The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trident S100, most hated piece of gear here?
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

Trident S100, most hated piece of gear here?

I'm skipping the Behringer stuff cause that stuff is only a few hundred bucks. Trident runs 1k plus....
Old 8th July 2005

From what I gather, the S100 is a re-badged Soundtech console. Apparently is was originally designed by John Oram for Soundtech. Is it a Trident? - not really. Wether or not it's actually any good is hard to ascertain - seems that not many people here own one. You should try and hear it before taking the plunge.

Tim.
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

I bought one, hated it. 2 of the pres didn't even work right out of the box , the ones that did sucked. Build felt like ****, felt cheap.
It was so bad to me that I will not touch another piece of Trident gear. Sounds harsh, but oh well.
Replaced it with an API 3124 and have not looked back.
Old 22nd September 2005
Gear Maniac

Bought one and didn't like it. Poor build quality, and lousy sound.
Old 22nd September 2005
Gear Nut

I like mine and have gotten some really good sounds w/ it. i do wish it was a little more consistent, as far as tension on the knobs go, and i do wish it came with something approaching documentation.

contrary to popular belief, the pre's DON'T suck. at least not on mine.

problems:

#1, there's a good amount of crosstalk between the busses, more than i find acceptable. it's not really a problem when mixing, but when tracking, the click track comes thru if i'm cranking it in the phones-- it's not headphone bleed.

#2, i had a weird problem about a year ago in which the whole thing stopped working for a day. power supply, maybe? however it did come back online and work out....

It's a good box but it could be better.
Old 22nd September 2005
One with big hooves

The Trident stuff from the Oram company just isn't in the same ballpark, let alone even the same game as the original Trident designs. I haven't had a chance to use the higher end outboard or the new 5.1 Series 80 but I'm hoping their a lot better then the S100. I used one as a submixer last year and I actaully found myself wishing I had a Smackie instead. The whole thing just felt really plastic to me and the tone? I wouldn't shell out my tacos for one...those Allen & Heath MixWizards are way hipper if you need something small.
Old 25th September 2005
Gear Head

I don't know where some of you guys get your gear from, but I bought a bunch of Trident new stuff and got a 2 year warranty with all of it. Yes, my S100 arrived with a channel out, turned out to be transit damage removing a plug from a socket
on that channel. I reported it to England and they shipped me a replacement overnight in a double skinned carton with extra foam and it arrived in perfect shape. I am sure the first unit left them working and mine was an early unit.
I've been to London engineering and visited their place and they take total care to build reliable products. So, did you guys follow up when you had your problems? I was amazed to see John Oram at his desk at 2 in the morning doing business. Apparently he's done this for years coinciding with 6 pm west coast.
I also have the Trident S20 for overheads which I leave in the studio and run the high level outs to my control room. One unit over drums, another over the grand.
Old 25th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaldo
Bought one and didn't like it. Poor build quality, and lousy sound.
Yes, like I said before. I tested the pres and did not like them at all. I also have an Oram Octasonic which sounds quite cool!

I think the S100 transformerless micpre has nothing to do with the old Series 80 stuff, by the way. If it deserves to be called Trident? I don't think so, but who cares!
Old 25th September 2005
Lives for gear

The knobs in mine were alive! They kept jumping out all the time. That was the first big dissapointment.
I liked the hi band of the eq, IMO sweet...sold it a month later.
What about Quality Control Dept.? Do they have it?

Gear Head

Hi Insomnia, I can't sleep either!
Did you effect the warranty, call Trident, mail them?
What did they say to you? Did you buy it new?

