The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Joshua Tree...
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

The Joshua Tree...

Man, I forgot how good this album sounds.

I've just put it on on the 'bigguns' whilst I drag/import a load of files into various projects of an album mix I'm doing.
The mixes are ****ing amazing if you ask me and still sound very contemporary.
I've found myself turning it up, then up again, then up again, etc, which is something I don't seem to do a lot these days...

I'd LOVE to hear it with Bono's lead vox taken out too! Because it's the sense of depth and space that I'm digging, and it seems to be counteracted by Bono being right in the middle, at the front (as always).

First time in a while I've enjoyed U2.

actually, 'trip through your wires' just came on and I turned it down a bit...
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

"Running to stand still"

Amazing tune thumbsup

ruudman
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Check out the DVD on the making of "The Joshua Tree" I don't remember who put it out but it is part of the classic album series that includes The Who, Stevie Wonder, Steely Dan, and Hendrix. All of the DVD's are pretty great. Worth a view for sure.

Michael Greene
Old 5th February 2006
Gear Nut

sorry to resurrect an old ghost of a thread, but does anyone know what gear was used on the album?

i'm guessing

Vox: 251 and 58?
Reverbs: AMS RMX16, Eventide H3000, PCM 70?
Compressors: ?
Console: Amek Angela Blue and SSL?

Anyone have the inside scoop?
Old 5th February 2006
Lives for gear

I believe it was a Neve 80--something console and definitely 2" tape.
Old 5th February 2006
Lives for gear

Hi guys

Don't forget that Daniel Lanois also produced SO and the Robbie Robertson solo album ("Somewhere down the Crazy River") around the same time and there is a real cross-breeding of the musicians appearing on each other's albums

All amazing stuff (Especially the Vinyl of SO- IMO much better than the Digitized version. . . . .)
Old 5th February 2006
Old 5th February 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyspiller
All amazing stuff (Especially the Vinyl of SO- IMO much better than the Digitized version. . . . .)
Absolutely! I remember getting a U.K. vinyl of "So" a few years back and comparing it to my CD version, and I was just stunned at how much better it sounded in so many ways....

I take it I'm not the only one who's been replacing cds with vinyl over the past years?

Vinyl rules! Especially when you are listening to "The Soft Bulletin"

Jon

p.s. to get back on topic, Daniel Lanois first record "Acadie" is as lush as Joshua Tree too. Especially the opening track "Still Water".
Old 5th February 2006
member no 666

Notice that the stuff Lillywhite mixed has way more effects than the stuff Lanois mixed... I think both guys absolutely nailed their respective songs... but I found the mixing approaches exceptionally interesting.
Old 5th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio
Check out the DVD on the making of "The Joshua Tree" I don't remember who put it out but it is part of the classic album series that includes The Who, Stevie Wonder, Steely Dan, and Hendrix. All of the DVD's are pretty great. Worth a view for sure.

Michael Greene
That is a great documentary.

I particularly like the bit where Brian Eno tells about the "Where The Streets Have No Name" incident, where they'd been working on this tune for months and getting nowhere. Everybody agreed it didn't sound right but nobody knew why - although everyone liked the original idea.

Frustrated after spending way too much time on this one track that was (in Eno's view) going nowhere, he made an executive decision while alone in the studio one day, and decided to erase the multitrack so no one would have to spend more time flogging the dead horse that the track had become.

He had armed all tracks and was ready to go when the engineer unexpectedly came into the room, quickly ascertained that Eno had lost his marbles, and tackled him before he could actually press the REC button.

Great story, especially hearing Eno tell it with his own dry sense of humor.

Good thing the engineer caught him, it became a fantastic opening track once they got it right.
Old 5th February 2006
Gear Addict

A lot of the album was tracked by Dave Meegan, who is on the same management roster as I am (Z Management), so I will ask him and post something when I learn something. The Classic Albums DVD is great, but it is one of my favourite records, so I will try and find out more direct from the source!
Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

Edge Rules!

