The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Old JBL 4406 or 4408 monitors
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Old JBL 4406 or 4408 monitors

Hi, what is your opinion about these oldies? I have tried the bigger 44 series (the old version) which I liked but never tried the small models.
Old 6th July 2005

Classic, clean, well executed passive loudspeakers.

Some of the best of their era.

Perfectly useable today - even pleasant and a little retro....

-tINY

Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks! thumbsup
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

I had a pair or JBL 4406 as my main near field's when I was in my ADAT days. Light in the lower bass as you would expect, but still loud, clear, punchy sucka's. Now I have 2-pairs of them that I use for my living room stereo and TV surround.
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Nut
I had a pair of 4408's for about 5 years as my main monitor. I loved the way the sounded but I found them to have a bit of a bump in the low end and slightly scooped in the midrange from about 1k to 5k. I did get used to their sound though. They were fun to listen to. I did a crude and highly unscientific measurement of these and my NS10's for grins one day while I had a couple of students in the studio.

I ran a series of tones from 60hz to 16khz through my console after matching levels at 1k. I had my trusty RS SPL meter mounted in the listening position. (like I said very unsceintific). We plotted out the various points 60, 80, 100, 125, etc and their respective SPL levels. Lo and behold, we learned that the 4408's were pretty much the anti-NS10's, the NS-10's having a fairly significant low end roll-off and an accentuated midrange.

I had recently brought my NS-10's out of retirement due to a producer's request and was having lots of difficulty with the frequency response disparity between the two when switching monitors. My solution was to get rid of the 4408's. I replaced them with a pair of Event ASP8's. I find the results easier to deal with now when switching between monitors since the Events have a more present and defined midrange. Just my .02.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search