The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
newbie: api 512c or Chandler TG-2 ?
Old 3rd July 2005
Here for the gear

newbie: api 512c or Chandler TG-2 ?

Hi everyone, newbie here.
I'm considering either the api 512c, Chandler TG-2 or maybe even the Great River ME-1NV.

I will be recording heavily distorted guitars mostly since I have an intense love for metal (classic, death, nu, punk and hard rock) This is what my main interest is in for a mic pre. I will be using a Krank Krankentein cab with an SM-57. I think i'll only need to do one track at a time, all overdubs.

What do you guys suggest?
Is the Chandler TG-2 a huge improvement over the
api 512c? Like night and day?

Also does the api require you to buy something additional
like the lunchbox to be able to use or can i simply
connect a mic to it and then connect a cord from the
api to the line in on my computer? I checked out the
specs and info but it's mostly greek to me.

Here is more info you may ask about...

E-Machines celeron 1.40 ghz
(i know, bad! will possibly upgrade or replace in the
future but how could this hurt me now? not compatible
with soundcards such as Delta's since they require
Pentium III? slows computer or even crashes?)

E-Machines speakers that came with computer that sound
good to me but i know, bad! will possibly replace in
the future.

128 mgb ram
40 gb hard drive
soundmax soundcard (i think) (i know, bad! will possibly replace in the future but how could this hurt me now? cause distortion? not reproduce true sound? unwanted noise?)

Acid 3.0
Yamaha DTXpress II electronic drum kit
I plan on getting more mics also.
Any help on anything would be awesome...
Old 3rd July 2005
member no 666

If you're specifically looking for a pre for "heavily distorted guitars" it's pretty hard to beat the TG-2... if you're looking for a rather serious general purpose pre, it's pretty hard to beat the ME-1NV [but I'm probably biased on that one].
Old 3rd July 2005
Here for the gear

By the way

By the way, I'm just a nobody musician looking to get that pro sound.
I don't plan on marketing my music.
Old 3rd July 2005
Here for the gear

So Fletcher (thanks for the reply) , are you saying that the chandler may not be that great for clean tones and vocals where as the great river would be great for both clean tones and heavy distortion and vocals and anything?
I will be recording mostly distortion. This is what I want to sound the best but
will also do clean now and then as well as some vocals.
Old 3rd July 2005
Lek
Lives for gear

Hey Radd
I'm definitely in the minority (perhaps the only one?), but I compared a tg-2 and an api for a week against eachother and chose the api (though I needed more channels as well and would have loved to have kept both money permitting). I'm a guitarist/songwriter first so you might listen more to some of the resident recording/mixing engineer geniuses (like Fletcher, etc), but anyway I highly suggest getting both and doing extensive comparisons with your own ears like I did). To my ears I preferred the api on electric guitars - my rig is vintage strats through a '68 plexi and micing my old 4x12 with a 57 and a royer r121 the api's tracks seemed to jump out of my speakers and headphones compared to the tg2. The tg2 did have this nice big warm sound on acoustic guitars, but again I liked the punch of the api's. I would like to get a tg-2 in the future again as my experience grows and see if it hit me differently.
Old 3rd July 2005
Here for the gear

gp71,
Thanks for the reply. Because of the price you got me leaning towards the api again. I do want that massive in your face punch you mentioned.

What about the connections? Does it require you to buy something additional like the lunchbox to be able to use or can i simply connect a mic to it and then connect a cord from the api to the line in on my computer? Like I said I checked out the specs and info but it's mostly greek to me. The only outputs it mentions are these:

Output on edge connector
Output Impedance: Less than 75 Ohms, Transformer Balanced

I don't know what this means. Do i need an xlr to 1/8 cable? Do I need a soundcard with specific connections?
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

If you finaly go for the API, here is additional info from my "Daking vs. API" thread.
Thanks again to Thethrillfactor for the following post.
Insomnio

For the longest i could not understand why the modules in the console sounded so much better than when in the lunchbox.

The reason is the Api modules are used to seeing a different load when in the console.

Being loaded down differently affects the freq response.

In the console they are creamier and wider sounding.

In the lunch box they are thinner,brighter and a little mid foward.

This is the sonic characteristic i've seen a lot of people attach to API modules.

In talking with a number of people(including API) i've come to realize that the modules are used to seeing a different load on the output.

API recommends a 600ohm resistor.

I tried it and it wasn't as close to the sound of the console.

Again in doing research i ran into a conversation with John Klett and he said he normally sets them up with a 1200ohm resistor on the output.

Tried it and voila!!!

The closest sound to the console out of the lunchbox.

Its not exactly there but pretty close.

I suggest you try it and see for yourself.
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

My experience with the TG-2 as my only mic pre was that it's distinctive color, while great in it's own right, was often the wrong color in particular situations. Either of the other two choices you mention would be less problematic in this regard, in my experience. I've never used a Great River, or a 512 in particular, but I've recorded a ton of stuff with 312's and various neves. While the TG-2 could outperform both in particular situations, I found it less universally applicable than the other 2.

g

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search