The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Todd Rundgren
Old 12th January 2007
Gear Head

S.L.U.T.

I was always jealous that I didn't write "Slut." It's a nearly perfect rock and roll song.
Old 12th January 2007
Gear Maniac

With the exception of the soul medley on side B, I think "A wizard, a true star," was a great album. My favorite of his.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Maniac

Just found this thread :-)...Todd is a fantastic. Favourite song hmm....well maybe Fade Away but there are countless wonderful Todd songs...I'm on "Interocitor" which is Todd's pay-service to his fans. Last year he uploaded a song called "Frogs" there which is great fun :-). It's an orchestrated song with a melody I find myself humming immeaditly:
"They will hide in every crevice, in any urn, or keg.
If you stand still for a second, they'll be crawling up your leg.
And the stench that develops can leave you agog.
For the air is foul with droppings, and the streets are soaked with gore,
As they're tossed from open windows on the third and second floor.
And what is the sound of a plummeting frog?
It's a sickening flap like a rock in a bog.
They scare the pets and clog the drain. The cow licked one and went insane."

Funny song :-)
Favourite albums:
Hermit Of Mink Hollow
Something/Anything
Accapella

and a strange one but I really like "Up Against it"...it's filled with most gorgeous Todd melodies.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Before you all tear me to pieces: I LOVE TODD RUNDGREN........

As a composer
As a player
As a lyricwriter
As a singer
As an arranger etc etc.....Really first class

but................his mixes ............hm..........I really think he should have someone else produce him.........
Dont get me wrong he s a great producer......but not for a talent like himself........

This is by no means meant to be negative .....like I said......something/anything got me started getting my gear together.........Im a fan.....but still....

I think producer Todd is often in artist Todds way....

And: YES we want him!!

www.nickoosterhuis.com
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Nut

Wildwood Blues
Open My Eyes
Wildwood Blues again
Old 23rd January 2007

How can anyone not mention Caravan? What a song.

And I still think about the original 45 I had with Open My Eyes/Hello It's Me---yes, the 45 was colored RED! And I tossed it in the trash before I knew better!
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
anybody dig him????

I'm not a fan except for "Open My Eyes" which has the coolest low-end ever recorded.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
And I still think about the original 45 I had with Open My Eyes/Hello It's Me---yes, the 45 was colored RED! And I tossed it in the trash before I knew better!
i found the coloured (red) vinyl for Nazz Nazz (album #2) or maybe it was Nazz 3. either way, it was 50 cents at a yard sale. hit and miss, but def worth the psychedelic platter!
-J
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Addict

age 15. first concert i ever saw... probably first time drinking more than 1 beer...

utopia in asbury park nj. they recorded it live. listen to "the wheel" on "another live." the drunken idiot screaming "yeah todd" during the quiet part? um, that would be me. i received a major beat down from some serious todd fans for yelling when i did. lesson learned the hard way.

-d. gauss
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Knebworth festival, England, summer 1978.
Rockpile, Boomtown Rats, Peter Gabriel, Frank Zappa, and The Tubes topping the bill. For the encore they call Todd onstage ad the do the Who's Baba o'Riley in memory of Keith Moon who had just passed away a couple of days before, with Todd taking the lead vocals along with Fee Waybill. ...then ask me why I am not quite as fond of todays rock scene...(ah..the"quality in art is subjective" vs "objective" debate...how many more Zappas, Gabriels and Rundgrens were born in the eighties and are making music of THAT quality today ?)

best regards
Massimo
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:

Cheers! I found mine in the trash circa 1983.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
So come on!

WE WANT TODD AS A GUEST MODERATOR!!!!

Old 11th March 2007
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
He's an amazing tallent. I haven't kept track much lately though.
I like the New Cars stuff.
Old 11th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaza View Post
" Hello its me " ZAZA
" I saw the Light " when he produced Spendler CD a few years back, great CD i might add.
I agree, only record (vinyl) I got with Todd, but I luv it.

I saw the light is a classic, IMHO.

International fields is another song, think that was the name of the Album?

