The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
why are you an M.E
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Addict

why are you an M.E

I was wandering what made you become a mastering engineer?
Why did you choose to do this instead of recording or mixing ?
Old 5th July 2005
Hearing shot to hell?

Too old?

(just planning ahead for my future)

heh
Old 5th July 2005
Motown legend

At the time I started, in 1965, I would have probably gone into tool and die work if I hadn't been hired as a trainee to learn how to run a disk mastering lathe. I also loved music, radio production, hi-fi and electric trains so a mastering career seemed like a pretty good fit.

The way things worked out, I ended up doing recording and mixing beginning in 1968 until digital audio came along and my friends and I were extremely unhappy about early digital mastering. I had always owned a high resolution sound system for evaluating my own work and this evolved over a period of 25 years into a mastering monitor system comparable to anything in use today. As mastering grew more "creative," my years of being supervised in both mastering and mixing by Motown's quality control department began to come in real handy. I'm still a nerd at heart but I love music and the kinds of people a music career attracts.
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Addict

Maybe I should post this in the high end section , I guess thats the place where M.E's would be , or maybe the just dont want to say how they fell in it...
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Addict

I've been sliding from tracking/mixing work to mastering work slowly over the last 5 years. Would be very happy now to be doing mastering 100% of the time (currently, 90% or so of my studio time is mastering work, and my new studio is being built with only mastering work in mind).

For me, I think the appeal is partly that I have always found myself more comfortable in the role of "editor." Whether I'm writing (most of my day jobs have been as a writer) or working in the studio, I would rather suggest how an existing something might be improved than have a strong hand it that something's creation. I still do create in the studio, mostly for my own satisfaction, but for me there is no more satisfying experience than having someone tell me that the thing they brought to me was very good, but the thing the left me with was even better. Mastering puts me in that position, and I prefer it.

I also like that the sessions rarely last weeks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search