp of the fundamentals first...

Best of it to you.
Old 10th July 2005
Here for the gear

thrill factor, I'd rather do it myself thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search