Old 12th March 2007
Lives for gear

Todd as a guest moderator would honestly be too good to be true. Wow. Jules, you're my hero for even mentioning that it's feasible!

Please, Todd!
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Bumping and still waiting.
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for Jesus

What was the record called with the big eyeball on the front,..... im not even sure if it had a name.....

Best record ever

i think it had a song named, Icon .... like a 15 minn long masterpiece

Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Todd Rundgren is on Stephen Colbert's "On Notice" board.

So I am forced to froth at the mouth like a blood-thirsty red-neck at the mere mention of his name.

Long live the Colbert Nation!

He might make great music for all I know... read my signature below!
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for Jesus

THanks Bryan !

Old 17th November 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
His big standout during that period was "A Cappela," which was, in itself, a moment of genius, and if you missed the live tour of it, you really missed out.
This is the only time I saw Rundgren at a small club we played at a few times. Incredible! And yes, "Healing" is a wonderful record! "Time Heals" is a beautiful tune. One from 'A Capella' that is a gorgeous piece that really shows how beautiful his voice is is "Lost Horizon"!

GUEST MODERATOR!!!

Mark
Old 17th November 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
Really !! i'd like to pick up that Liars CD I'll have to hunt it down
HELLO ITS ME
I SAW THE LIGHT
Old 17th November 2007
Gear Nut

He is one of my favorite artists. Constantly rotating what is my favorite Todd song - today it's "Torch Song". In general, I can't get enough of the charm, honesty, vulnerability, soul, etc. etc. etc. in his voice, the creativity in his songwriting, the fleeting sadness of his chord changes - I'm in a good place when I listen to his music.
Old 17th November 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Todd fans. Have you heard the Hall & Oates album War Babies produced by Rundgren? It's brilliant. Probably my favorite Todd related thing after A Wizard, A True Star and the early Nazz singles. It's obviously not a Rundgren album per se and yet it is.

A guest moderator appearance would be amazing!
Old 17th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post

A guest moderator appearance would be amazing!
JULES!!! The people have spoken!
Old 17th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADROOM View Post
Before you all tear me to pieces: I LOVE TODD RUNDGREN........

As a composer
As a player
As a lyricwriter
As a singer
As an arranger etc etc.....Really first class

but................his mixes ............hm..........I really think he should have someone else produce him.........
Dont get me wrong he s a great producer......but not for a talent like himself........

This is by no means meant to be negative .....like I said......something/anything got me started getting my gear together.........Im a fan.....but still....

I think producer Todd is often in artist Todds way....

And: YES we want him!!

nickoosterhuis.com

I was in a band years ago that opened for utopia on a few dates. lot's of fun (willie wilcox is a very cool guy)
imo Todd's talent is un deniable. Still, I agree w/ headroom...sometimes / usually really gifted folks can benefit from the latitude of another gifted set of ears when mix time comes around.

TR's "believe in me" from runt = around 2 min = kills me every time.
Old 18th November 2007
"Hello" it's me by Nazz

His tune "Hello It's Me" was a big hit for him but he did a real nice multi-voice arrangement of it prior to his solo hit when he was in a band called "Nazz".
Very nice harmonies.
That is my very favorite of his.
Although, "Your breakin my heart, your tearin it apart so fuuck U " can be appropriate at times heh
Old 18th November 2007
Lives for gear

my father worked on Nazz Nazz as head eng at Cameo parway..tod used his own engineer

Todd was our first live radio concert in 1970 using phase coherent phone lines to WMMR a local station

i was a gofer and brought in 50 white tower burgers with fried onions

my friend john ferenzik plays keyboards in his band currently
Old 18th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Aw man ... that is truly cringeworthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Guitar View Post
i found the coloured (red) vinyl for Nazz Nazz (album #2) or maybe it was Nazz 3. either way, it was 50 cents at a yard sale. hit and miss, but def worth the psychedelic platter!
-J
It was Nazz Nazz (their 2nd LP, originally intended to be a double LP, titled Fungo Bat).

It would be really great to have Todd drop in for a spell !! He's always been a favorite of mine since Nazz first appeared on the scene. I heard their first LP thanks to my aunt's great taste in music!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search