The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pickups for drums ????
Old 8th July 2005
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

now THAT is interesting to say the least...
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

"Microphones take the sound from the air," says Heikki Raisanen, CEO of B-band. "The pickups take the sound directly from the body of the drum, solving the problem of leakage from the other drums. The sound is more natural than that obtained using microphones."

Hmmmm...
I would have to say a more "natural" sound would be listening (or miking) from anywhere else other than sticking my head against the inside of a shell. I associate a natural sound coming from the outside of a drum. But what do I know? Heck, if it works as good as an acoustic guitar pickup... Oh that's right, I haven't used one to capture a "natural" sounding acoustic in ages.

might work well live...?

Is leakage really a problem? Uhh, Depends.........

Andrew
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Head

i have heard a demo in frankfurt and it sounded surprisingly good!!!!
Practically no leakage btw drums, and also without any eq it sounded decent.
it picked the natural resonance of the drum remarkabelly well since i asked the demonstratror to remove the dampers from the drum heads and than the drums begun to sing.
at first it didn't sound that cool at all but it was all due to too much dumping on the heads making them dead!

i think system of down used them on latest recordings!!

definitly would't be my choice for recording jazz, but for heavier music where separation is a must it is probabelly great.
For live it is probabelly awsume and not all that expensive
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

They've already been making guitar pickups that attatch to the body of the guitar or _____ instrument. The headline should read "look, we've found a new use for these"
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Head

As a drummer who's spent about equal time in front of the board and in the tracking room, I can say this sounds very cool but I'm skeptical. If anyone found and sound clips of these, or had a more concrete idea of a project that used them I'd love to hear it.
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

Ummm....might be nice for sample replacing....but I guess at that point, just get triggers.
Old 9th July 2005
Gear Addict

Now all we need is Zildjian to bring back the ZMC-1 cymbal pickups.
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

As a drummers, we all know that a little leakage
is good, that's what make the drums sound natural
and can make it sound big.

if not, might as well use sampling. so i'm skeptical tutt tutt
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

I think it's fair to assume that this would sound similar to using a DI from an electric guitar instead of a guitar into, say, an AC30 and a ribbon microphone. One might argue that the DI is more "natural" --- it is the sound of the guitar, direct! --- but how often do you use DI'd electric guitar? Which do you prefer: the DI guitar or the AC30 with a microphone?

Now ask yourself, do you really want DI drums?

I'm a skeptic about this.

--- c
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya
s --- but how often do you use DI'd electric guitar? Which do you prefer: the DI guitar or the AC30 with a microphone.
Quite often, I must say. The Little Labs IBP and the Analog Man BiComprossor completely changed the way I think about DI guitar. ESPECIALLY for a Vox-type clean sparkle, naturally it's different than miking an amp but for me it's all about mixing up stuff. It's not 'what's better', DI or amp, but rather what fits the song at hand.

I could imagine the B-Band working in this way, although catpturing the room is WAY more important for me with drums than with electric guitar.

Where it might work could be say toms so you get a real dry and heavy attack that you could blend with the OH/room mics. Or for the shell of the snare?

BTW, are these humbuckers or single coils? heh

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker
BTW, are these humbuckers or single coils? heh
heh heh
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Maniac

so what is this spaceage elastic polymer and where can i get it and a data sheet on it?

jeffrey
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Thats just straight crazy. The one thing that I would be worried about is if they fall off easily, because if they were to fall off in the middle of a song live, it would just be bouncing around inside the drum. That spells disaster for everyone involved. Not to say that a mic couldn't fall off onto the snare or toms but, at least you, or a tech would have control over moving it in a split second. Just a thought.
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Maniac

This seems like a real cool idea for live playing, but I doubt pickups would or could ever replace miking in a studio. It would be pretty cool to use them AND mics in the studio though, just to broaden your options. It'd be like DI'ing and miking a bass. Very cool idea though. I want to hear these babies. They would be great for low cash bands with a shi**y room to record in.
Old 14th December 2005
Gear Maniac

So has anyone actually recorded with these? I'm getting a set to test run at the studio and I'm curious as to the results.
Old 14th December 2005
Lives for gear

Sound interesting to me, another flavor to work with. If they sound decent could be very helpful for live, even if only for toms.

Here's a link to the company:

http://www.b-band.com/drum-systems/

I've emailed asking for samples, I'll post'em here if I get some.
Old 14th December 2005
Gear Maniac

Hi guys!

The B-Band -factory is almost at my neighbour. Only 50 km's from here. I could ask if they would give us a change to try them...

AaPee
Old 14th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapee
Hi guys!

The B-Band -factory is almost at my neighbour. Only 50 km's from here. I could ask if they would give us a change to try them...

AaPee
They wrote back saying they don't have any sample clips right now. Aapee, if you go over there, could you take a portable recorder? Of course the company really should do this themselves.....
Old 14th December 2005
Gear Maniac

I'll contact them tomorrow and then we'll see what we can arrange.

AaPee
Old 14th December 2005
Gear Maniac

The cure used C-ducers (high end contact microphones usually used for cello, violin, etc...) they used them on every drum even cymbals. then they overdubbed cymbals running them through a chain of compressors. that's how they get that drum machine sound.
Old 14th December 2005
Gear Addict

I would think that having OHs and a room mic would make up for the lack of bleed problem with these.

I'd be interested to use these on the toms and snare while still using a D112 on the kick and mics for OHs and a room mic for recording.?
I'm half thinking about getting an electronic set though and using DKFH Custom/Vintage. It's getting hard to justify the hrs and work of micing a drumset when samples are getting this good.

What to do...what to do...

Aaron
Old 14th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaronhoffman
I'm half thinking about getting an electronic set though and using DKFH Custom/Vintage. It's getting hard to justify the hrs and work of micing a drumset when samples are getting this good.

What to do...what to do...

Aaron
Not for me it isn't. Even with the best samples you'll never get the kind of finesse & feel that a real drummer can with real drums. And I LIKE the fact that it sounds different each time.
Old 14th December 2005
Gear Addict

Good point.

I hadn't really thought about it always sounding the same.
I don't do drums a whole lot so I haven't gotten used to it yet.

Aaron
Old 20th December 2005
Lives for gear

Although this is strange logic, B-Band says virtually the same thing about their transducer pickups for guitar.... and if anyone has tried recording with the output of an acoustic with a transducer instead of a microphone they will understand how dissapointing the sound is. Perhaps this will perform a little better though, if it does I will buy them, but I dont plan on ditching my mics just yet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search