The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
U87 alternatives?
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

U87 alternatives?

I tried out a u87 ai and realized that is the mic for me. but I can't afford one (yet)

are there any mics that will get me in the neighborhood of that sound for $1000 to $1400?

BTW, I do brit rock type stuff.

thanks
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

TLM 193 if you want a new one. Cardioid only.

You´ll get used u-87s (vintage ones - not ai...) for around 1000 € on e-bay.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

have you checked out the akg 414?
personally i like it on vocals over the u87.. even vintage ones.
the SOUNDELUX iFET 7 might be a mic you wanna look into...
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman
TLM 193 if you want a new one. Cardioid only.

You´ll get used u-87s (vintage ones - not ai...) for around 1000 € on e-bay.
I'm sorry but the tlm193 is not like the u87 its more like a u89 with out the transformer and cardioid.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

I would love to get the ifet7. (insert drooling picture here)

but its out of my price range. the most i could possibly afford would be $1400.

and thats wihtout eating for a few months. I would prefer around a grand.

BTW, I'm scared to make such a large pruchase on ebay since I wouldn't be able to return the mic if theres something wrong. although I did buy a oktava mk-319 and am very happy but that was 45 bucks.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Nut

For a grand, you could try a Soundelux U195?...
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

I liked the 414 alot. its on my list.

but I really like the u87. it seemed to fit my voice best.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

the u195 is definitely on my short list. I'm going to try to rent it to see if its for me.

any opinions on the tlm103 or the tlm127?
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

If you're in L.A., get a 414, TLM 103, or something in the same price range (for everyday tracking), and then just rent the U87 for $30 a day from LAFX when you feel like you need it. In fact, most rental companies do the '4-day week' billing -- i.e.: it's cheaper if you rent it for multiple days.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Nut

For a grand I would recommend a Gefell M930. Very innovative, hand-built and great sounding mic. It comes from the company which is the actual Neumann (unlike Neumann, which is more like Sennheiser these days since they bought them).
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Some others not yet mentioned that are in the same ballpark-
Sony C-38b (2 pattern LDC) / C-48 (3 pattern LDC)
Beyer Dynamic MC740 (5 pattern LDC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj who
any opinions on the tlm103 or the tlm127?
Sold mine- I dont really like the transformerless Neumanns all that much- I think the above mics blow them away....
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

thats a good idea, of renting the u87 and maybe owning a tlm103 or u195 or 414

that said, that gefell looks really sweet.

too many sweet mics!! can't think straight!!
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Has anybody compared the ifet7 (V mode) to the U87? How close are they? What about the Fet 47 compared to the Ifet7 (I mode)?
Old 5th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giganova
For a grand I would recommend a Gefell M930. Very innovative, hand-built and great sounding mic. It comes from the company which is the actual Neumann (unlike Neumann, which is more like Sennheiser these days since they bought them).
Used Gefell UM70s (transformer version) used around $700 US. On ebay once in a while. Very nice mic, multi pattern with M7 capsule. Great mics.
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Head

I've got an iFet7 and a U89 (5 patterns, handles up to 134db, otherwise "similar" to the U87) and when in "V" mode, the iFet7 doesn't sound as "transparent" in the higher freq's - there's an odd 5K - 6K sibilance that it adds that the U89 doesn't have, although it's definitely a bright sounding mic as well. When compared to friend's Fet47's, the iFet7 in "I" mode is quite similar - I love it on kick drum (far enough away and with a pop filter) and bass amps, but my favorite use for it is on a floor tom. So, I don't know if it's a good U87 alternative, but it's a much cheaper alternative to the Fet47.
Old 6th July 2005
Here for the gear

I own an ifet7 and have directly compared it to a u87. The ifet held up pretty well but didn't quite have the same smooth roundness that the u87 had. That comparison was made on a guitar amp (Mesa single rectifier set to clean), didn't get round to trying on Vox. For the record was using API 312 pres.
Still I love the ifet so damn versitile. thumbsup
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

cant you get a used u87 for 1400 off of ebay?

otherwise soundelux u-195
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Is the U87 as dark as the IFet7? What are the sources that you guys like it for, other than bass, kick, toms, and vocals? Has anybody modified it at all?

I like it on vocals (V mode) a lot through the right preamp, and with some EQ. It has a sort of colored sound to it, but I kind of like it. It sounds good on acoustic guitar, but I've ended up using other things.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

You can read my impressions of the U87ai and the ifet7 (and the Kiwi) toward the bottom of this thread: http://www.3daudioinc.com/cgi-bin/ul...c&f=1&t=001298

Basically, I found the ifet7 beefier in the low mids and smoother and creamier on top in V mode compared to the U87ai.

I liked the ifet7 so much I ended up purchasing one.

If you shop, you can get an ifet7 for under $1600.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

I love both 414s [!] and U89s... but neither of them imo has similar character --especially on vocals-- to a U87..

Any sleeper LDCs that will fill that void? Especially reasonably priced ones?
Old 6th July 2005
The Soundelux U195 has a different sound in the mids than the U87. Although it
has a real nice character especially with the fat switch on. I would recommend you check out the Peluso 2247. I have a U87 and a U195 and the Peluso routinely beats out both.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

used blue kiwi aprox. 1200 off ebay
Old 6th July 2005
Used iFET7. This mic rocks for male voxs in V mode.
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

I just finished a/bing the ifet7 with the TLM 127. On vocals it was no contest really - the ifet7 just had much fuller sound (V mode), and really enhanced the timber of the voice.

Comparing it in "I" mode to the 127 the mics were closer in performance. I don't think you an go wrong with either mic, but I preffered the ifet as I felt it had more depth and more verstility.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search