The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ROCK TOPIC:anyone pick up the new CLUTCH?
Old 10th July 2005
There is only one

ROCK TOPIC:anyone pick up the new CLUTCH?

review from allmusic:
Can someone please get Clutch a publicity transfusion? While the band has built a rabid fanbase in its 15-plus years of havoc, the intuitive, volatile grooves of Robot Hive: Exodus deserve a closer listen from the clueless types still dawdling over Clutch's musical category. The record satisfies fans of 2004's Blast Tyrant and keeps on trucking stylistically, still featuring Neil Fallon's guttural cerebralisms ("Oh, but to just dine on sewage, cold seagull pie/Wrestle albino alligators and spin the good lie") but incorporating more of additional organ/keys man Mick Schauer and pushing out jams thicker than prehistoric amber. Opener "Incomparable Mr. Flannery" drops references to Dokken, Camaros, and downtown Detroit watering holes on its way to rolling with the moustache and supernova. The track's a good example of producer J. Robbins' feel throughout Robot Hive. He keeps the pace nimble, and that accentuates both the percussion's high end and the organic feel of Clutch's guitar/base strut. They aren't drop-tuning clones or vintage gearheads with no originality. Progressions are found within the riffs, and the blunt bottom end glances off smart lyrics and clever instrumental turns. Clutch offers heavy lifting for the thinking man. Schauer's Hammond shines on "10001110101," where a Deep Purple stomp sets up Fallon's observations of lunatics and the "Robot Lords of Tokyo." "Gravel Road" and "Who's Been Talking?" tinge the blues with heaviness, and "10,000 Witnesses" wouldn't be out of place on a North Mississippi Allstars record. There are also straight-on bangers here, like "Mice and Gods" or the awesomely named "Burning Beard," and "Never be Moved" works a great balance between boogey-metal guitar, Schauer's organ, and righteous gospel proclamations to "get your evolution on." On Robot Hive: Exodus Clutch knows its strengths, but continually challenges them. The band's always pushing the boundaries, and it's time the world outside the underground found that out.

this album just ROCKS. and expansive as hell. one song i almost wished they invited robert randolph to sit in on. sonically, it would be a little better.... but wtf.... the playing is kick ass.
Old 11th July 2005
There is only one

damn, no one here listen to real rock records anymore?
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Addict

I haven't heard it yet, but I'm going to. How long have they been using an organ? I've been getting into Deep Purple lately (a guy I play with has a B3 that was modded for the Purps). I'm psyched to hear it.
Old 11th July 2005
There is only one

they have had organ parts on a lot of their albums, but not prominent... but this one is...

this album is all over the place. its impossible to catagorize.... but its freaking ROCK MUSIC man... made by MUSICIANS. these guys are the real deal.
Old 11th July 2005
I've been listening the **** out of it thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Old 11th July 2005
There is only one

i was at their show a few weeks back. line around the block. took 2 hours to get in the club... i had this one girl come up to me talking about how much they killed. she was some DJ chick. blown away by the groove of the drummer.

if this band was alive when led zepplin was around they would of floored those brits into submission. in todays world, neither zep or this band would get signed.
Old 11th July 2005
There is only one

btw, 'land of the pleasant living' is SO pink floyd.
Old 11th July 2005
I think they are one of the very few relevant bands operating in rock today, (that'll get me shot)
I'm tracking a 3piece band with a chick singer right now who wants the mix to "sound like clutch" they're paying $300 for 3 songs, I told her I'd "see what I could do"
Old 11th July 2005
There is only one

i hope they sound like them. cause thats where the source lies.... unlike 'blast tyrant' which didnt sound like them at all... bad producer. songs were good but it was a "fake"..... not as bad as foo tho. nowhere near.

glad to hear JPG's drum tones again.

hint, tim plays orange heads or old marshall 45's through orange cabs. ampeg svt cab on bass of course. goota have jpg behind the kit... what else can you get?
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
glad to hear JPG's drum tones again.

