The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What does an "artist demo" mean to YOU?
Old 11th April 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
Exactly. No bank is ever going to loan you money just because you make better hamburgers than McDonalds.

The industry has worked exactly this way since I started out at Motown in 1965.
If these are aren't pearls of wisdom...I don't know what is?

But Bob, its like the saying goes "casting pearls to swine".

heh
Old 11th April 2003
Gear Addict

I have to agree with Bob. My experience as a former promoter and a former bar owner and a musician, and as a recordist, all leads me to believe that the band that can draw a crowd will invariably do much better at getting gigs and label interest, then the band with the kick ass Record. That said it's a smart move for a touring band to have product to sell, and that includes the best recording they can afford to make. If the record is good it's a bonus, that can aid in your negotiating if a label expresses interest, which they won't if you have not demonstrated that you can draw a crowd consistently. So I encourage the bands I work with to get together product and to sell it at gigs. 10 cds sold at each gig can make the difference between riding to the gig in a beater or reliable transportation.
Also most bar owners, and festival bookers I know now want to see some product from the band before they will book them. It's all about building a solid fan base, the odd freebe from the stage can also be a great promo. take care Logan
Old 12th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
So...
The best way to get major label backing is to show them you don't need it! (like the old loan cliche)
Yeah, basically.

Look at what major labels do best:
1) Mass production
2) Distribution
3) Promotion

Now, look at what they do worst:
1) Creative vision
2) Artist development
3) Production

Do you see an opportunity in that scenario? A void that needs to be filled in the "supply/demand" scheme of things?

Labels are now publishing/distribution houses. They cannot be expected to "create" or "nuture" talent. We must do that work...and we can. We have the tools.

It's just a matter of going there...
Old 12th April 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

That's why I've been hoping for more "Sam Phillips/Berry Gordy"
kind of label owners...

Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search