The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How does the Summit TLA-50 compare to the TLA-100A
Old 27th February 2009
Here for the gear

How does the Summit TLA-50 compare to the TLA-100A

Hello I was wondering how the TLA-50 compares to the TLA-100a?

I recently bought a Tla-50 and I am pretty satisfied with it, but was wondering if the Tla-100a would give me even more satisfaction.

I'm mostly using this on non-percussive sources eg. vocals, male and female, acoustic guitar, keys etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 27th February 2009
Gear Maniac

TLA-50 is noisier than the 100.

TLA-100 has higher headroom.

Soundwise, their A/R response is similar. tonewise, TLA100 is (go and shoot at me heh) a bit warmer.

i like them both. i worked with the 100. i own the 50.
Old 1st March 2009
Here for the gear

I own the TLA-100A. I like it a lot. I use it live to compress vocals. I bought it so that I can get boutique compression for live gigs, but without all the knobs, so that I can set the $$ channel within seconds, and then forget about it. I set it to medium attack and release. Being that it's program dependent, it really is dumby proof and exremely easy to use. Compression is invisible until about -8db. After that you can hear it rolling off the highs mildly through about -12. After -12 it gets very noticable. It does not pump/breath. The make up gain is great. I love to push the gain so I can distort it a tad and get a phat sound, and then compress no more than 3-5db. This thing and a Beta58 get you that big up-front sound in a live situation. Never tracked with it.
Old 1st March 2009
Lives for gear

I've owned the TLA-50 and currently have the TLA-100A. They sound very close. I use(d) both for tracking and when you're only taking 1-5dB's off, there's almost no difference. Just make sure you're properly gain staging from the pre or whatever to the 50. I noticed it's easier to get distortion when you push it. The 100 has never caused unpleasant distortion no matter how hard I push it. It's very smooth. They both are for that matter.
📝 Reply