The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analouge summing which DA/AD? Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Hi again.

Would your budget change if you got a summing unit but for a better price?

A gearslut on here builds them per request and he does good work. I'm beyond certain if you need something like monitoring outputs added he can do it.

He built mine which is a 24 channel unit (8 dedicated mono, 8 dedicated stereo) with Cinemag Steel Output transformers. The unit is completely passive, there are no panning controls on the face of the unit, no metering, no volume control. However the unit sings. It is nothing like a low end mixer when it comes to noise specs or flavor. The output transformers put it in an entirely different league. You will indeed need to use a preamp to make up the gain but the unit has an intensely wide stereo image, you can pan inside your daw for the stereo channels. If you skip the monitoring outputs and use a patchbay to mult the output from the preamp you can easily get a unit built for way under 400 Euros.

The GS member is in the USA but for what you get in return will definitely be worth it. Then you can spend the 1700 Euros you saved on your summing device on AD/DA if you so please.

If you are chasing sound then its definitely something to consider.

PM me if you would like to hear some audio examples and no I am not the Gearslut in question.

Peace
Illumination
Thanks for that offer but I am not sure because it is in the USA and when the unit is in trouble I can not with ease send it to a fast repair service.

Does he has a Website can you PM me a link or contact or just send me a download link for the files you will find my e mail on my website below.

andreas
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Welll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
Thanks for that offer but I am not sure because it is in the USA and when the unit is in trouble I can not with ease send it to a fast repair service.

Does he has a Website can you PM me a link or contact or just send me a download link for the files you will find my e mail on my website below.

andreas
Your servicing issues might be correct but the design is simple in execution and since no electricity is involved, there's not really that many issues, unless you drop it down a flight of stairs.

I will pm you the thread that has links to the sound files and the name of the GS.

Peace
Illumination
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
I will pm you the thread that has links to the sound files and the name of the GS.

Peace
Illumination
Could you PM me on that as well? Thanks

-R
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

I had the sumo and got rid of it pretty quickly. If I go OTB I go to an SSL or something like that. Even if all my levels and effect are ITB I do a quick stem mix and run it through the SSL and save time and $.

The sumo didnt impress me and I was hoping it would.

PS

The mix buss compressor is useless!
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Find used Apogee 16X series or Linx 16.
No need for 'better' conversion indeed.
Old 24th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
I had the sumo and got rid of it pretty quickly. If I go OTB I go to an SSL or something like that. Even if all my levels and effect are ITB I do a quick stem mix and run it through the SSL and save time and $.

The sumo didnt impress me and I was hoping it would.

PS

The mix buss compressor is useless!
With all due respect if I read such a comment I am not sure if you ever owned the unit nor read the whole thread.

When I did a test-mix at setup with a summing unit it was like I wrote.
You get a more natural feeling for headroom the way you mix is different.
That means you have to mix into the unit and not to run ITB stems through it with the hope this will gain your mix-plot to 100%

By the way most SSL rooms I know have no time to run stems through their console, they are too busy.
Also this would be an expensive fun the SSL rooms in Berlin I know is not a single one under 1000 Euros a day.
Also I am in doubt about if running stems through the console you have bounced ITB would bring any effort.

So again my believe is that mixing into a summing unit is not so much about an overall better sound as more in an natural headroom feeling for the ear,
as well as that you have mixes in the end which you can with ease also listen to at higher SPL levels.

Try the same with an internal mix and you mostly will have trouble and I am not willed to stay at this trouble route the next 10 years.

So I see this investment more as time saver and more fun during the mixing stage instead off always hoping for the best with a small fader-way on the logic internal mixing window....
So I can drive the unit harder most faders are up and I have peace in my mix if I have to drop a fader a few db....
Mixing internal I mostly have trouble because most faders had not a lot space left dropping them and the signal is getting more and more unclear and distorted the more I have to lower the fader.

This is my personal believe since my test but it took me a long time to find the right terms for it.
After speaking to other engineers I can break it down to this simple formula:

Can you do a great mix internal the box?

YES

Is it fun and not time consuming?

NO!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search