The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sony DPS-R7 Midi and parts replacement
Old 9th July 2005
Gear Head

Sony DPS-R7 Midi and parts replacement

It happened again. I bought a peice of gear via an Auction site, and it came with a bit more wear and tear than advertised. 3 of the display lights in the left channel (-6, -3, 0) are burnt out, and the jog dial is EXTREMELY sensitive. I bought it here in Japan so the pdf manual that came is in Japanese. The reverb unit sounds great though so i want to keep it. 2 questions though

1. Anyone know what it might cost and what would need to be replaced for the burnt out lights? Just trying to get a ruff idea as the seller has said he would give me back 10% cause he didn't know about the problem. I doubt 30 bucks is gonna cover it, but I would like to fix it.

2. Can someone with the unit explain the Midi functions. I want to be able to change the current program by midi if possible because the dial is 3 forward, 2 back type of sensitive.

Thanks in advance
Leon
Old 9th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstole
It happened again. I bought a peice of gear via an Auction site, and it came with a bit more wear and tear than advertised. 3 of the display lights in the left channel (-6, -3, 0) are burnt out, and the jog dial is EXTREMELY sensitive. I bought it here in Japan so the pdf manual that came is in Japanese. The reverb unit sounds great though so i want to keep it. 2 questions though

1. Anyone know what it might cost and what would need to be replaced for the burnt out lights? Just trying to get a ruff idea as the seller has said he would give me back 10% cause he didn't know about the problem. I doubt 30 bucks is gonna cover it, but I would like to fix it.

2. Can someone with the unit explain the Midi functions. I want to be able to change the current program by midi if possible because the dial is 3 forward, 2 back type of sensitive.

Thanks in advance
Leon
There is a company here in the states that specializes in repairing front panels.

The midi functions work as basic program changes.

You can also change the sensitivity of dial in the edit window.
Old 9th July 2005
Gear Head

Thanks

I had no idea you could change the sensitivity of the dial...guess it's all Japanese to me (coudn't resist).

Will give that a try.
Leon
Old 9th July 2005
Gear Head

Jog Dial Sensitivity

"You can also change the sensitivity of dial in the edit window."

Where does this take place? I have been playing with the machine for a while todays and can't find where this is done. My guess was system, but there is nothing like this there. What am I looking for, and what block is it under?

Thanks,
Old 30th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstole View Post
"You can also change the sensitivity of dial in the edit window."

Where does this take place? I have been playing with the machine for a while todays and can't find where this is done. My guess was system, but there is nothing like this there. What am I looking for, and what block is it under?

Thanks,
Old thread, but trying to find this out myself. I can't find mention of it in the manual. ANyone know?
Old 31st July 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dokushoka View Post
Old thread, but trying to find this out myself. I can't find mention of it in the manual. ANyone know?
Hit edit--> then scroll the arrow to where it says system--->press enter--->turn the dial till it says DIAL SENSITIVITY.
Old 31st July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Hit edit--> then scroll the arrow to where it says system--->press enter--->turn the dial till it says DIAL SENSITIVITY.
Odd, mine definitely doesn't have that option. Maybe because its a UK version?
Old 31st July 2007
Lives for gear

I have this unit and it does have a very sensitive dial. I will have to look and see if the unit will allow you to change that but while it is wickedly editable, I don't recall it allowing the dial sensitivity to be changed, though I could be wrong.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Nut

Mine neither, I've got rev 1.10 and there are 16 parameters in the System.
I do remember there was a later rev 1.20 so maybe it's in that one ?

What I have recently discovered though, is the output is making coughing/spluttering noises, also my DSP-V77, equally exhibiting signs of sickness !

I remember having an old Lexicon Reflex that went like this -
that turned out to be a ram problem !
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting, so there is a later revision? Can anyone confirm this? I'd be great to have more control over the dial, although lately, its been staying on the same patch all the time...
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

hate to bring up an old thread. the search function wont let me search for "sony r7".

does anyone have a manual for the R7?
just got one today and i am pretty clueless as to why i am not getting signal out of both channels. i was thinking that maybe an internal setting is causing this.

thanks a million
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Try Sony R-7...I have a manual for it but I won't be able to get to it until next week I don't think.
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Try Sony R-7...I have a manual for it but I won't be able to get to it until next week I don't think.
yeah i tried that too
i guess the search engine wont allow an entry that short
i tried using quotes and still wouldnt work

if you do have that manual, please let me know. i appreciate it
Old 23rd October 2008
Gear Nut

I have one, I'll pm you.

Lyn
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminone View Post
hate to bring up an old thread. the search function wont let me search for "sony r7".

does anyone have a manual for the R7?
just got one today and i am pretty clueless as to why i am not getting signal out of both channels. i was thinking that maybe an internal setting is causing this.

thanks a million
Try EDIT use the jogwheel until you are at 'Input' press ENTER and use the jogwheel to see if the input on both channels are 100%. To get back press Load.
Another thing could be that the input knob on the frontpanel is a 2 channel knob and you turned only the first one heh

Henk
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lento View Post
I have one, I'll pm you.

Lyn
The R-7 manual is nowhere on the net, the other DSP 7 and 77 serie are. So if you or anyone can send me one I'll be very pleased

Henk
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaap View Post
Try EDIT use the jogwheel until you are at 'Input' press ENTER and use the jogwheel to see if the input on both channels are 100%. To get back press Load.
Another thing could be that the input knob on the frontpanel is a 2 channel knob and you turned only the first one heh

Henk
you know, i noticed that 2 channel knob and was trying to figure out what it actually controlled but for the life of me couldnt.
i had to dj last night so i couldnt really get to messing with it. ill check it out today and try your suggestion

thanks a lot
Old 23rd October 2008
Gear Maniac

I have an owner's manual and a tech manual on my site: PME Records Technical Reference

Craig
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Lyn and Craig thanks for the manuals.

One thing that's could be is that your units input mode is set to Mono. In the system block you can change it to stereo. Edit-> jogwheel turn to System->Enter first thing you see is the input mode. If it is set to mono you will have an output on one channel only

Henk
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

you folks on this site are the ****
i think while screwing around looking through the menus i did see that the input was set to mono. i do remember that much. checkin this manual has helped me understand this machine a lot more.
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lento View Post
While we digging old threads here . My unit has rev 1.20 and 17 items in the System block and one of them is the 'Dial sensitivity'
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaap View Post
While we digging old threads here . My unit has rev 1.20 and 17 items in the System block and one of them is the 'Dial sensitivity'
I wonder how you upgrade to that particular rev given that there is no longer any supprt for this beastie?
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

I bought the R-7 from Ebay some time ago and rev 1.20 was in it heh.

Regarding the display's in earlier posts, there must be LCD's in stock of Sony repair or parts shops(?), I heard.

Henk
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Ya know, as I am not in front of mine at the moment, I can't say for sure what rev it has but I am starting to think that I remember seeing 1.20 when it powers up. I need to check out the dial dealio and back off the sensitivity. I have a nice custom greeting programmed so surely I can figure this out. I think the thing even knows when my birthday is too..... way tweakable.
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

1.2 was the last update as far as I remember

Regards the backlit panel, I've recently opened a thread on Geekslutz: Sony R7 and D7

I've got the M7, R7 and D7, had them since new and absolutely love them - if only I'd bought a remote for them too :(

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search