A-men to that!
Jean Paul's a monster

-Scotty
Old 11th July 2005
There is only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty-o
A-men to that!
Jean Paul's a monster

-Scotty
yeah, i have this video i shot of them up at 930 club and JPG doing this sadistic drum solo which i have been trying to compress for streaming on the web but cant get the file size low enough. just TMI happening. i might just have to put it up with a large file size.
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Love to see the vid. I haven't been out to see them in awhile. I've got broadband and would take a look if you put it up.
Also I haven't picked up the new album yet.
Blast Tyrant was a shock when I put it in. I was actually pissed off when I first heard it. I hated the drums. The whole record was PT'ed to death.
Actually missed that Larry "Uncle Punchy" Packer sound... LOL
Ah well...................

-Scotty
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Guru

Thanks AJ for the Tip
I'm diggin it!..
I wanna see the vid also!can you post it somewhere?
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Head

j. robbins did this new one, right?
Old 12th July 2005
There is only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty-o
Blast Tyrant was a shock when I put it in. I was actually pissed off when I first heard it. I hated the drums. The whole record was PT'ed to death.
Actually missed that Larry "Uncle Punchy" Packer sound... LOL
Ah well...................

-Scotty
yeah, i said something to jean paul about that album it pissed me off too with his [lack of] TONE... which i said i missed instantly [his reaction was funny]. glad to hear it back on this album even though it sounds a bit too "mushy" to me, i expected a much better sound sonically out of bearsville. blast tyrant ROCKED however with its songs.... my son loves 'mob goes wild'.

i will try to get the video up soon. last time i tried to export it i froze my machine... so i gave up i wish i had the multitracks for it instead of just the cam mic picking up the sound.
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
yeah, i said something to jean paul about that album it pissed me off too with his [lack of] TONE... which i said i missed instantly [his reaction was funny]. glad to hear it back on this album even though it sounds a bit too "mushy" to me, i expected a much better sound sonically out of bearsville. blast tyrant ROCKED however with its songs.... my son loves 'mob goes wild'.

i will try to get the video up soon. last time i tried to export it i froze my machine... so i gave up i wish i had the multitracks for it instead of just the cam mic picking up the sound.
Time out. I thought Bearsville closed.
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I haven't picked up the record yet... but, Clutch is killer. Really dug Blast Tyrant.
Need to grab Robot Hive.

How about the new C.O.C.... you guys dig it?? Can't get it out of my CD player.
-CJ
Old 12th July 2005
There is only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgong
Time out. I thought Bearsville closed.
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/...e%2FExodus.htm
Recording information: Bearsville, Studios, Bearsville, NY;

neil was talking about recording up there last time they rolled through town. it was before the album was out so i didnt recognize a lot of what they played [plus is was far too packed of a show]... anyway, he mentioned it after i asked where they recorded the album, then onto some stories from up there. i dunno, i didnt hear it closed. ween did ****e pepper up there which sounded technically good but the songs sounded like a bone for the labels instead of quebec sounding great and more like who they really are. got to love andrew weiss.
Old 12th July 2005
Here for the gear

check these guys out too macrocosmica
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Guru

Clutch Jamming live at Bearsville
Scroll down to find it
It's called "Tripping the alarm"
Wow ..A real band making music all at once..fancy that
Link:
http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...ro-rock.com%2F
Old 27th July 2009
i caught Clutch live last Monday in San Diego. they were really pushing the new material (Strange Cousins from the West). they pulled out a few crowd pleasing tracks from Blast Tyrant. they're down to 4 members now so it was a very raw, tight set. one of the finest live bands i've seen. i picked up the new album for $8 @ target the other day & the tracks are pretty much a mirror of the live performance. everybody whining about the abuse of pitch correction, beat detective, bands that cant play their material, ect, should really give these guys a listen. they've been pounding the pavement making great modern blues based prog rock for 18 years now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search