I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember loving the bit where Edge is playing through one of the parts from (I think) "With or without you". He plays this really amazing through-composed counter-melody/riff (to Bono/melody). His playing is so textural that it was a treat to hear the part so exposed.

And if I remember right, after he finishes this cool line, in his mellow way, he says sometime funny like, "at the time that gave me a kick."

- Justin
Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

what a nice record ! any infos bout those dvds ?
Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

If you dig the Joshua Tree, do listen to the b-sides of the singles. Some of them are mixed by Dave Meegan, but a few are also Lanois/Eno .

IMHO Walk to the Water/Deep in the heart/Luminous times are (sound-wise) up with anything on the album.

Also, Heartland (off Rattle and Hum) is said to come from the JT sessions, that might be why it has such a different sound from the rest of the Album...

Santiago
Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

In God's Country...

Geat Song

Old 7th February 2006
Lives for gear

Not that it has much bearing on the thread, but I'm going to see Lanois tomorrow night in Georgia. Second show of this tour. Can't wait!

I think the guy's brilliant.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 7th February 2006
Gear Nut

that album sends chills through me just thinking about it. was the reason i started playing music when i was a kid... the "making of" dvd is pretty cool. worth a watch for fans of the album. i especially liked the part where edge was listening back to 'streets' and was like, 'ah, that's what i played- i should've listened to this a long time ago...'
Old 18th April 2006
Gear Head

I saw the documentry about the making of the album and was interested to hear Lanois talking about the track 'Mothers of the ....' he said the unit used for the drum part at the beginning was a PCM-70. Was that unit around when the Joshua Tree was made? I think it may have been one of Enos Eventide units, but which model? what do you guys think....
Old 18th April 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarges
Not that it has much bearing on the thread, but I'm going to see Lanois tomorrow night in Georgia. Second show of this tour. Can't wait!

I think the guy's brilliant.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
and i'm going to see him friday!

i just love his work, he's the da vinci of audio

gonna dig that ol' U2 record out again, i think
Old 20th April 2006
Here for the gear

Definitely not an eventide..but did you know......

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabluemusic
I saw the documentry about the making of the album and was interested to hear Lanois talking about the track 'Mothers of the ....' he said the unit used for the drum part at the beginning was a PCM-70. Was that unit around when the Joshua Tree was made? I think it may have been one of Enos Eventide units, but which model? what do you guys think....
This effect on mothers of the dissappered was achieved by taking the drums from another track (One three hill actually) changing their speed and then processing them tru' various believe it or not SPX 90's!......And transfering the treated drums onto a new multitrack. I'd recorded the original drums but wasn't there for the processing treatment, but on hearing it I thought Brian had used a 224XL(larc) on resonant chords program I asked him if that was what hed done and he explained it was infact highly edited SPX90 Programs, and having previously whitnesed Brian's elaborat and almighty editing skills with DX7's and Spx 90's I can only imagine it took hours and hours if not days! No one on this planet could come close to how good Brian was able to make both Dx7's and SPX90's sound back then.
Dave Meegan
Old 20th April 2006
Here for the gear

Off the top of my head.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarsg
sorry to resurrect an old ghost of a thread, but does anyone know what gear was used on the album?

i'm guessing

Vox: 251 and 58?
Reverbs: AMS RMX16, Eventide H3000, PCM 70?
Compressors: ?
Console: Amek Angela Blue and SSL?

