The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
My ears are tired (DAC-1, Lucid GENx6-96, O1v96)
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Maniac

My ears are tired (DAC-1, Lucid GENx6-96, O1v96)

Just added a number of new devices to upgrade my studio...and boy are my ears tired.

One clear observation for me; You have to listen HARD to hear a difference in clocks, and D/A converters. Now I don't have golden ears by any stretch....

So on to the Yamaha O1v96;
Very nice board, with the mLAN card, you get 16/16 I/O of 24-bit conversion into a firewire connector on your computer. It has some sick routing that I can't even begin to fathom how I am going to use it (Disclaimer; I am a musician first).

Lucid GENx6-96;
When changing the clock back and forth between the o1v96 internal and the Lucid clock, the difference is REALLY minimal, but it is there. My test sources are the demo songs in Cubase SX 3 (just bought that too...). A little more (sub)bottom on boom bass, a little clearer on stuff like finger snaps and high hat, but I mean, really little. Reverb is a little clearer and more defined on stuff like guitar.

Benchmark DAC-1;
The sound is "tighter" and a little more glued together than through the main outs of the o1v. But again, not by that much. Some of the sounds have a little more "presence". I think I am losing some ambience with the DAC-1 vs. the o1v96 main outs, but maybe that was just noise...lol.

I had to listen for the last two days to hear these things. I am monitoring through Dynaudio BM6A's in an untreated room (that's coming), but I have a pretty good monitoring position. As am aspiring slut I suppose I will keep the Lucid clock and the DAC-1, but I really have to scrath my head on it. The difference with this stuff is not like "lifting a veil off of the speakers" or any other similar analogy I have heard, at least to me. My wife (a typical consumer) can't tell the difference at all between any of this.

Maybe the o1v96 is just really good and not expensive enough to be slutty?

Am I crazy, should I be hearing more of a difference with this gear, or do my ears just suck?
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

i have no d to a conversion for monitiring ,so last weekend i rented a u/a 2192 and hooked it up and i could not hear the difference at all.

mabyee someone else could have ,but i couldnt.

so i returned the unit.(i allready have a/d)

but i will say the a/d on the 2192 was nice.

when i started clocking my system from my mytek adc i noticed a bit of a difference.

the biggest difference i have ever heard was when i went from using mackie mic pres to a great river mp2nv.....now that made a difference.
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Yeah, I just received an OSA rack, 2 X 512s, and 2 X 550a's. That's my next project today is to hook them up. I am expecting a revelation over the stock pre's in the Yamaha...but we'll see.
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

IME good gear shows its worth after you do a couple of mixes with them and compare them to your older stuff done with the cheaper gear.

When I upgraded from Mackie to RNP to A-Designs MP2r difference were all slight when listening on a track by track basis

when I upgraded from delta 66-> lynxtwo that was a noticeable difference but subtle nonetheless

when I moved from ITB to D2b another subtle difference

add all those together its a pretty big difference YMMV

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search