The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering on a budget?
Old 7th April 2003
Gear Maniac

Mastering on a budget?

Hey everyone,

I've got a project for a band I've been working for coming to a close in the next few weeks and I need a good mastering house. Problem is budget is rather tight for the group at this point, but I don't want to send it off to a no name you know? In the past I've used John Vestman and had good results, although I think the time constraints would be a problem with him. (He's usualy booked up months in advance).

So whats your reccomendation. A discography of one or 2 note worthy artists would be nice.

Thanks in advance,
Jon
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

Check out :

http://www.drtmastering.com

different price points for different budgets, and he will do a test master for cheap , so you can hear and decide for yourself...

Can't lose!
Old 7th April 2003
One with big hooves

Define your budget. If you haven't contacted Brad Blackwood you should. He left Ardent not even a month ago and opened his own room.

[email protected]
Old 7th April 2003
Gear Maniac

Is

http://www.discmakers.com/

respected at all? I figured so from the client list...(though that's a duplication list not a mastering list). But they master for reasonable prices (in obviously high-end settings) and will do free test masters. Quick turnaround too...and great duplication + mastering deals.
Old 7th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

And don't forget Bob Ohlsson - I've been very happy with the music I've heard out of Bob's Workroom. 615 385-8051
Old 8th April 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Heterodox
Is

http://www.discmakers.com/

respected at all? I figured so from the client list...(though that's a duplication list not a mastering list). But they master for reasonable prices (in obviously high-end settings) and will do free test masters. Quick turnaround too...and great duplication + mastering deals.
Never really trust the mastering in duplication houses. Discmakers is a bit different, I know they have some nice gear in there but your still better off using someone else. Most of the time the duplicators "mastering" is running your project through a preset EQ and a limiter while they cut the glass. If your lucky they might actually adjust the settings a bit. Yeah, it'll be "mastered: and come back louder and brighter but mastering is so much more. Any good ME will give you a ref so they can make changes before the final product is sent to the duplicators.

BTW, has anyone used DRT? I clicked on the link and man, my head started to spin. Not the easiest site to get around on or understand. Hopefully the work is better then the website.
Old 8th April 2003
Gear Maniac

I've got screwed by discmakers more times then I care to mention. IMO, the reason we ended up there each time was because the various clients believed their hype. Each of the clients had to learn that the hard way. They never went back...

I know of others that like their work. Not me, they still fuck with your stuff even when you tell them to leave your master mix untouched.
Old 8th April 2003
Gear Maniac

er...

Gearslutz - 2
Discmakers - 0

dfegad
Old 8th April 2003
Lives for gear

Used DRT a number of times, and always completely stoked with the work... the guy is truly a 'master' mastering engineer...

Personally I like the site, it has a lot of great info on it... clicking links ain't rocket science, ya know???

Never had a problem with Discmakers either and I don't believe they would touch your master unless you asked them to. Why would they waste their time?
Old 9th April 2003
Gear Maniac

Hey everyone,

Talked to Brad at Euphonic and he was really helpful. So I've got a date booked with him. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

cheers,
Jon
Old 9th April 2003
One with big hooves

Great. You'll be happy with him, he did a record for me today and I can't wait to get it back and have it sound like music.

I think my problem with the DRT site is that there's too much info and it seems to ramble or not be well seperated. I also couldn't find a name anywhere, everything was signed DRT. Now if that's someone's initials it's cool, but how about a full name so I know who to ask for when I call?
Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

David R. Torrey...
Old 10th April 2003
Lives for gear

If you are not sure with the facility and ME ask for a "Demo Mastering"!
Old 12th April 2003
One with big hooves

On second thought, Brad sucks. Don't use him ever. Check out this email from a really pissed off band;

got the disc. sounds Fucking great. only thing is time between songs. be back in Jerey sunday. talk soon.

R

Now, how can you argue with that? He did the thing on Wednesday after spending an hour and a half on the phone, then overnighted a disc to me and to the band's manager in Boston. Gotta love it.

📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear