The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
digital revolution... or was it a coup?
Old 26th February 2009
Gear Head

digital revolution... or was it a coup?

once upon a time,
life was real, not virtual.
by analogy man grew in his understanding of creation,
by analogy he discovered the use of fire, the wheel...
aviation...
...first producing, later recording, sound, our interest at hand here.

then a group of mostly males, often seriously disturbed, all members of one minority human subfamily come along with one brilliant idea.
(needles to say it's the same minority human subfamily that gave us wonderful gifts like: colonialism, slavery on a planetary scale (african holocaust), jewish holocaust, financial elites' world domination, world bank, imf and wto, etc. etc. etc..)

the brilliant idea:
"why don't we translate all major aspects of life into a code of "0's" and "1's" with our proprietary encoding system and then decode it back to them after we sucked all life from it?"

sound a bit like galactus, the fantastic four's arch enemy, no?

so in a few years gone were:
the art of writing a mail and post it with a stamp on it,
the poetry of photography and cinema,
the spirit of conceiving, producing, performing and recording music...
among countless other things.

yes i know, there are exceptions and yes, i know, i am writing this on a connected computer for a worldwide audio forum...

but a vinyl LP of reggae roots' legend burning spear is spinning:

real, analog vibrations feel the room

one love!

Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear
I know I prefer to drive or take a train to work rather than a horse or walk. Viva technology and human development.
Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumbi View Post
once upon a time,
aviation...
There is no analogy in the 'real' world for the recording of sound, it is a completely synthetic concept, and therefore, anything goes.
Sorry to piss on your chips, but that's the way it is. thumbsup

Quote:
then a group of mostly males, often seriously disturbed, all members of one minority human subfamily come along
Yeah, what did the Romans ever do for us, hey?

You're giving us hippies a bad name
Old 26th February 2009
Quote:
then a group of mostly males, often seriously disturbed, all members of one minority human subfamily come along with one brilliant idea.
(needles to say it's the same minority human subfamily that gave us wonderful gifts like: colonialism, slavery on a planetary scale (african holocaust), jewish holocaust, financial elites' world domination, world bank, imf and wto, etc. etc. etc..)

I sugest you read your history - the Arabs sold slaves into the global market first and colonialism existed in ancient times in Egypt, Babylon, China and India.

As far as I know, the Arabs, Chinese, North Africans and Indians didn't have much to do with the creation of the IMF or digital audio....

-tINY

Old 26th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Dude had a good rant going 'til you guys started in with the facts and logic...
Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Seriously? You want to try to make that point?

I guess I'm tired of the whole "everything evil in the world is the fault of the white males" bu11$hit.

-tINY

Old 26th February 2009
Gear Addict

zumbi, I won't rain upon your parade... I will highly recommend you read Marshall Mcluhan's watershed work, "The Medium is the Massage". I think you'll find a kindred spirit in MM. For me, the key point in this context is the concept that the tools used for our expressions tends to define the expression itself.

IOW, if your only tool is a hammer, then every problem starts to look like nail.

Check out some of his quotations here:
The Official Site of Marshall McLuhan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dee View Post

IOW, if your only tool is a hammer, then every problem starts to look like nail.
Ha! That's a good one
Lives for gear

where's Tony with the popcorn?
Lives for gear

Ah, to be a first-semester college freshman again...

Legalize it!

Free Mumia!

Free credit cards!
Old 27th February 2009
Quote:
once upon a time,
aviation...

the brilliant idea:
"why don't we translate all major aspects of life into a code of "0's" and "1's" with our proprietary encoding system and then decode it back to them after we sucked all life from it?"

sound a bit like galactus, the fantastic four's arch enemy, no?

the art of writing a mail and post it with a stamp on it,
the poetry of photography and cinema,
among countless other things.

yes i know, there are exceptions and yes, i know, i am writing this on a connected computer for a worldwide audio forum...

but a vinyl LP of reggae roots' legend burning spear is spinning:

real, analog vibrations feel the room

one love!

Quote:

analogy
n.
    1. Similarity in some respects between things that are otherwise dissimilar.
    2. A comparison based on such similarity. See synonyms at likeness.
  1. Biology. Correspondence in function or position between organs of dissimilar evolutionary origin or structure.
  2. A form of logical inference or an instance of it, based on the assumption that if two things are known to be alike in some respects, then they must be alike in other respects.
Quote:
analogue, analog
n.
  1. Something that bears an analogy to something else: Surimi is marketed as an analogue of crabmeat.
  2. Biology. An organ or structure that is similar in function to one in another kind of organism but is of dissimilar evolutionary origin.
  3. Chemistry. A structural derivative of a parent compound that often differs from it by a single element.
adj.
  1. often analog Of, relating to, or being a device in which data are represented by continuously variable, measurable, physical quantities, such as length, width, voltage, or pressure.
  2. often analog Computer Science. Of or relating to an analog computer.

PS... looking up from my post, I'm sorry I came to the party late...
Old 27th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dee View Post
zumbi, I won't rain upon your parade... I will highly recommend you read Marshall Mcluhan's watershed work, "The Medium is the Massage". I think you'll find a kindred spirit in MM. For me, the key point in this context is the concept that the tools used for our expressions tends to define the expression itself.

