The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
First TRUE studio(hows this)
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7
i would only buy the akg271s headphones if you really need a closed one.
otherwise the akg 240s has a faar better low end and and overal better sound.
i have compared both directly and have owned the 270s model.
i'll probably get ultrasone headphones.. i was gonna choose the 271's mainly as tracking headphones.. i've had 240's leak many times before... i've never had that iissue with 271's... i'll probably get 2 pair of 271s and 2 pair of ultrasones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDrive
What confuses me is you only have 1 mic on your list. ??? I hope you really, really like this Sony mic. You could afford a TON of mics for the price of that mic. Unless you've already got a mic collection you'll be bringing in, you're gonna need more than just a ridiculously nice LDC.
well knowing the artist that will be recording i know they all sound great on the sony. this isn't a studio to get new clients right now... its our private studio in our production house.
i think i'ma back off the sony though and get the bottle with all the capsules. i have a little more time to get everything together b/c the frame isn't done yet.. but the studio builders want us to get the stuff so they can wire everything inside the walls and under the floor i guess...

we're only gonna be tracking vocals at our place. maybe some guitars here and there... if we need live drummers we'll go over the patchwerk studios.

i'm willing to give the sony up but i need something that i actually like to replace it. the bottle is at the top of my list along with the korby kat 4, but thats gonna cost more than the c800G lol
What mics would you recommend? up to about $6000
we do 60% hiphop and 40% r&b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy!!
$25,000 on an ID?

what ever floats your boat...

but half the budget on gear that doesn't effect the quality of audio is my idea of wise spending... again what ever floats your boat.

I'd be getting one of these

http://www.audient.co.uk/Audient_Pro...D=17&ItemID=34

or maybe looking into one of these

http://www.oram.co.uk/dream%20consoles.htm

Or a Neotek seriess III, Elite or Elan.

but, i'll say it again. what ever floats your boat.
well see thats why i ask you guys.. i told you this is my first true studio... no more m-audio and motu
i like the audient console you showed.. i'll look into it.
as for the Id... i can get the id for 12k plus 2 more fader packs comes to 25K.

if they'd give me 100K to add to the budget i'd probably drop it into a Euphonix System 5Mc but they want me to tern out some hits before they drop bread like that into 1 peice.

Warren and Ben, i'm not getting the tascam anymore.. but ben i wasn't gonna use it as an interface.. so i wouldn't care if it blew preamps.. it was just gonna be a controller.. but its outta the picture.. i'm trying to get something that we won't wanna upgrade from for a few years...
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

WELL DAMN TOSS ALL THOSE SETUPS OUT THE DOOR!!!

today we just got a Digidesign Icon (32ch version) with an Hd3...
there's a deal going on with digidesign that if you buy a icon you get a full hd3 system with 3 192i/o's, sync, pre and a bunch of other stuff for 10,000
thats what we did today.. so we now have a full hd3 system :D
to bad i'm a nuendo guy but i have to use pro tools when i work now...
the setup with the pres mics(c800, e47) pres(api lunch box,chandler ltd1,crane song) etc everything came to 114K...
they're gonna come out and give me training on the icon and stuff once the studio is done...

thank you all of helping me out with these setups...
Old 19th July 2005
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Again. Ditch the projector. Get two Dell FPW2005 24" widescreen LCD's. The resolution is VERY good and I prefer widescreen screens for sequencers. They're $779 at dell right now. For $1500 or so you could have an awe inspiring monitor setup
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker
Again. Ditch the projector. Get two Dell FPW2005 24" widescreen LCD's. The resolution is VERY good and I prefer widescreen screens for sequencers. They're $779 at dell right now. For $1500 or so you could have an awe inspiring monitor setup
i'm not sure how i'd do dual monitors with the Icon... we're gonna have a large 21-24inch on the icon and a 42inch hdtv on the wall in front of the wall...
we have a matrox Parhelia video card.. its dual dvi out, 256bit, 256mb... awesome video card. i can use the dvi out to hdtv and connect the tv as an extra monitor...
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Addict

