The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Beyerdynamic M160 and FMR RNP
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Beyerdynamic M160 and FMR RNP

Hi all,
Well these are two pieces that I have planned to add to my studio. The RNP will be used as a "go to" pre for pretty much all of my tasks. However, the FMR site says the noise floor is a little higher compared to some other units but it was either the noise floor or the tone that had to be sacrificed so... Anyway, the M160 has a really low output and will need some gain. Will this casue a potential noise problem if the two pieces are used together? Thanks for your time.

Brandon
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Addict

I believe that statement was put on the FMRAudio website almost as a disclaimer. I hear no added noise from my RNP, and it does have plenty of gain. If you do have the extra $1000, however, I highly recommend the Portico instead. But for the price, the RNP is a great pre.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

I use my RNP with my M-160s. They work just fine for my applications which are mostly close micing acoustic guitar, woodwinds and guitar cabs. Plenty of gain and no significant noticeable noise. Might be different if you were using them for room micing or overheads though.
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Cool. Sounds good. Thanks for the input.

Brandon

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search