The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DIY Road case for Console / DAW Coffin ATA Modular Synthesizers
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

DIY Road case for Console / DAW Coffin ATA

I just got my parts lined up. I found a matching pair of trashed flight cases and stripped off all the extrusions, latches other hardware, etc...
All i need is the laminate for the outside cover and the foam to line the inside. Ill post pics when I finish (of course)

Ive started this project, and it is very difficult and time consuming.

On the other hand, if you need a custom size case, and have access to a good table saw, it is probobly the way to go.

I probobly wouldnt built one for standard sizes (keyboards) because you can find a used one pre-assembled for the price it would cost for the wood/hardware (not to mention time)

That being said, if you cant find a used case that fits, building your own with brand new hardware will cost 1/2 the price of a new road-ready or anvil. And if you strip the hardware off a junk case, it can be even cheaper. (It took me 7 hrs. to strip hardware off 2 40x32x7 cases)

The trick to stripping the hardware is to use goof-off or laquer thinner in the joints to loosen the construction adhesive.

Also you want to allow an extra 2-3 inches on either side of the extrusion because the ends can be kind of bent by the time you pry them off.

I am using 1/4in plywood.

Does anyone have a recomendation for a place that sells this hardware/foam/laminate in the SF Bay Area? I DONT want to order online if I can possibly avoid it.

Anyone have a good idea / source for laminate?

I found a good resource here:
Do-It-Yourself Road Cases®

Old 9th April 2009
Here for the gear

Cases

Hi,

I'm a case manufacturer (BradyCases). You can get laminate and glue it yourself but that's a pain in the butt and usually bubbles up. Where are you located? I know several dealers around the US and can give you a close source. Heck, we can cut up the pieces to size for you and ship them.
Old 9th April 2009

Most of your better hardware/lumber stores carry Willsonart (maybe even Home Despot). Essentially, you are making a countertop...

Use contact cement on both surfaces and pressure to put it on the plywood. Make the laminate oversize and trim with a router and a trim bit.

-tINY

Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search