The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Low maintenance $15-$30K consoles.
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo
I know I'm late to the party but I bought my little D&R 5years ago second hand (built in 97 as far as I know). Maintenance costs around: 1000$ (I'm a hack tech - someone with a clue would get those mic pres working almost without money). D&R is still building desks today. They're all on the clean side (not Mackie clean). Check em out - those things are really good and very underrated IMNSHO.

The Neotek is a nice desk too.

Jo
Great idea. A friend of mine has one that sounds really good. Nice boards.
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks to all of you for your tips/mentions/advice etc so far.

Fleaman ... I hear you on the "subjective jargon" that is used to describe equipment characteristics being a difficult line to follow.

I have spent more time on the other side of the control room glass (know what I mean?) and I guess I should be a little less "theoretical" when it comes to my concerns.

Well ... at this stage it still looks like the Audient is a frontrunner for me.

Now I gotta negotiate with the old fella selling his equipment and try to set a price EXCLUDING the Jade!!
Old 13th October 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
These are thick film sip modules which are dipped in black epoxy. A couple of transistors in front of the lowly 5532 opamp. I've never been able to get any details out of Sony on these as a couple of surfboards would be a great way to sub these. It's that 'ol beatles song and dance;
"Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey".

Maybe Randy B. has some internal info on these.

Yes, the 5532 is a great opamp, if it's still 1975. The 8088 processor was great on those 'ol 8 bit computers too. Try to do anything on those today.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie here, and owner of a Sony MXP3036 console since 1997. I've never had any trouble until about a week ago when one of my mic pres went out. I've exhausted every possible option to try and find one of the hybrid "IC"s Jim is talking about, but to no avail.

I agree with Jim that it would be good if we could sub these. Is there any way for me to take the "coating" off my defective part and find out what's inside?

Thanks!
Glenn
Old 13th October 2005
No way, Jose!

This is epoxy, the same stuff that's used to package the IC's. Strip off the epoxy and you dissolve the components.

I have had very good results putting in my baby high speed mic pre cards onto the sony mic pre pcb. I also believe you can get an aftermarket 990 preamp pcb to retrofit the card.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 14th October 2005
Here for the gear

Well, I decided to take the risk and try to dissect the thing and I've had good success. I've just carefully "chiseled" away the coating. When I get to the component level, it seems surprisingly easy to get the last of it off without damaging anything. I've done over half of it, and I can easily see the circuit. I've already found two transistors (you can see one on the left - I removed the other before taking the pic). They are connected straight to the two input pins (1 & 2). The transistors are labeled:

D786
Q F

I found several places in China to get these, and mouser.com has the STMicroelectronics BC337-40 which they claim is an xref part.

I've also uncovered an 8 pin IC with no markings. But according to Jim Williams, this is a 5532. This would make sense as this console is full of 5532s and 5534s.

More to come...
Attached Thumbnails
Low maintenance -K consoles.-sonyhybridicpartialdissect.jpg  
Old 14th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Pass on the Jade.

Burn mother f'ker, burn.....
Old 14th October 2005
Gear Nut

Bones, the Audient is a wonderful console.

I actually have one for sale (I am downsizing), 32 channels x 2 (on the small faders).
I see you are in London, the console is in Belgium. I am willing to sell it for a very good price.
PM me if you are interested.

Cheers
Arthur
Old 15th October 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman
... If you really want good vintage 'Color', then the only way to get it with a console would be with a very expensive and usually high maintenance console like an API, some Neve's, maybe a Daking (Maintenance unknown for this one), etc.

The 'Color' you will get with a low to mid-line console like a Soundtracs is not the color you want. Well, it's not the color I would want. Unless you like your audio to have a filtered quality to it. Unless I can swing an API (for example), I would rather get a clean/smooth console for a reasonable buck and have some colored tools in the rack. To some, this actually gives you more flexibility with color as your console will not be imprinting its color over all your tracks.
BTW, API is rather clean/smooth/punchy compared to say a Neve 80 series (even though you could apply those same terms to a Neve too).

Fleaman
Contrary to what one might think, the Daking console is far from sounding like a vintage console with color. The signal path is very clean, modern and transparent sounding.
Old 16th October 2005
Lives for gear

another vote for D&R.
I own the Orion, 0 maintenance costs!
I think for your budget you get a new one, 32 inline channel+ full patchbay.
their new architecture support surround as well.
Old 17th October 2005
Lives for gear

good to hear you love your Orion lowswing - I just mixed on my Orion after a 2 week break (those damn holidays) - this desk is just perfect for me - if they only made a 56 channel version of it

Jo
Old 17th October 2005
Lives for gear

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SOUNDCRAFT-Ser...QQcmdZViewItem

Has to be worth a look.

PAul Blenn
Old 18th October 2005
Here for the gear

I'm transferring all my attention about the Sony MXP 3000 preamp to this thread, so I don't cloud up the original topic:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10638

Sorry for barging in Bones, and thanks for everyone's input so far. I've posted new info (schematics!) on the new thread. I hope to hear more from you all...

Glenn

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search