The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why Pro Tools?
Old 23rd September 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
No need to apologize, I was just pointing out that everyone knows that already and it's kind of a tired argument. This whole pro tools argument is tired as hell and needs to be put to bed. Pro Tools isn't going anywhere and never will, there are quite a few people that will swear by it while there are quite a few more that will swear by tape. Either you like Pro Tools or you don't, there's no reason everyone has to bash it so much. Either use it or don't, it up to you and only you.

I agree 100 percent, i was posting thoughts since the thread is : WHY PRO TOOLS !!
But you would have to agree somewhat to that rock music sounded better (comimg out of the studio) back in the 80s early 90s than it does today and thats becasue of tape, i know we do not have much rock to pick from anymore since they are not signing rock bands anymore much. I talked with a DJ from Denmark the other day, she asked how the music scene was? i told her that we got more respect and alot more air play in other countries than we do in the US, she replied, why do all US artist say this? as she listed a lot of interviews with US bands/artist that said the same thing. Look me up at paradiseblue.com they are some airplay on front page.

But i agree we should all use what makes us smoke if its on a cass player live..lol

one last thing !!!! Have you heard Nickelback latest CD, that damn thing is cold as heck and they used PT.......that was there choice but it turned me off due to the lack of warmth, It has headroom from hell tho.

I have enjoyed the chat, sorry for any tention, i was just replying to "WHY PRO TOOLS"

We are all great gearslutz and i have learned alot from this site and am waiting to learn tons more in the future.
Old 23rd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaza View Post
So my project that starts on two inch, gets dumped to PT, gets some odubs on tape, some on Tools--- <<<<<<<<< thats a great idea, you have captured the sound on another source like drums, bass etc.
Yep, I thought it up all by myself-

it dosen't really make a difference though cause it all ends up at 44.1 16 bit.thumbsup
Old 23rd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree 100 percent, i was posting thoughts since the thread is : WHY PRO TOOLS !!
But you would have to agree somewhat to that rock music sounded better (comimg out of the studio) back in the 80s early 90s than it does today and thats becasue of tape, i know we do not have much rock to pick from anymore since they are not signing rock bands anymore much. I talked with a DJ from Denmark the other day, she asked how the music scene was? i told her that we got more respect and alot more air play in other countries than we do in the US, she replied, why do all US artist say this? as she listed a lot of interviews with US bands/artist that said the same thing. Look me up at paradiseblue.com they are some airplay on front page.

But i agree we should all use what makes us smoke if its on a cass player live..lol

one last thing !!!! Have you heard Nickelback latest CD, that damn thing is cold as heck and they used PT.......that was there choice but it turned me off due to the lack of warmth, It has headroom from hell tho.

I have enjoyed the chat, sorry for any tention, i was just replying to "WHY PRO TOOLS"

We are all great gearslutz and i have learned alot from this site and am waiting to learn tons more in the future.
Yeah I won't disagree with nickelback, I also don't like how the new disturbed album sounded either. I do honestly love the way tape sounds but it's not very cheap and for very small budget places a 002r and some really nice outboard gear can really do a good job. Also I think Nickelback does some of their own engineering and that may also be a reason why it could sound better, some musicians are cut out for it, some are not but try anyway.
Old 23rd September 2006
Lives for gear

Slipperman always says what I would want to say if I was eloquent enough. thanks.
drew
Old 23rd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman View Post
Yeah! but only listens to it in the privacy of his bathroom and then immediately after runs to confession followed by a strong bashing of Apple in Slutzville.
ha ha ha
Old 23rd September 2006
Gear Guru

[QUOTE=drew;891761]Slipperman always says what I would want to say if I was eloquent enough. thanks.
drew[/QUOTE

WOW, you have a Elite track record, my hats tilts toward you..... My biggest was a Debut on MtV in 1987, i shot and edited the Video, im very happy of that. I did it all on 3/4 video tape back then, they were no such thing as digital video cameras.

Ive also opened for the Flabulous Thunderbirds with 13,500 watching
Winger, Club
38 Special, Club
Joan Jett, Six Flags

hell im getting off track.......this is a "WHY PRO TOOLS" Thread....sorry

AGAIN you have a hell of a track record, keep up the great work.
Old 23rd September 2006
XJR
Gear Maniac

I think it's a brilliant product if used as a digital tape recorder. It might not sound as warm as 2" .. or have that great compression, but it does do a far better job of playing back what you tracked in the first place, without degrading and losing treble with every play! Some people leave it at that, no mixing in the box, no plugins, no edits ... if there's a mistake then track it again!!
The fantastic advantage it has over other DAW's is how easy and cheap it is to get 24 channels in & 24 channels out of the PC ... just buy 2 or 3 interfaces. I'm not sure how native systems do this as most firewire or PCI interfaces only seem to have 8 in \ outs at best! Are they mix in the box only ?

What would be great is an open DSP card & AD\DA interface standard. They could put 10 or so DSP chips on a card with some ram, and make the intruction sets available to all the DAW publishers. That way you could enjoy the almost zero latency and extra plugin power with any DAW .. and the sheer numbers sold should make the product a lot cheaper than anything from Digidesign.
Old 24th September 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJR View Post
I think it's a brilliant product if used as a digital tape recorder. It might not sound as warm as 2" .. or have that great compression, but it does do a far better job of playing back what you tracked in the first place, without degrading and losing treble with every play! Some people leave it at that, no mixing in the box, no plugins, no edits ... if there's a mistake then track it again!!
The fantastic advantage it has over other DAW's is how easy and cheap it is to get 24 channels in & 24 channels out of the PC ... just buy 2 or 3 interfaces. I'm not sure how native systems do this as most firewire or PCI interfaces only seem to have 8 in \ outs at best! Are they mix in the box only ?

What would be great is an open DSP card & AD\DA interface standard. They could put 10 or so DSP chips on a card with some ram, and make the intruction sets available to all the DAW publishers. That way you could enjoy the almost zero latency and extra plugin power with any DAW .. and the sheer numbers sold should make the product a lot cheaper than anything from Digidesign.

DITTO XJR

I just hope nobody out there is tracking drums with PT, the rest i could live with i think !!!.
I know i have been a sore thumb with some of these guys on this thread about PT, hey I hate Neve as well and thats just a preamp, thats goes for the 9098 as well.
Old 24th September 2006
Gear Nut

Originally Posted by pitman
Yeah! but only listens to it in the privacy of his bathroom and then immediately after runs to confession followed by a strong bashing of Apple in Slutzville.
ha ha ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
ha ha ha
Wow! It's like time has stood still. Over a year later and this thread is back to life. Hats off to Pro Tools.
Old 24th September 2006
Gear Guru

maybe we can take another year off and pick up where we left off....lol
Old 24th September 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
I just hope nobody out there is tracking drums with PT, the rest i could live with i think !!!.
What's the issue with tracking drums in Pro Tools?

EDIT: never mind... I just read your previous posts and it's apparent your statement has nothing to do with "workflow/usability" of Pro Tools.
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomingbound View Post
What's the issue with tracking drums in Pro Tools?
Can't speak for him, but I notice that drums done direct to PT (or any other DAW for that matter) lack the meatiness of tape.
Of course you can get 1/2 a dozen fatsos but that is going to cost you more than a 2" machine these days.
Even Analog Channel, whilst it helps to a degree, doesn't capture the meatiness- but it does wrap a layer of carpaccio over the digital drums.
IMHO guitars need tape or a fatso to sound right.
Old 24th September 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondjames View Post
Can't speak for him, but I notice that drums done direct to PT (or any other DAW for that matter) lack the meatiness of tape.
Ah yes... of course... I just got a little disoriented on the context of his statement. You and zaza are talking about subjective sound quality.

I caught the beginning of this thread and the context was industry popularity, workflow advantages especially compared with other DAWs. I initially skipped the middle messages on this thread where it drifted off in the general direction of DAW-sound-quality.

