The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Little Labs Red Eye..
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Little Labs Red Eye..

Slutz

OK I stuffed up, I needed a DI / Splitter solution with Re Amp ability.

So I bought a LL Red Eye and realised it does either the DI or the Re Amp stuff real well... but I wanted to split DI to DAW and Re Amp to well.. Amp.

So I've ordered another Red Eye with a view to using the Expansion facility, I want to take both Red Eye's and have one as DI and the other as Re Amp when "expanded"

Am I right, or am I missing something here....

I knew I should have just bought the PCP, oh well.... it's only money

Peace

DD
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave
Slutz

So I bought a LL Red Eye and realised it does either the DI or the Re Amp stuff real well... but I wanted to split DI to DAW and Re Amp to well.. Amp.

So I've ordered another Red Eye with a view to using the Expansion facility, I want to take both Red Eye's and have one as DI and the other as Re Amp when "expanded"

DD
what you could do is buy the second Red Eye, use one for reamping, and then take the 1/4" output of the 'reamp one' and plug it into the input of the 'DI one'. Take the XLR out for your DI signal, and take the rear instrument in [which is parallel to the front panel input] and send that off to your amp. There is a ground lift on the front that should take care of any hum issues...

Cheers,
John
Old 16th November 2008
Gear Head

I am an electric guitarist about to create my first home DAW and just found out about reamping. To do this I thought I would need an audio interface, a DI box and a ReAmp box. Then I found the Red Eye and was thinking maybe I can now just get one piece of hardware to carry out both the DI and ReAmp functions.

However Dangerous Dave's post makes me think it won't do both and I will need two of these Red Eyes to be able to record and ReAmp via my interface and sequencer software. I obviously have little knowledge on this subject, but I don't want to buy gear and then when I expand my knowledge say "oh, no, should have got the XYZ box instead!"
Old 16th November 2008
Lives for gear
The red-eye will do both with stellar results. I believe the OP needs to use the DI and re-amp at the same time. The red-eye is an awesome piece of gear! I'm not a paid endorser (wish I was!) but I believe in spreading the word about great products.
Old 16th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dambro2 View Post
The red-eye will do both with stellar results. I believe the OP needs to use the DI and re-amp at the same time. The red-eye is an awesome piece of gear! I'm not a paid endorser (wish I was!) but I believe in spreading the word about great products.
I second the love for the Redeye, it works great.
Old 16th November 2008
Lives for gear

Ditto. We finally got one last week, and I'm wondering how I've existed without it.
Old 16th November 2008
Gear Addict

I just got a Red Eye two days ago and have yet to use it, but I wanted to ask folks who have had one for a while: How's the physical durability of the unit? I was a little surprised to see that the case is made of plastic, and instantly had visions of a bass player stepping on it and smashing it to bits. Thanks.
Old 17th November 2008
Little Labs

Whoa Nelly,
Did one o my weekly searches for questions on any of my products and I saw this. First of all, the case isn't made of plastic, there is a trim around the front panel which is used when it's not rack mounted that's plastic, but the base is aluminum extrusion, and the cover is texture coated steel so HUH?
The only thing that has broke on a Redeye that has been sent back to me is the pot has been kicked in, and that has only only happened a few times out of thousands of units. The Redeye is durable.

The other thing is, if you want to go to the DAW and amp simultaneously, while using it as a DI, you use the instrument in or thru on the rear of the unit to go to the amp. You use the re-amp out for feeding the amp or pedal in re-amp mode. The splitter aspect is confusing people, and I suppose that's my fault. You see for example if you have a rack of 4 Redeyes you can use the expansion ins and outs to daisy chain in re-amp mode so when you feed the Redeye form a line level source you can feed as many guitar level impedance devices as Redeyes (all with transformer isolation so no ground loop issues). I should make this more clear because it's sort of like a rack mounted PCP in that mode, and is pretty darn cool, because you also have a rack of passive DIs in the same package . If you have any questions e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll straighten you out.
all the best
J
Old 20th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Hi guys.

great thread.

I hope i'm not missing something here but would i be right in thinking I wuld need to Red-Eyes if I wanted to send a Gtr signal to two amps and record a DI simultaneously?

I would love to find a box that is 1 in and 3 out (2 high impedance and one DI out). It would be even greater if it had a switchable Input to access a Line level XLR for re-amping.

Maybe thats what one red-eye does? (although bar the split to two amps?)

cheers

j
Old 4th December 2009
Gear Nut

I like pictures and schematics...

Johnathan,
If I understand you correctly:
Quote:
…if you want to go to the DAW and amp simultaneously, while using it as a DI,
you use the instrument in or thru on the rear of the unit to go to the amp.
You wire up your Redeye like this:
Little Labs Red Eye..-llredeyedi-amp.jpg

Quote:
You use the re-amp out for feeding the amp or pedal in re-amp mode.
For the ReAmp, configurations is as follows:
Little Labs Red Eye..-llredeyereamp.jpg

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search