The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
adam p33 vs S3A - not really
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

adam p33 vs S3A - not really

Hi ya all!

I've been a lurker for a year now and this is my first post. I currently use ADAM P33's and I have a problem with them. They seem to be unable to handle bass without giving a flutter like sound. It's not really distortion, but more like the cones just aren't handling it. I have a friend who has the S3A's and his don't do that at all. They are super tight, and very rich sounding.

What I'm wondering is if there might be something wrong with mine which doesn't seem plausible because both speakers do it and I can't imagine that they both would have this problem... Or, is my problem just a good reason to be slutty and get the S3A's instead? The iridescent cones look WAY cooler anyway. Has anyone else experienced the flutter problem with the P's?

jayman
Old 2nd July 2005
Hi Jayman, welcome aboard.

I hate to state the obvious but are you sure your room is okay??

I had a pair of 824's (just got 2 S2A's last week but have not hooked them up yet). Anyway my 824's were used in the same room for years then I moved to a new place and they just sounded wrong. As soon as I hooked them up they were thin and when I got the bass to sit like it remembered in the old room my clip lights would start flashing, I knew something was up with the lows in the new place.

Long story short I was pushing the 824s pretty hard to compensate for the nodes in my room, much harder than I thought I was pushing them. 5 Mini Traps did the trick (I am still going to get a few more).

My point is that you should 1) try the S3A's in your room and see what you think and 2) (my guess) your issues may just be lack of adequate room treatment.

3) or maybe not...

heh
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks Michael,

I don't think it's a matter of having too much bass on my mixes (because of an untreated room) which is distorting the low end. I can mix on these fine, and the mixes are translating fine. In fact, I never hear this "fluttering" when playing a whole mix. It's when I have a hip hop type kick, or a low synth bass playing BY ITSELF. That's when it breaks up. I can put a high pass filter on and that takes care of it, but it seems to me that I should be able to trigger most kick drums without it breaking up like this.

Let me know how you like your S2A's. I'm a former Mackie 824 user, and I'll never look back. Flutter bass or no. These Adams rock for sure. I'm just trying to figure out if mine have a problem, or if they're just unable to handle the lows.

Jayman
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

no, i have none of those issues. i can give a 40 hz sinus into, without any flatter, rumble or whatever. it is just pure substance. i agree with the idea that there may be issues with your room.

maybe it is that your kicks and bass is just too low. below 35 they start breaking in the sense that you feel that they are running out of power to translate the information, but - for me it is never a substantial issue, due to default lowcuts.
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

MarkS, are you on P33s?

j
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

yes, i am.
but i am not doing that much hiphop stuff, thus i do not need that much sub low end. however, when i do massive bass boost on kicks and bass, i always set a lowcut on the indidual tracks already, not only because of the monitoring, but rather more the levels are eating ( read overpowering) to much from the main bus.

however, i never experienced your issues.
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman
I currently use ADAM P33's and I have a problem with them. They seem to be unable to handle bass without giving a flutter like sound. It's not really distortion, but more like the cones just aren't handling it.
Jay -

Give me a call at the office on Tuesday - I'll try and help you figure out what the problem is...

(805) 413-1133.

dB
ADAM Audio USA
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks a bunch Bryce. I'll be calling.

Best,

j

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search