The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recorded music sales down...
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=dissolva]I don't know how accurate this reporting is. I think these records were released in 2005 and are Platinum certified:

Rob Thomas - Something to Be
Dave Matthews Band - Stand Up
3 Doors Down - Seventeen Days
Mike Jones - Who Is Mike Jones?
Il Divo - Il Divo
Toby Keith - Honkytonk UniversityQUOTE]

Current soundscans as of July 7th, 2005

Ciara - 2,124,681
Mike Jones- 692,942 (shipped platinum- will be certified platinum soon)
Ying Yang Twins- 201,478 (1st week) on their way to platinum plus

as stated already:

50 Cent - 4,022,324
Mariah - 2,298,317
Game - 2,108,423
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=jlotto]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissolva
I don't know how accurate this reporting is. I think these records were released in 2005 and are Platinum certified:

Rob Thomas - Something to Be
Dave Matthews Band - Stand Up
3 Doors Down - Seventeen Days
Mike Jones - Who Is Mike Jones?
Il Divo - Il Divo
Toby Keith - Honkytonk UniversityQUOTE]

Current soundscans as of July 7th, 2005

Ciara - 2,124,681
Mike Jones- 692,942 (shipped platinum- will be certified platinum soon)
Ying Yang Twins- 201,478 (1st week) on their way to platinum plus

as stated already:

50 Cent - 4,022,324
Mariah - 2,298,317
Game - 2,108,423
scuse me while i barf. if there is anything that is less related to music than 50 cent i honestly do not know what it is. (runs, while buttoning up bullet proof vest)
Old 10th July 2005
More cowbell!

I really wish we could start to differentiate between "Entertainers" and "Musicians."

The BIG business for ACTUAL musicians is fairly dead, and has been for some years now. I'm not saying it won't come back, I personally think it will in a few years or so.

For now, media mania and "entertainers" are the big deal--that they happen to represent themselves as "musicians" is irrelevent.

The amusing this is, this same cycle occurred in the time of Chopin and Liszt, and many other times in history. It is only a fluke that Liszt and Pagannini happened to be so celebrated during their lives. It was only after the death of both Chopin and Liszt that Chopin not only turned out to be the most surviving and profound music, but that Liszt basically plagurazied half of Chopin's ideas.

The masses only periodically take notice of real art, in any form, and STYLE has ever prevailed over SUBSTANCE when it comes to getting attention.

Oh, also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp71
Yes, anyone have any ideas on how to adapt, overcome?

Yes heh

Old 10th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Guys... if you look into the details of this they're only including records made on major labels!..

with this information this shouldn't be any suprise to anyone.. as the indy thing has taken off big time lately
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub
For now, media mania and "entertainers" are the big deal--that they happen to represent themselves as "musicians" is irrelevent.

The amusing this is, this same cycle occurred in the time of Chopin and Liszt, and many other times in history. It is only a fluke that Liszt and Pagannini happened to be so celebrated during their lives. It was only after the death of both Chopin and Liszt that Chopin not only turned out to be the most surviving and profound music, but that Liszt basically plagurazied half of Chopin's ideas.

The masses only periodically take notice of real art, in any form, and STYLE has ever prevailed over SUBSTANCE when it comes to getting attention.
well, liszt was most certainly a "real" musician by just about any definition of the term. that is to say, if playing all of bach's preludes and fugues in a private audience for beethoven at age 12, and being asked to transpose any of them on the spot to any key still counts as "real..." what with autotune, and all

liszt also had a distinguished composing career; many of his pieces are performed on the basis of their technical brilliance, but many of his late pieces, such as "nuage gris" are links to the impressionism of debussy and ravel...

to compare franz liszt with clay aiken seems unfair to me...
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
Hey that's great considering quality is down 75% heh
doesn't that usually increase sales?
Old 11th July 2005
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub
I really wish we could start to differentiate between "Entertainers" and "Musicians."
I think the main thing to pay attention to is celebrity. You can earn it by creating relationships or you can pay a fortune and buy it. Today most people create it on television rather than by performing live.

I like thinking of bell curves. All of us are really good at some things and not so good at others. Being a great entertainer, musician, recording artist, singer, songwriter or salesperson are all skills that most of us only manage to master a couple of. People who become stars generally have three or more of these down. A few are great at each role but most aren't. When you look at somebody's overall skill set, their success begins to make sense. Looking at just one skill is why it often looks like that particular skill is unimportant.
Old 11th July 2005
More cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane

to compare franz liszt with clay aiken seems unfair to me...

ok, ya got me there :P

Maybe Saleri and Mozart would have been better examples, though much of that story has been mythologised by the Movie.
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicemaster1500
I enjoy everything by the Simpson family
Especially Bart.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search