I had forgotten that virtually all threads more than 10 messages long about any question for any digital product will eventually lead to the sidebar about "analog-is-better-than-digital". Examples, "Q: how do I upgrade Nuendo? A: don't upgrade, use tape" , "Q: What dealer has the best price for Apogee convert? A: Don't do digital, I have a vintage 16-track for sale which will yield superior sound." ... and so on....

LOL.... alright... I'm context-recalibrated now! Thanks for the clarification.
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

When I got into DAWs, ProTools didn't do midi. When I got into bigger track counts, Macs got faster and MOTU offered an integrated system that could run circles around ProTools. Now that DP can import and export to ProTools, I have no reason to support the DigiDesign monopoly. In fact, it's companies like MOTU that force DigiDesign to keep updating it's product.
Just like the music business got turned upsidedown by Napster, I see the recording business getting fractured by independent platforms like MOTU. So enjoy your ProTools monopoly while you can, because someday your 12K system will be on ebay for $500 while MOTU is reaping the rewards of innovation.
Old 24th September 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
maybe we can take another year off and pick up where we left off....lol
It's inevitable.
Old 24th September 2006
Gear Guru

You have to admit that at least 60-70 percent of techs using PT is because its a standard, its marked so that artist can jump from one studio to another and work on there project which is nice. But i do not have those issues at our studio, i have a few people call up and ask do you use PT ?, i say NOPE, i have it but i do not use PT, i do not want our studio name attached to any project with PT. I have other studios in town that use PT and send there work here for me to work miracles with to try to beef up or warm up, OMG i do the best i can and they are happy with the results but i hate every min of it, hey its MONEY that makes me do it. I have not check but i bet Liivng Color lastest CD is PT, Ouch its so Minnesota Cold.
Old 24th September 2006
Gear Guru

I have to stop posting on this thread, im pissing my slutz friends off and thats not what i want, im just responding my thoughst to: WHY PRO TOOLS !!!
Old 24th September 2006
Gear Guru

I forgot one thing, i dont want to bash the PT guys, but all that stuff on GC walls like PT, Sonar, Waves etc, none of that is me !!!!

Its just not PT, its all of that software, its clean, it has headroom from hell, but lacks alot of the important roots.
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I forgot one thing, i dont want to bash the PT guys, but all that stuff on GC walls like PT, Sonar, Waves etc, none of that is me !!!!

Its just not PT, its all of that software, its clean, it has headroom from hell, but lacks alot of the important roots.
then dont use it. I dont, and do just fine. Use what works for you. For me, Samplitude and Sequoia are my answers. PT doesnt have what I need for my work, and the idea of propreitary hardware to me is absurd.

If people get pissed off from talking about software, they have issues way deeper than should be discussed on a message board. who cares?dfegad

I think PT is a standard because nothing else could compete with it at the time. It will probably be on top for a while. It is simple and it works. People also like Walmart and Mcdonalds and Coca Cola. I prefer Eddie Bauer, olive garden, and mountain dew.
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard View Post
then dont use it. I dont, and do just fine. Use what works for you. For me, Samplitude and Sequoia are my answers. PT doesnt have what I need for my work, and the idea of propreitary hardware to me is absurd.

If people get pissed off from talking about software, they have issues way deeper than should be discussed on a message board. who cares?dfegad

I think PT is a standard because nothing else could compete with it at the time. It will probably be on top for a while. It is simple and it works. People also like Walmart and Mcdonalds and Coca Cola. I prefer Eddie Bauer, olive garden, and mountain dew.
Agreed! Don't use it. Use what works for you...and go make music.

Mix a little Red Bull in with that Mountain Dew Teddy
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

How absurd that there is a sound attached to Pro Tools and nothing one can do alters it.
Pro Tools/Samplitude/Logic/Cubase/Cakewalk/SAW/Nuendo/DP are all vehicles to put sounds to a hard drive that you or someone else creates. If you can't make something sound good on any one of these mediums you shouldn't be producing/engineering.

www.bluethumbproductions.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search