The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are CD-Rs as good as factory, "glass master"-produced CD's these days?
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

we did a test between a hight quality CD r and cheapos..

every time 3 people picked the high quality one in a blind test as the one sounding the best

my thought is that the amount of error correction needed on playback of the cheapo ones cause interpolation fits that translate into audible difference..i'm no techie but it can be the only answer as 0's and 1's are 0's and 1's
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog View Post
no. But it doesn't matter anyway. Jkthtyrt
+1000000000000000
Old 6th March 2011
Gear Nut

Glass & cdr's

Glass masters still make a huge difference but not all glass masters are the same. Disc makers and most of the brokers will use high speed method to help boost profits. Use <http://www.groovehouse.com/>. They use an older technology to make the best possible master. Better masters means less error correction and a perfect 1:1 quality product. I even can't tell you many times my clients have gotten product from disc makers that really sucked (sound, printing errors, cases shrink wrapped with no cd's inside, etc...).
Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bom619 View Post
Glass masters still make a huge difference but not all glass masters are the same. Disc makers and most of the brokers will use high speed method to help boost profits. Use <http://www.groovehouse.com/>. They use an older technology to make the best possible master. Better masters means less error correction and a perfect 1:1 quality product. I even can't tell you many times my clients have gotten product from disc makers that really sucked (sound, printing errors, cases shrink wrapped with no cd's inside, etc...).
How are their prices compared to Discmakers? I have gone through discmakers 3 times and never had an issue.
Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

I've never had a problem with cd-rs. That being said I prefer to do a glass master for our releases and there is an audible difference in the end result with cds from a glass master sounding better. I've used both methods from discmakers without a problem except when I did a short run of cdrs one time and some cases were cracked in shipping.
Old 6th March 2011
Here for the gear

CD-R's fail over time.

What I've noticed is over the course of a few months, CD-R's begin to fail, creating a scratching / static noise getting progressively worse as the disk moves along until it stops playing completely, or it begins to skip in the last 3rd of the album. That's been my experience with CD-R's, I see them as temporary media, where factory produced disks, (if kept clean), are permanent. CD-R's kept in a car will also hasten their degradation.
Old 6th March 2011
Here for the gear

CD's are superior to CD-R's

I don't think there's any question that there is a difference in the lifespan and durability of the disk. Remember, just because 2 of 4 say they've had no issues, does not discount the fact that 2 of 4 have. Like Grandma used to say, "Play safe!" Is the music you're burning worth the quality of the disk? Is your listener worth the quality of the disk?
You can answer these questions yourself...

And remember, even if many disks are not failing, but mine is failing, and I'm listening to YOUR music, (or your clients music), is that a chance worth taking?
When you don't even know who I may be who's listening?... I can tell you this for sure; if I have a pile I need to listen to by noon, TOSS!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search