The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DAW based RTA's or cheap hardware
Old 8th April 2003
DAW based RTA's or cheap hardware

Anyone know of a good full spectrum RTA that I could run on a PC-based DAW. What would be great is a standalone application that would see a signal from a SPDIF in on my card. Freeware or shareware would be even cooler. I have the spectrum analyzer plug for Sound Forge which works, but I have to record a bit to Sound Forge and then open the plug, and it's not RTA, only a snapshot.

Or, if someone either has or knows of a rackmount RTA that's at least 20 to 31 bands that would be cool too. I'd perfer not to spend more then $150-200 if I can help it. If you have a used one send an email or PM and let me know.
Old 8th April 2003
Lives for gear

I usually use http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/gram/gramdl.html but it's not like your standard RTA. http://www.brownbear.de/ came highly recommended to me, but the PAZ stuff usually does me fine.
Old 8th April 2003
I use a Beheringer ultra curve occaisionally. 2U rack. It works well. It also does an "auto line up" via its own pink / white noise output and measuring mic & input.

Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

I think Rane make a one rack space RTA rhat was pretty cheap.
Old 9th April 2003
I've seen the Behringer and Rane, both are around $400 or so which is more then I'd like to spend. I'd like to have one around to train my ears a bit more and confuse clients with lots of flashing lights. It's not all that important to me which is why I'm looking for shareware or a used RTA.

E-Cue, I checked out the first link. How is it not like a standard RTA? Is it similar to the spetrograph on the Metric Halo metering thing (the name of which I forget at the moment) or is it totally different?
Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

The Behringer 8024 is selling for $179 US these days. I think Behringer is coming out with a new model and trying to get the old ones off the store shelves.
Old 9th April 2003
Gear Maniac

The new Behringer is only 1U and has a smaller display. If you should only use it for RTA and not for passing audio through it, I say go for the Behringer. Digital I/O (AES/EBU) is optional. On the used market these boxes are dirt cheap now.

I have never used mine for anything but RTA & level metering.
Is it at all useful for sound?

/Mats
Old 10th April 2003
Lives for gear

I realize you are on a PC, but there's a nifty freeware analyzer for the Mac called "Inspector". It supports VST in OS9 and OSX, and also Audio Units. Those interested can look here:

http://elementalaudio.com/products/inspector/index.html
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear