The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beyer M500 ribbon mic
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Addict

Beyer M500 ribbon mic

Anyone knows or owns a M500 by Beyer? Is it any good? I have a M160 myself and I love it to bits! Does it compare to that one? And would $400 be a reasonable price?

Thanks!

Julian
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

$400 seems high to me. I've got an M500.....used it for a while, it never blw my socks off, then I blew the ribbon. I sent it out to Stephen Sank and he did his DX mod on it (replaces the ribbon with an RCA 77 stock ribbon). The mic is much better now, its a little on the bright side as it's meant to be a close talker mic, but its pretty cool. I'm interested in trying it on snare....hope the ribbon holds up!

Don't be fooled by the hype though, even with the DX mod, the M500 doesn't sound like my RCA 77D (also refurbed by Mr. Sank). A ribbon element is just a small component of the mics sound, there's the transformer, the grille, the acoustic labyrinth, the motor (magnet)...it all adds up.

My recommendation, find a blown M500 and send it to Mr. Sank. For less than $400 you'll end up with a nice ribbon mic that'll be quite different from your M160.

Cheers,

Kris
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Addict

Thanks Kris!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search