The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
fundamental pro tools latency question. DAW Software
Old 23rd February 2009
Here for the gear

fundamental pro tools latency question.

so i've been using the same HD2 system for over a year, and never noticed and/or had this issue...
i'm in the middle of a week long project with a new client who brought in some session files recorded elsewhere. we've been tracking overdubs and have noticed a bizarre timing issue: the tracks that we have recorded are being played back LATE in relationship to the rest of the session. we thought we were just imagining things and that he was actually performing late, but this has been happening with every overdub. this isn't a playback engine issue, right? i mean, it's understandable that the music being currently recorded is being heard a bit late in the headphones... but late during playback? how can this be? is there something in the preferences that could be adjusting the way pro tools takes live material and puts it in time? some kind of parameter deeply hidden in the bowels of HD? like an insert delay compensation or something with the I/O's? The weird things is that when we tried nudging things to line up, it didn't really sound correct until we moved it 1024 samples . we tried running at both 256 and 512. and strangely the buffer option for 128 was not even an option in the drop down menu. this is definitely an option in other sessions. what is up?

we're running a Furman HDS6 headphone system, if that helps.
thanks
Old 24th February 2009
you've definitely got delay compensation turned OFF while tracking, right?
Old 24th February 2009
Can't have plug-ins on the master channel while recording.

TW
Old 24th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
Can't have plug-ins on the master channel while recording.

TW
I'm willing to bet this is the problem...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search