get a korby kat with 2 heads
same price as the c8000 i think
and you can get their c800 capsule, and another one
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

we already paid for everything today... maybe we'll add on later but everything is already paid for. just have to wait for the studio to finnish being built..
o i didn't get the adam s2.5's.. they're to bright.. ended up with the new genelec 8050's.. they sound awesome and they're trully flat too...
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

one word - WOW -
oh yeah,
the akg's are rulerflat but the Sony mdr-7509 is simply the best imho
it's my "for my ears only" hp's
Old 28th September 2005
Here for the gear

I don't get the lack of microphones. No one ever shows up with a live band? There must be ONE live R&B group left in Atlanta. I'm not suggesting anything flashy, but if I had 48 channels of high definition audio i/o, I'd want more than two microphones. Actually, if I had 48 really good channels and 900GB, I would track a three-piece band with 48 decent microphones, all carefully placed (two per drum, four per other instrument, a couple on the ceiling, just wherever they sound good), and then listen to them all and pick which tracks to mix from later. Check out the "with a cheapness" thread for suggestions, since instrument mics aren't part of this studio's bling factor, but more of a useful tool. I'm new here, and although I've played bass for a couple of rappers, I haven't recorded any, so there's probably something I don't understand about this awesome setup that has my mouth watering as we speak. It seems to me in my ignorance that if you're really dedicated to just inputting two tracks of analog sources, you could return the PT BS before they come over with their advertising/training crew, pick up a Rosetta 2000, and output it via AES/EBU to your old MOTU, which would get those two microphones into your computer with BETTER SOUND QUALITY than that whole HD3, which sacrifices the quality of the analog signal path on each individual channel to achieve a higher track count more economically.
Old 28th September 2005
Gear Addict

Let's just hope the room lives up to the gear!

Regards,
Old 29th September 2005
Lives for gear

freebassin we do have other mics for drums and stuff but we aren't gonna use them every day... our live room is kinda the kick it spot. we have a plasa tv, pool tabel.. ppl smoking and drinking(no smoking in the studio)

we aren't to worried about that right now. this is our home studio. next year we're gonna get a building and build 2 full studios with live rooms and baby grand piano etc.. but for now.. the home studio is gonna be mostly hiphop for the next 4-6 months...
we have some big name producers doing quite a few songs for us along with the inhouse porducers including myself. if i want a live drum i can go to the live drums and track hits into pt or Mpc4000/Mv8000.
Old 29th September 2005
Lives for gear

FWIW...

I had an 800G and used it with 1073's and thought it sucked ass... Then THRILLFACTOR told me try it with a 1081/33114/33129/33115 or 31105 and watch it go...!!!!

Apparently the A/B output stage loads a LOT better than the Class A output of the 1073.

I still sold it.. cos it was not a mic for me.. but definately worth thinking about if ur dropping that much coin into a vocal chain. Also seriously consider a Tube Tech CL1B compressor and swap out the tubes.. they are awesome for vox and with a trakker it would be a Sublime vocal chain.

Try and find or rent a 1081 and the new AMS kik serious ass but be sure to get the AMS rack.... its built and powered like a Sherman tank!

WERD
Wiggy
Old 30th September 2005
Lives for gear

this was an old post, freebassin brought it back.. the studio is done. i tried the c800 though a few pres and liked the chandler ltd-1 a lot.
i also got a api lunchbox with a 512,525,550 and 560...
i'm looking at getting a voxbox within the next week or 2.

crna59, the room is awesome. built by the same guy that built so so Def studios
Old 3rd April 2017
Here for the gear

Any advice regarding unlocking my Big Ben? I love the vso, can't get to it. All I get is fsKHz with a flashing green arrow down and a flashing blue dot.
Any Ideas? Thanks
John

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search