Check out some of his quotations here:
The Official Site of Marshall McLuhan
lol, you mean 'The Medium is the Message', not the massage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
I know I prefer to drive or take a train to work rather than a horse or walk. Viva technology and human development.
As long as someone else is grooming, boarding and taking care of the horse, I think I wouldn't mind riding a horse to work for a while. As long as I get to stay home when it rains. The decades old memory of riding my motorcycle 15 miles to and from work in the rain is still achingly vivid. And I live in mostly sunny SoCal.

Hell, I work at home, anyhow, it's moot, I guess. But I wouldn't mind getting some horseriding in, even though the surgeon who pieced me back together after a nasty car vs motorcycle wreck (not my fault) back in '80 made me swear I wouldn't go horseback riding ever again (or a bunch of other stuff, most of which I can't remember)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by iangomes View Post
Actually, it's both...

The Medium is the Massage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I bought that slim and pic-filled follow-up capitalizer when I was in high school in the late 60s.
Lives for gear

Quote:
McLuhan's watershed work is 'Understanding Media' actually, but he's not wrong with the name of the other one.

Funny, I thought McLuhan was out of fashion.
Gear Addict

Quote:
No, it's "massage". Really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
McLuhan's watershed work is 'Understanding Media' actually, but he's not wrong with the name of the other one.

Funny, I thought McLuhan was out of fashion.
I like this bit (from the Wikipedia article I linked to above) which is something I don't think I knew before (and damn, I hope it's true heh ):
Quote:
Origin of the title

The book's title is actually a mistake according to McLuhan's son, Eric. The actual title was "The Medium is the Message" but it came back from the printer with the first "e" in message misprinted as an "a." McLuhan is said to have thought the mistake to be supportive of the point he was trying to make in the book and decided to leave it alone. Later readings have interpreted the word in the title as a pun meaning alternately "massage", "message", "mass age", or possibly "mess age". [1]
Here's a little snuggle up by the fire with a good PDF reading for you:

Diasporic Identity and Representation in Text Based Audio Art

You'll find McLuhan, Derrida, and a bunch other 20th century idea slingers... I haven't read it myself, though. I'm in the middle of a Dash Hammett potboiler. heh
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I haven't read it myself, though. I'm in the middle of a Dash Hammett potboiler. heh
I don't have much time for fiction anymore, unless you count the daily newspaper...
Lives for gear

I have to agree 110% with the OP. That's why I live in a cave. Great analog reverb for mixing in. Who needs plugins?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I like this bit (from the Wikipedia article I linked to above) which is something I don't think I knew before (and damn, I hope it's true heh ):
Here's a little snuggle up by the fire with a good PDF reading for you:

Diasporic Identity and Representation in Text Based Audio Art

You'll find McLuhan, Derrida, and a bunch other 20th century idea slingers... I haven't read it myself, though. I'm in the middle of a Dash Hammett potboiler. heh
I just read that .pdf on an ear break. The theory in it lacks some cohesiveness but for all that it's not a bad piece of work. Done by a friend of yours?
Gear Maniac
You could argue that recording music has ruined music.
Lives for gear

Records *Jumped* Cds *Skip*.... the next format will therefore *hop*
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainchild View Post
Ah, to be a first-semester college freshman again...

Legalize it!
Nothing wrong with that bit
Too biased, he'd fail if it was an academic paper, trust me I know!
Lives for gear

Er, I think you got yourself all a bit confused there Randall, in your hurry to be angry about.... your relationship with your father?

Who knows? heh
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

I guess I'm tired of the whole "everything evil in the world is the fault of the white males" bu11$hit.

-tINY
Not that it wasn't for lack of trying, but even we aren't that good.
Lives for gear

I think Zumbi has a point, somewhere.

I'm not very fond of the Computer take over as well, I mean a lot of professions start to look like sitting behind the computer all day long
and i somehow miss the tactile feel of doing things.

Going to a good record shop and buying a record is a more enjoyable experience than buying it of the net.
Recording to tape and mixing otb give me a much more pleased feeling at the end of the day then sitting clicking the mouse button for the largest part of the day.

same with photography, although I gave the wet thing up a while ago, however If I really need good VIBE pics for something I ask my friend with the old Hassleblad.

Talking to people in real life is more enjoyable than conversing through MSN.
Gear Maniac

OP, have a nice day... turn up the bass......and smoke more. Really.
Gear Head

it's interesting how some people get sensitive.
the reference to who introduced digital technology was incidental and, to the careful reader, i quoted also positive contribution by the same ruling minority (including, of course, recording technology, which, i sadly discovered years ago, wasn't born in africa)
the whole thing was obviously romantic for entertaining purposes but my point i hold strong:

digital technology sucks the life out of reality.
(whether it is by accident or design)
and, as some poster pointed, the extreme facilitation of the process of producing and recording music has lowered and homogenized the standards.

it is always instructive to be reminded how most americans see any "radical" position related to college years.
it seems in those years they get they're free thinking allowance that will expire as soon as they have to enter the job market and uphold the flag of the "free world".

one love.

📝 Reply