The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
KMS105 in the Studio? Compared to SM7? Dynamic Microphones
Old 13th February 2009
Lives for gear

KMS105 in the Studio? Compared to SM7?

Hey Slutz,

I asked a question about mic pres about a week ago and alot of responses came in saying, "get a new mic" which got me thinking. Maybe i do need a better mic.

here is my situation. I will be moving into a bigger rehearsal studio very soon. I am currently doing most of my recording work here in my living room. the rehearsal studio that i will be moving into will most likely be another apartment that i will treat with bass traps, some foam, and a bookshelf in the back to diffuse.

I need a mic to record rock/pop vocals. Lots of slow songs too. Obviously i dont have a great room to record in so i have decided to go the dynamic/stage route. i know the Neumann is not a dynamic but of what i read, it has good cancelling and minimal bleed. I already have beta58s and beta57s. I have always read good things about the SM7 as well for control room recording.

what is everyone's opinion of the Neumann as a studio mic?
Old 13th February 2009
Lives for gear

buuump... i am kinda drunk... but still interested in everyone's opinion... i am drunk and checking gearslutz before i sleep. that is dedication!!!
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

i am adding the shure ksm-9 and the heil pr-35. can anyone help me out?
Old 15th February 2009
Gear Nut

i think the 105 and the ksm9 are about pound for pound. but i still think both function best as a live vocal. for $700 there are other studio condensers to be had. for instance... the KSM32 or 44 are great alternatives from Shure. the sm7b is still a great option at a great price.
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear

hi,
i agree that a condenser might be better but i dont have the really good room to do that with so i was thinking more of a dynamic or live mic... any other thoughts?
Old 15th February 2009
Gear Nut

well the 105 and KSM9 are both condensors. last i checked i believe both have switchable patterns from cardioid to supercardioid.
sounds to me like the SM7 might be your ticket. also look into an RE-20. If you have somewhere you can test these two mics out on your vocal, i recommend doing that.

if you are concerned about the room... get creative. lean some mattresses up. build a fort. stuff a closet and sing in there. there are no rules... only guidelines and preferences.
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbaganouche View Post
well the 105 and KSM9 are both condensors. last i checked i believe both have switchable patterns from cardioid to supercardioid.
sounds to me like the SM7 might be your ticket. also look into an RE-20. If you have somewhere you can test these two mics out on your vocal, i recommend doing that.

if you are concerned about the room... get creative. lean some mattresses up. build a fort. stuff a closet and sing in there. there are no rules... only guidelines and preferences.
only the ksm9 is switchable. i have a kms105 and it is super cardioid only. th4 kms104 is cardioid. i can attest that the kms105 is an amazing mic as my band uses 3 of them. they will tame a lot of the room, but be a tad on the bright side, just to cut through. not enough to say that it is harsh, that is the rode s1!!! i'd say go for the neumann or kms9, then you could use it live. normally i would say that you should get a dedicated studio LDC, but since you room is not so great it should suffice. after that, treat your room. rehearsal spaces benefit greatly from acoustic treatments as well.

rich
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear

bobba- i also want to get an sm7 but alot of the vocals might be for some softer songs. i think i will definitely pick up an sm7 anyway for rap vocals and some harder songs, but for the breathy type of songs i was thinking of the neumann or the ksm9.

rich- i will do acoustic treatment to the room but i probably wont have a vocal booth. I dont plan on laying vocal tracks while players are recording. strictly overdubs. so i guess a condenser would work in that situation. I just love the idea of singing without cans on. maybe i should just use my oktavamod for the slow stuff and get an sm-7 for the harder stuff....

but the question remains, is the kms104/105 or the ksm9 capable of a recording a studio pop vocal? the pr-35 for that matter? i wish i could try them but being in beijing, there arent places to rent gear. thanks for the thoughts
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear

can the kms105 do a pop vocal? question is, how confident are you about your voice? the neumann will take your voice and make it louder. it is pretty damn clean and if you don't have the chops, the neumann will make that overly apparent. it is not a mic you can hide behind like an sm58. so if you feel that your voice is good enough, the neumann will make you better.

rich
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear
i recently got a KSM9 primarily as a go to lead vocal mike for like gospel CDs, of which I do a few every year.

But I am also doing a project with a low baritone voice, who coincidently wanted to record vocals in the CR.

Well, the KSM9 knocked everyone out of the box. Amazing low end. Focused patterns so no feedback. Just outstanding.

BTW the mic is a true two element mic.

Not to knock an SM7 or an RE20, which are amazing, and different sounding mics.

But IMHOP the KSM9 is completely capable of delivering a great studio pop vocal on the right voice.
Old 16th February 2009
Lives for gear

Hey guys,

About my personal voice, I dont want to sound over confident or nothing but i have recorded 3 studio albums for commercial release in taiwan and china. I won a "grammy" for new artist of the year in taiwan. BUT the important thing is that i did it without AUTOTUNE!!! haha. i hate talking about myself. ok back to the subject...

so either the ksm 9 or the neumann can give me a studio pop vocal. that is awesome. Basically i plan on getting an sm7 for the harder stuff and i wanted a condenser for the slow ballads. as i said i dont have a booth so a traditional condenser would not have been good. So the ksm9 or a kms 104.. i guess i will have to wait to just try them out.

i have a meek vc6q but i am looking into gettin a speck micpre. any experience pairing these up with the nuemann or ksm9. must say i am still interested in listening to the pr35 tho.
Old 16th February 2009
Lives for gear

Short answer on KSM9 = Yes. See here. I already said on your other thread what I thought of the Speck preamp, also = Yes.

Steve
Old 16th February 2009
Lives for gear

Steve thanks for the answers. seems like a ksm 9 and the speck would be a combo with later adding a sm7. now gotta get that money.... thanks all

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search