The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bottle Microphones
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Nut

Bottle Microphones

Hey guys --

I am in the process of putting a website together about bottle mics:

http://www.giganova.com/bottle_mics.html

I'd be happy if you could send me more info & updates (omissions, years in production, etc) of bottle mics so I can update the site. Also, if you want me to include more information, just let me know.

Thanks a lot!
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Nut

67 hits and no reply? Help me out here, guys!
If you have more info on bottle mics, send them to me so I can update the web site.

Cheers!
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Just curious, why?
Old 7th July 2005
pan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giganova
Also, if you want me to include more information, just let me know.
How about circuits / schematics?

I have an old Leipzig Bottle humming around...and no Money to give it an overhaul...
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Addict

Can't give you any info, but any site that deals with mics and recording info in general is a welcome one. You've also got a couple of good links as well. Keep up the good work.
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan
How about circuits / schematics?
Good idea! I will see what I can dig up.
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

I dont think your information on the 563 is correct regarding its age. I think they were all made in the east german factory after the war and up until the late 60's, however, thats just what I remember reading (and I own a couple). You should check with gefell to see if they have some real dates for you.

Frost
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

From Gefell history PDF:

Quote:
the centralist regime of the GDR forces private companies to accept state ownership. Like thousands of other companies, Georg Neumann & Co. becomes a so-called BSB („Betrieb mit staatlicher Beteiligung” – company under state participation).
Nevertheless, Georg Neumann, concerned about his employees, offers his Assistance in further expanding the company.
During the 1950s, radio stations in Berlin are rebuilt and production in Gefell continues, both of the known microphone types and of new ones:

- Tube microphone preamplifier CMV 563
With the microphone capsules M 55 (omni), M 7 (cardioid), M 8 (figure eight) and M 9 (omni) as well as M 7 S, M 8 S and M 9 S with short handles

- Tube condenser microphone UM 57, switchable patterns, omni-cardioid-figure eight

- Measurement microphone MM 10 b

And here is the site with most technical pictures about CMV563 I know... it is in Czech, so if you can't understand something, just ask. (BTW the page doesn't work with Firefox, you need to use IE)

http://www.elektroakustika.cz/cmv563.html
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Addict

i think it would be great to give more details of the mics characteristics and perfromance. even it is only your own experiences & opinions. you might also want to consider adding what type of instruments/vocals benefits fom the use of each specific microphones i find a lot of those mics very interesting but don't feel satisfied that i have enough info leaving your website.
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

This would be great for sure if all those mics weren't so old and different from piece to piece. Some generalizations could be made though.
Just a few months ago I completed my second set of CMV563 and I thought, nice now I can record stereo. But those are so different sounds, because one M7 capsule is more tired than the other, I'll have to wait until funds allow me to send the mics to the factory (or elsewhere) for checkup, maintenance, reskinning-cleaning.
Both the mics/capsules have old-character. The capsule is the most important part of the sound, the amplifier body doesn't make as much difference.
It is easy to overload the mic, but not as easy as UM57.
The better capsule is brighter with midrangey character that's great for some vocals. I'm not sure I'd mic bass with it (never tried it though). The "more tired capsule" is darker and smoother in a way, have to admit I like it ;-).
M55K is very bright, M8 sounds lofi/bandpassed. Mr. David Satz explained why at PSW forums. It's a design thing and getting 8kHz "flat" was quite achievement for fig8 at that time and as you know most ribbon mics with fig8 have quite HF rolloff. I tried to EQ it to get some hights and... it can be done. This brings a noise into the light. I can't complain about noise. When I tried cmv for the first time, I expected to hear some hiss, but... there was nothing... nothing drastic above the modern mics I know.

There is some info around here and at PSW and at 3DAudioinc forums. Would be nice to do the homework and quote it or place it somehow under 1 roof.

Where is popular "used by: famous person, another famous person"

Sound examples?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search