Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdadactyl View Post
Umm, wouldn't that be .0204?

Enough financial advice out of you!
Got me - math was never my strong point! heh
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

Savings. I'm currently working in an IT job to put enough money away for my next large purchases - unfortunately running your own business does not guarantee a constant high quality revenue source.

Give up your vices - whether it be takeaway food or drugs (alcohol, coffee, tobacco - oh, and all the illegal ones too)

If you can afford to smoke, drink booze or coffee - you can afford anything. Just get your priorities in the right order.

By cutting out coffee and buying lunch/dinner, i'm saving $5k a year without even thinking about it.
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

Find a sugarmomma.
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

By getting a loan and paying it off.

I finished my major shopping list. I started learning to use what I bought to the max - without buying anything except for updates etc.

There's a point where one has to say... enough's enough! tutt

Then you can sleep easy and relax. heh cos u don't have anymore need to buy new stuff.

But in practise, it's actually a darn hard thing to do. esp now that plugins are becoming so awesome - every month you're practically seeing brand new plugins / virtual instruments that sound really cool.

Less is more - so I've been told stike

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Find a sugarmomma.
Hands down, the best advice thumbsup

I've got to say 0% financing for 12 months isn't the devil. When these situations arise, i'll usually get a nice something, (usually a toy like a synth or pedal). Otherwise, used only.
I'm a bedroom studio person, and hopefully to the delight of the pros on here, I know what I'd like to track at my house, and I know what needs doing at my friends studio. That way, I don't have a ton of equipment sitting around that doesn't see much use. My goal was and is to be able to capture two super high quality sources at once, and that's not too hard to achieve.

I will say I feel sorry for friends who have maxed out and abandoned credit cards. I have a few of those friends, and they are paranoid to answer the phone .
Old 16th January 2011
Gear Addict

Sell weed.
Old 16th January 2011
Gear Addict

I take the approach of some of the other posters. I sell gear I don't use and use that money to buy gear I want to use. Also, I trade studio time for gear. Recently, I aquired a PTHD2 Accel with (2) 192's for X number of studio days.

Also, some great gear I have here is actually not mine, but is kept here for years because I am the only engineer the gear owner will work with, so they just leave it here!
Old 16th January 2011
Gear Head

i grow five plants at a time in my closet with a bubbleponics system. every three months, harvest, usually get between 10-12 oz. thats 3-$4000 if i sell to the right people. after bills that usually gives me a couple G's to spend on gear. but, marijuana is a "drug"
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne View Post
Stay out of debt is good advice. Buy used or display models. Buy and sell gear as needed...don't be afraid to sell unused gear, even at a discount.

Stay out of restaurants and bars, and movie theaters and save your money, learn how to cook your own meals, keep your other living expenses down...work overtime if you can, a second job or gig...every penny adds up. Buy one thing at a time, and eventially your inventory of gear will build up. Research your gear BEFORE you buy it, as best you can. Download manuals, try the gear out if you can.

Buy used gear on E-Bay from reputable sellers, shop the local stores for bargains, pay a fair price and you usually will get a fair deal. Buy quality and you'll have quality, buy junk and you'll have junk.......don't be afraid to buy new if you can afford it...manufacturer's warantees are nice......

I try to get one new piece of gear every other month or so, and over time, I upgrade my equipment by buying and selling. This keeps my setup current.

Once you get your equipment, take good care of it. Don't bang it around.
Old 16th January 2011
Bit by bit saving up. In all honesty I've sold things for more than I paid for them before, I didn't rip anyone off, I just got a super good deal on it heh

I've worked for a few people in the past who have paid me in old gear, it was easier to get jobs that way and I ended up making more that way than I would have working for cash.

I recently took a loan from my dad to help get the new studio up and running too.
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlestuff View Post
i grow five plants at a time in my closet with a bubbleponics system. every three months, harvest, usually get between 10-12 oz. thats 3-$4000 if i sell to the right people. after bills that usually gives me a couple G's to spend on gear. but, marijuana is a "drug"

thats pretty radical!!!

but better than pirating!
Old 16th January 2011
Gear Guru

How do you finance your gear ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction
Hand on the heart and two fingers on the bible everyone... how do you finance your neverending gear purchases, studio building etc ?

Please share your tips & thoughts.
New equipment is financed from earnings.

40 years ago I financed some items from loans, but since then I've paid up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

We try to buy only used and also purchase gear like > inflation fighting Behringer racks ~!! Most of studio is packed with 20+ year old gear :: Just rent what the client might require ......... We just keep the minimum gear for our market /....... the real financial worry > is to just keep the lights on in the studio.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search