Tell the whole story.
MS
Old 26th September 2005
Lowdbrent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike scott
I don't know where some of you guys get your gear from, but I bought a bunch of Trident new stuff and got a 2 year warranty with all of it. Yes, my S100 arrived with a channel out, turned out to be transit damage removing a plug from a socket
on that channel. I reported it to England and they shipped me a replacement overnight in a double skinned carton with extra foam and it arrived in perfect shape. I am sure the first unit left them working and mine was an early unit.
I've been to London engineering and visited their place and they take total care to build reliable products. So, did you guys follow up when you had your problems? I was amazed to see John Oram at his desk at 2 in the morning doing business. Apparently he's done this for years coinciding with 6 pm west coast.
I also have the Trident S20 for overheads which I leave in the studio and run the high level outs to my control room. One unit over drums, another over the grand.
Visit Purple Audio's site to see the pics. See how much quality does not go into his gear.

I cam close (twice) to buying Oram stuff.
Old 26th September 2005
Lives for gear

I don't wanna start another Oram discussion and you may be right in some points. There are some bad sounding devices like the S100.

But I have to say, I have always been treated very well! He even helped me much more than he needed to!
Old 30th November 2005
CKK
Lives for gear

I really do not understand where all this anger towards John comes from. Its like, you have to bitch-slap the man to be a part of the "coolguys club".

I got the S100 - and I love it.

I do not care whats inside the box
I do not care what it looks like
I do not care to be a part of the "club"

What I do care about, is how it makes my input sound - absolutely lovely, warm, close, transparent with a huge headroom.

I do know that John Oram is a little of (looks like a crossover between a mad scientist and a used car sales person). But he has always been there when I needed info/techsupport on the S100.

Now a days, its like you would be better of having a behringer "console", than a product from John. He's the new target.

I dont care - I love his products. (And I know many high-end studios who does).
Old 30th November 2005
Lives for gear

No anger here. He's a nice guy! I just did not like the S100.
Old 30th November 2005
Lives for gear

All the techincal stuff can get silly and its just a preference anyhow. If it makes anyone feel better, Alanis did her first recording on mackie and adat.
Old 30th November 2005
Lives for gear

In any event, for those who are not Trident familiar, let's not confuse the new Trident incarnation with the original company and it's products; apples and oranges for the most part.

If you have heard / read a lot about Trident and never used there stuff, you most likely are hearing about the original gear i.e. A Range, B Range, TSM, Series 80/80b, Trimix/Series 70 all fantastic stuff.
Old 30th November 2005
Lives for gear

I own one I think it sounds great! Not so great knobs but so what. Depending on the session I think it sounds great on drums as well as keys.

this site is very interesting to me, I see how people on this site HATE the s100, and I also own a tg2 and people on this site LOVE that piece. I find that in some situations the tg2 works and in others the s100 works or the OSA c's work for example...

but anyway I havent had any quality issues with mine, I bought it used and I've had for about a year.
regards
Aaron
Old 1st December 2005
CKK
Lives for gear

I have found the S100 to be very "forgiving".
It really do not care what you put into it - it sounds sweet no matter what.

I cant say that about my SSL console.
Great for mixing - but not allways for tracking.
Old 1st December 2005
Gear Maniac

I use one purely as a line mixer for keys etc. Works fine this way.
Knobs and hardware are tight and solid on mine
For dedicated tracking I have better micpres.
Old 5th December 2005

At the AES show in October, I had the chance to talk to John Oram about the S100 and related Oram products, and this is the story John asked me pass on in this thread (please correct me if I have forgotten anything John).

Oram Ltd manufactured a desk for Soundtech, similar to the S100. Production for the Soundtech desk ceased (not sure exactly why) and Oram was left with around 4000 printed circuit cards and other components in stock. Rather than throw these away, John turned these cards into the S100. These cards are also used for Trident Dream and some of the other Oram console models, albeit with different components fitted apparently.

If you look at the Trident Dream and the S100 and the Oram 4T (I think), you will notice that the control layout is identical due to the use of these circuit boards for the input and EQ sections. The differences "under the hood" I am not exactly sure about.

Regards
Tim Farrant.
Old 5th December 2005
Lives for gear

Has anyone tried or heard an Oram 4T?
Old 13th March 2016
Here for the gear

I love it

I love mine. I have a early one which I heard were much better. The EQ has nice sparkle and punch and Pre's are ok. But it sounds great if you drive it hard.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search