The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
jim williams masterlink mod.
Old 5th July 2005
  #1
Lives for gear
 
maskedman72's Avatar
 

jim williams masterlink mod.

the search function found nothing on this subject so i shall ask if anyone out there has a masterlink with the audio upgrades mod.

how does it sound in comparison to before?
Old 5th July 2005
  #2
Gear Nut
 

How about the HD24XR mod? Anybody had it done?
Old 5th July 2005
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman72
the search function found nothing on this subject so i shall ask if anyone out there has a masterlink with the audio upgrades mod.

how does it sound in comparison to before?
You didn't search hard enough.

We have discussed this in the past.

It sounds better especially at 96K.

Gone is the sludge.

What you have now is just clean sound.

Took a little getting used to but now i have no problem mixing to this thing at 96K. thumbsup

Jim recommends using another CD player to play CD's since the sound is masked coming off the Mastelink CD player.

I agree.
Old 5th July 2005
  #4
Lives for gear
 
maskedman72's Avatar
 

how about at 44.1k?
Old 6th July 2005
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman72
how about at 44.1k?

What's that?

Just kidding. heh

Seriously i haven't tracked on the Masterlink at 44.1khz in a long,long time.
Old 6th July 2005
  #7
Gear Nut
 

Thanks for the links. I tried to find some info on the modified HD24XR, but no luck. There were a few threads on different forums and they all had a link to one post by .... Jim Williams. It's the one where he talks about his modified HD24XR sounding better than RADAR.

Did anybody else have their HD24XR upgraded?
Old 6th July 2005
  #8
Lives for gear
 
maskedman72's Avatar
 

thanks for the links!!!!!
Old 6th July 2005
  #9
Gear Maniac
 

Maskedman,
The Tempermill studios looks great!
Just a little surprised to find the Alesis 3630 amidst a bunch of Pultec, Neve and Teletronix stash. Maybe you`ve discovered the secret sweet spot on the 3630 that only two people on the planet know about.
Great selection of guitars and amps!
Old 6th July 2005
  #10
Lives for gear
 
maskedman72's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by threm
Maskedman,
The Tempermill studios looks great!
Just a little surprised to find the Alesis 3630 amidst a bunch of Pultec, Neve and Teletronix stash. Maybe you`ve discovered the secret sweet spot on the 3630 that only two people on the planet know about.
Great selection of guitars and amps!
thanks!


the 3630 is the secret weapon in any real 1073 gold channel chain.
Old 6th July 2005
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by threm
Maybe you`ve discovered the secret sweet spot on the 3630 that only two people on the planet know about.
Make it three.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 6th July 2005
  #12
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by threm
Maskedman,
The Tempermill studios looks great!
Just a little surprised to find the Alesis 3630 amidst a bunch of Pultec, Neve and Teletronix stash. Maybe you`ve discovered the secret sweet spot on the 3630 that only two people on the planet know about.
Great selection of guitars and amps!

Rack filler. heh

I agree, the studio looks great. And I also have a JMP50 and an old Silvertone hollowbody. Excellent!
Old 7th July 2005
  #13
Lives for gear
 
maskedman72's Avatar
 

here is what is done to the mlink by jim for those seeking this info as i was(taken from one of the links that threm provided)

- install National LM6172 dual opamps at 3000/us slew rate.

- install larger Rubycon Z series electrolytic caps to extend the low end (and did it ever!!)

- install .01 uf wima poly caps on the input, MIT's on the output.

- increased the power supply bypass caps and installed .1 uf mono ceramic bypasses.

- Bandwidth limiting caps were used on certain stages.

- The opamps used as followers were cut and changed to closed loop buffers.

The converters themselves don't get changed as they're apparently surface mounted to the board and Jim didn't want to risk lifted traces and such. However, the changes he did make do indeed improve the overall sound of the unit - low end is extended noticeably and there's just more overall detail that I can hear. The cost of the mod is $200.00 and is well worth the expense IMO.
Old 7th July 2005
  #14
Lives for gear
 
maskedman72's Avatar
 

does this upgrade only effect the sonic quality when using the analog inputs or will you also get the sonic advantage of this upgrade if you are using is the spdif inputs.
Old 24th August 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman72 View Post
here is what is done to the mlink by jim for those seeking this info as i was(taken from one of the links that threm provided)

- install National LM6172 dual opamps at 3000/us slew rate.

- install larger Rubycon Z series electrolytic caps to extend the low end (and did it ever!!)

- install .01 uf wima poly caps on the input, MIT's on the output.

- increased the power supply bypass caps and installed .1 uf mono ceramic bypasses.

- Bandwidth limiting caps were used on certain stages.

- The opamps used as followers were cut and changed to closed loop buffers.

The converters themselves don't get changed as they're apparently surface mounted to the board and Jim didn't want to risk lifted traces and such. However, the changes he did make do indeed improve the overall sound of the unit - low end is extended noticeably and there's just more overall detail that I can hear. The cost of the mod is $200.00 and is well worth the expense IMO.
I know this thread is 14 years old. But is the Jim Williams mod still available? I have a Masterlink and would love to get it.
Old 25th August 2019
  #16
I'm sending one off on Monday. These days I use Panasonic FR caps and replace most of the converter and psu bypass caps.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump