The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RF Hell
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

RF Hell

I was recording someone's vox today with the following signal path:

E47/ neve1073/ purple mc77/ DAW

I've used this signal path many times with the same cables in the same room, but for the first time was getting some noticable RF. With the exception of the E47 cable, the cables are mogami. I took the purple out of the chain--still rf, but less. Tried another mic with a power supply into the neve--still rf. Then tried a ribbon and a dynamic--no noticable rf. The ac to the room has its own circuit breaker which is grounded/earthed physically.

Any idea why, all of a sudden there is rf? What are the best cables to use to avoid rf?

Thanks
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

I've had problems with Soundelux mics at a local studio here. They want to pick up the "classic rock" station at 107.7 mHz! I discovered that careful routing of the cable between the mic and power supply would "null" out the RF. The best case was coiling the excess into approx. a 6" circle and setting the supply on top!

No other mics in that studio have any RF problems, BTW. It seems to be only Soundelux mics.

Bri

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search