The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Toft ATB32 Setup
Old 22nd February 2009
Here for the gear

Toft ATB32 Setup

Sorry for creating a new thread... I posted this into an existing threat but never got any replies.. Please bear with me..
-------------

Guys,

I got a question that I am sure is pretty silly but nevertheless...

The ATB-32 has 6 AUX MASTERS - These are the Aux Sends corresponding to the green pots. Ok no problem.

Now there are 8 Stereo FX Returns. Do I assume correctly that these are meant to feed back the signal from an outboard processor (sent vie the 6 AUX MASTERS)? Why are there 8 if there is only 6 AUX Sends?

And.. in the user manual it's said that these are Stereo-Jacks.. why are these Stereo? That means 16 Aux Returns? For 6 Aux Sends? Are the Aux Masters in Stereo, too?

Thanks a lot for enlightening me :-)

cheers,
Z
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do I assume correctly that these are meant to feed back the signal from an outboard processor
Not necessairly, they can be used as additional inputs, as a stereo tape return or a CD playback line. It also can happens that a stereo effect has a mono input, like a ping pong delay. It then comes in handy to have more return than sends.
Old 22nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hi Zorlac,
Some outboard processing will use insert points on the channels, so the signal will derive from and return to the originating channel.

Some outboard processing will take a feed from a channel line-out (or insert-point send) and will return via an aux input.

Some outboard processing will take a feed from one of the aux sends and will return via an aux input.

Some outboard processing (esp those that would typically be used in the second and third modes described above) will take a mono signal, but will return a stereo signal (eg reverbs, chorus, delays etc).

For these and other reasons, you are likely to need more aux returns than aux sends, and while the aux sends are by definition mono, the returns are most frequently required to be stereo.

It's not uncommon to have one or more stereo line mixers providing the option for additional aux returns, since in many mixes, eight stereo returns will still not be sufficient.
Old 22nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I think of the aux sends and aux returns as seperate entities.

Aux sends can be used typically for 2 things. 1 would be an effects send...this is obviously going to be a mono send to your outboard effects unit...but it could also be a monitor send for the musicians you are recording. Each send literally represents a different mix for each musician (not everyone being recorded is going to want the same amount of say bass in the monitors...or drums in their mix...etc.).

Aux returns on the ATB can also be used in a couple ways. Firstly...if you'll notice...the aux returns are a single 1/4 in stereo return...which is a little unusual...but it works perfectly fine (albeit via an adapter...and its obviously going to be unbalanced).

Alot of hardware effects units are stereo...so the common set-up would be say aux 2 out (mono) to a lexicon reverb for a stereo return via 1 quarter inch stereo input into the ATB's aux return #2. You can bring fx returns back either mono or stereo...doesn't matter.

On the ATB...yes there are 6 mono sends and 8 stereo returns...but the extra returns are a bonus. You are not likely to use send #1 as an effects send because it is hardwired pre-fader which is typically not what you want for an effects send...the other five can be used post fader...so i set up effects sends on 2,3,4 and 5 corresponding to my 4 favorite effects boxes. I then stereo return these on effects returns 1,2,3 and 4. That leaves me effects returns 5,6,7 and 8. These i typically supplied as stereo outs from my sequencer/DAW...and are stereo effects/aux busses from digital performer or ableton...or whatever I'm working with. But these extra returns on the mix can literally be used as anything you want to feed the main mix with.

Hope this helps.
-s
📝 Reply