Anyone have the inside scoop?
Some of the gear I can remember using was as follows:
Vox other than Trip tru' was always a shure 58, Danny had a very tempremenal Sony mic (can't remember model no.,) that was used on Trip Tru' Oh and maybe one of my Beyer M88's on another song but I can't remember which one.
also Danny had a magical patch lead that he had since peter gabriel's sledgehamer days,
wich if used to make a split of the vocal and then mixed back in with the original would give a wonderful brightness to the vocal that couldn't be achieved by EQ! I thought it was just an out of phase lead at first so I tried to make one of my own but It didn't work the same way...so it was truly a magical lead.
Reverbs and delays were as you mentioned plus a load of SPX 90's a Lexicon 224XL(larc) an a couple os Korg SD3000 delay units (which I loved) also at windmill lane there was an Old sony digital reverb unit which was beautiful sounding. Also we used one of the rooms in Edges house as a real echo chamber which had speakers fed from a desk Aux and a couple of ambient mikes returning back to the desk.
Consoul was an SSL at windmill lane and An Amek 2500 used at Adam's and Edge's houses.
Tape machines were Otari MTR90's using Telcom noise reduction.
Compressors.. the usual collection of 1176's and I think some DBX 160's and for mixing Sumit loaned us both a compressor and an EQ which I used exclusevly on Bono's vocal.
Monitors I brought my own AR18's which I used for tracking at Adam's and mixing at Edges.I still use this exact set today...... at windmill NS10's were in use. That's what I can remember off the top of my head..
Cheers
Dave Meegan
Old 20th April 2006
Lives for gear

Good to see you here Dave. Welcome!
Old 20th April 2006
Here for the gear

Joshua Tree stuff info

I beleive Steve Lillywhites mix engineer at the time was a guy called Mark Wallis (in fact i know it was I worked with him and he engineered Steves mixes on the album) Mark Wallis is legendary London engineer from this period . Lillywhites mixes would have been done on an SSL . Mark Wallis is the master of compression , and the SSL console. As usual things/sounds are not as they seem . I know the SSL chanel compressors and mix compressor would have been used liberally . Mark got a mix together and Steve came in in the evening , tweaked a few things and the track went down . Multis on 2" analogue tape , mixing to 1/2 inch stereo . Steve had the ability to walk into the room , listen to a mix , tweak a pan here and an eq there and make it sound seriously good . Mark nailed the basic mix .
I have read a million words about compression and stuff in forums/mags etc but still chuckle at the fact that most hit records are compressed to **** in the right way and sound great and exciting . As Mark once said the whole idea is to make everything sound as exciting as possible . If you stand next to a drumkit in the room it sounds really exciting , but once mic'ed etc it doesent sound as exciting in the control room say on a pair of NS10s at low volume . The trick is to recreate the illusion of the excitement on the monitors . Compression was and is the main tool for the job . If its compressed right it sounds exciting and needs less eq.
Cheers,
The fridge(pat)
Old 20th April 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
what a nice record ! any infos bout those dvds ?
You can find all of those DVDs on Amazon. I see them pop up on eBay sometimes, too.

Be sure to check out the Pink Floyd DVD as well. Very cool.
Old 20th April 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl
Good to see you here Dave. Welcome!
I second that! That's fascinating stuff Dave. Would love to hear more. I've been following both Eno and Lanois for decades... I first saw Laonis at the Roxy supporting his Acadie release in '89 I think. Amazing....
Old 20th April 2006
Lives for gear

This thread popped up from a bit ago, it seems, but in response to an earlier post, i have been doing the same thing: buying everything on vinyl. Most everything sounds a bit better, some not so much, but i have several albums that just completely blow away the c.d. version and it's like a whole different experience.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Head

Thanks for the info Dave.

Did you say that the vocals were recorded on a Shure SM-58?
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Addict

This is my favorite thread!!!
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
Notice that the stuff Lillywhite mixed has way more effects than the stuff Lanois mixed... I think both guys absolutely nailed their respective songs... but I found the mixing approaches exceptionally interesting.
I put on an old copy of "Boy" last night and I remembered how damn good Steve Lillywhite can be. Especially side 2. That record has some excitement happening.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

DaveM, thank you for all the great info!

I read somewhere that Edge's guitars were usually recorded wet, as in if Edge is playing a guitar line with delay, what was recorded was the actual tone with delay (and other effects), not a dry guitar sound that was later effected, do you know if this is true?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search