The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Innertube Atomic Sumthang
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

so a year later...

any more opinions on this beast??????????????
Old 24th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
so a year later...

Tapehiss;

The Sumthang is a box that doesn't play fair. I've made that box do things. Its fun to drive it into more harmonic distortion [gain from the daw or compressors] and use as much syrupy and transformer ridden equipment as you can find with this animal. It needs to be fed some meat because its hungry. Wired in Point to Point, its Eight Custom input Transformers feed Super Stayne Rocket fueled Tube amplifiers that have the capability to send your ears into outer space. The box will hear dc- to hell. Its freaking deep! If you PUSH the unit with your outboard; it gets hairier, but never faded. Its a very good sounding summing amp with a lot of character compared to these other "all headroom- no character" type of boxes. Personally, I think the Sumthang is attractive if you are running all types of favorable "weight" adding compressors and EQ's, RETRO/PURPLE/API/NEVE/MERCURY etc, in between. The Amp has a truck load of input and output headroom, which lets you push the unit into further density and exploded life.
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Addict

I agree with some of what Adam says and disagree with some of it. I am completely hooked on the Sumthang and think it is making a difference in my mixes. But I don't push it too hard as I can hear it distort. I don't peg the meters and leave them there. But I do push it into the red a bit just not slamming. It sounds great. I do not miss my D2buss at all. It is a good box as well though. And I had nice results with it. The Sum Thang gives you Sum Thang extra though. And Stayne is certifiable so that's an extra bonus.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
so a year later...

yeah... one more opinion. you missed out on 1 year of your life with it.
Old 27th June 2012
Lives for gear

I recently picked one up and I really like it a lot! It is a box that will bring a lot to the table.
Old 7th August 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianneve View Post
I kept it. The Thang ads a nice color that isn't too much color like the Chandler and what I think is a better color for me. The high end is really nice. And it has more thud than the D2buss but less than the Chandler.
Ian, Im very keen to get a summing box with a similar sound to a Neve Kelso or Melbourn.
I love the thud and colour from these old classics.

Im closing in on either a Fat Bustard, a Sumthang, or a Chandler.

Having owned two of these, id love to hear you elaborate on the differences in sound?
Old 14th June 2014
Gear Addict

Sum than and Sum thang more

Is also for sale.
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcupmusic View Post
Ian, Im very keen to get a summing box with a similar sound to a Neve Kelso or Melbourn.
I love the thud and colour from these old classics.

Im closing in on either a Fat Bustard, a Sumthang, or a Chandler.

Having owned two of these, id love to hear you elaborate on the differences in sound?
Same question here
Old 15th April 2018
Here for the gear
Have Sumthang 16ch,very satisfied .Tube of different series have a great influence on sound. I preferred 1579.I like Mr.Stayne sound. Atomic Squezze Box 2ch,Sumthang16,Microbrue,U87 retrofit with me now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search