The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shure KSM 27, 32, 44?
Old 7th July 2005
Shure KSM 27, 32, 44?

I had a chance recently to test a Shure KSM 27 against a couple of other mics. I thought it sounded pretty good (very good for the price). Not a very "detailed" sound in my opinion, but essentially pleasing (on male vocals).

I'm curious how the KSMs 32 and 44 compare with the 27. (Strictly in terms of use as a cardiod vocal mic, ignoring the 44's multi-pattern capabilties). Are these essentially the same mics (with progressively better 'features'), or should the 32 and 44 be considered distinct from the 27 (and each other)? The frequency response charts show each mic to have a similar but unique graph... If you have experience with more than one how would you compare the differences?

Thanks...
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

The KSM27 is the same 1" capsule as the 44, but cardioid only.
KSM32 was the first in the series, it is a different, smaller diaphragm and capsule than the other two.

I also thought the 27 was very nice for the money. I sold my U195 and kept the KSM27 over it a while back. Although I finally sold the 27 too...

Steve
Old 7th July 2005
Thanks, that's good info.

Out of curiosity, what did you end up with after parting with both the U195 and the KSM 27?
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

For female vocals: Sony C-48 and ADK A48. sometimes Avenson STO-2
Male vocals: Shure SM7 and AEA R84, sometimes RE20 or SM57.

I almost always use omni or at least very-wide cardioid for female vox, neither U195 or KSM27 allowed that. And the tone variations between those 7 mics above cover a lot of territory. I was mainly able to do this after getting really nice Gordon preamps, they make all mics sound better.

Of the bunch, I think the Sony and SM7 are my favorites now for vocals.

Steve

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search