The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1/3 rack units
Old 3rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

1/3 rack units

Hi all,
So I've got this rack tray in my rack that has a few pieces of gear in it that are all 1/3 space units. One is the FMR RNC and the other is a Henry Engineering Matchbox HD ( a consumer to pro and back line level matching box). So that leaves an open space for another 1/3 sized unit. That little hole is bugging me death. So I'm wondering what my options are for pieces of gear that are 1/3 rack sized. The ones that I know of are:

FMR RNC
FMR RNP
Henry Eng. Matchbox HD
M-Audio AudioBuddy

What are some others? Maybe I can find something I need to fill that hole. Thanks for your input.

Brandon
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

something from Littlelabs!!!! (1/4 rack) but it'll look fine...and be REALLY useful and GREAT sounding.

Also could be a good spot for another FW drive???...always useful.

Andy
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Alesis Nanoverb. Also Presonus makes a bunch of 1/3 RU stuff now. The parametric EQ wasn't too bad.

Steve
Old 3rd July 2005
Jai guru deva om

Actually the Nanoverb suggestion (or Microverb) isn't bad if you need a little reverb for monitoring use etc. They go for like $20 on eBay for sure...

those little Presonus EQ3B are somewhat useful actually.

War
Old 3rd July 2005
Gear Nut

The Apogee Mini Me, Mini MP, Mini DAC are 1/3 rack aren't they?
Old 4th July 2005
One with big hooves

I dunno, there's a couple things I could think of.

But I must ask...

What do you NEED?
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

I really dig the RNP. It's the obvious choice!

-Synth80s
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Well, I'm still building up the basics so there's a lot I could use from preamp, eq, fx, headphone amp, you name it. Here's what I got:

John Hardy 990/ Jenesn pre -custom one channel
DBX 160VU
FMR RNC
Henry Eng. Matchbox HD
Countryman DI
M Audio Firewire Solo interface
NS10s and Crown DC300A
Behringer balanced patchbay
Behringer UB802 mixer for monitoring
Lacie Triple extreme hard drive 160GB

I was really considering the RNP but Im not quite sure I want that as my main pre. I do want a 2 channel pre that is pretty much a "go to" for everything but I dont think I want it to be the RNP...

I'm just looking for something useful to fill that little hole. Cheap would be nice too..

Anymore thoughts? Thanks.

Brandon
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarbth
I was really considering the RNP but Im not quite sure I want that as my main pre. I do want a 2 channel pre that is pretty much a "go to" for everything but I dont think I want it to be the RNP...
I'm curious about this statement -- please elaborate.

Your description of what you're looking for in a pre is actually how I might describe the RNP. It doesn't offer too much of any specific flavor IMO -- just 2 channels of high quality preamplification (and great DI) in a small form factor at a very good price.

Though I haven't used one to compare, I've read several opinions saying that the RNP and Sytek are quite similar and that the Sytek is a good, high quality "bread and butter" pre.

I think it's fair to say that the more particular the flavor a piece of gear offers, the less widely it can be used. Becuase it doesn't lean too far in any tonal direction, I think the RNP is a great "go to" pre for most sources.

-Synth80s
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I'm not sure really. I was just thinking for a 2 channel pre as my main pre, especially since I'm not using console pres in any form, I would need something on a little higher level. However, considering my experience with the RNC, I'm very tempted to just get the RNP and be done.

On the other hand, I could kind of use one of those nanoverbs for monitoring verb while tracking....

I found a bunch of stuff at markertek that is 1/3 sized: Radio Design Labs.... but it all looks pretty bunk...

Decisions, decisions....
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

little labs ibp!
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Anymore?
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was just thinking for a 2 channel pre as my main pre, especially since I'm not using console pres in any form, I would need something on a little higher level.
I would add a second Hardy 990. These are my "go to" preamps for vocals and acoustic guitars, as well as drum overheads, bass (after D.I.), and numerous other sources.

However, my suggestion for your 1/3rd rack space remains an RNP, if only to give your RNC balanced ins and outs. Add a Funk Logic tray to it to give the whole thing a classy look.
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Hi all,
I found some more 1/3 rack unit for those interested:

http://www.rane.com/ms1b.html - 1 channel mic pre

http://www.henryengineering.com/hestereomix.html - $200 summing device

I havent used either but they're 1/3 rack units so I thought I'd throw them up here...

Any comments on the Rane pre? I searched the forums and found some info but does anyone have anymore to add? Thanks.

Brandon
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Addict

i tried to resist but i cant.

i really think its a bad idea to buy gear based on its size.

what will make your work flow better, what will best address what is missing from your results?

sorry, i couldnt resist
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Maniac

No, no... that's not the point here...

I was just curious about cheap little fun boxes that can fill in some of those holes in the rack. ....hopefully coming across some useful little tools. I'm not looking for what I need necessarily but just tossing around some units/tools that may be a useful addition at a low cost. Yeah it sounds rediculous just to buy something to fill in a hole in the rack so that's why I'm looking for cheap little tools that may be helpful and fill that annoying hole all at the same time. Just a fun discussion to see what's out there...

Brandon
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

C'mon. This is Gearslutz after all! What does "need" have to do with it?
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

BTW, I'd add another RNC. If you want ultimately want another two pre channels, you will eventually want another RNC since they provide stereo, but not 2 independent channels, of compression. You may or may not want the RNP as another pre (I have one so no bias here), but I suspect that another RNC will be useful regardless of what additional pre you eventually purchase.
Old 8th July 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Hi all,
I found some more 1/3 rack unit for those interested:

http://www.rane.com/ms1b.html - 1 channel mic pre

http://www.henryengineering.com/hestereomix.html - $200 summing device

I havent used either but they're 1/3 rack units so I thought I'd throw them up here...

Any comments on the Rane pre? I searched the forums and found some info but does anyone have anymore to add? Thanks.

Brandon
http://www.mojopie.com/ms1b.html

I liked it on snare and acoustic stuff. Not a bad pre at all, little light in the low end.

War
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Warhead... I noticed you sold your Rane pre. Why?

Brandon
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohaku
C'mon. This is Gearslutz after all! What does "need" have to do with it?

Exactly!
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Little Labs IBP

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search