The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Soundfield Mic need info
Old 3rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Soundfield Mic need info

I've found this one on my local Pro audio shop. It's look good to my eyes. What is the best application for this mic?? Anybody use it in Studio? or Vocal tracking?
Old 3rd July 2005
High End Moderator

Great natural sounding mic, works well for surround sound. Make sure it comes with all neccessary accessories. Which version is it? I've been looking for a Mark V system for a long time. What are they charging for it?
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbjazzman
I've found this one on my local Pro audio shop. It's look good to my eyes. What is the best application for this mic?? Anybody use it in Studio? or Vocal tracking?
Was playing sessions a few weeks ago, and a Soundfield was used on the 9 ft Steinway - with the stereo decoder box (don't know the model #), and it sounded great with no other mics on the piano. Really full sounding, tons of detail, but then again, the instrument was fab too! That's my only experience with this mic.

Not for the faint of heart price-wise: more than a few g's, but you can choose the decoder box (stereo/5.1 etc) for your personal needs...

Hope this helps!

regards,
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Maniac

It was SPS 422 (old model) not MK V The shop ask for $2,300 (I'm working on it) I used to see this mic on the the top of the Choir recoding group. I'm not sure about the sound character of this mic. Is it good for the main mic for studio?
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Nut

The imaging is great... no, fantastic. Kind of scary realistic. I'm not in love with tone quality however and it seems to lose focus at distance.

Where I'm staff, we've got two and use them quite a bit for live classical recordings where there'll be a lot of different ensembles and styles of music at hand (as in Bach to Beethoven to Mahler to Cage). The ability to change patterns, move front-back, move up-down, point from side to side is great. As mentioned, the surround thing is wonderful.

The old 422 is a good piece but lacks the B format outputs, I believe. Personally, I'm not sure _I'd_ get it for the price you mentioned. But that's just me. It'd depend on what else I had in the mic cupboard.

DD.
Old 4th July 2005
Here for the gear

It's nice to be able to sit in the control room and vary your stereo pair configuration without getting out of the seat.
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

kbjazzman,

Was going to post this yesterday and ran out of time - some points already covered by other posters, but you may find something of interest...

I've used various Soundfield mics since the early nineties to record loads of different sources: vocals, acoustic guitar/bouzouki/mandola, uilleann pipes (the best mic for this I've heard) string quartet, piano, drums and percussion (great on djembe), double bass, sop./alto/tenor saxophone, choir, centre pair for an orchestral array - you name it.

Upsides: breathtaking neutral-but-warm sound (how do they do that?), at least stereo ability - surround with the right model. Buy the less expensive SPS422B which now has B-format outputs and you have surround for the price of stereo as you can record B-format to four tracks and decode any way you like with the Surround Zone plug-in (costs a fraction of the hardware decoder, - check the website for platforms). Excellent vocal (and speech) mic - very good for calming a ssssibilant ssssinger now, though the older Mk 4 always sounded a bit bright to me.

Downside: the neutral nature of the sound - you may prefer something more coloured on occasion. Wasn't that keen as drum overheads - in the rooms I tried more conventional mics worked better, but drum *ambience*, a different story. Very good on grand piano, but whenever I had the chance to shoot out against B&K omnis I preferred the B&Ks tonally. Not a cheap mic, but SF is like having an entire mic locker in one unit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search