The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Joemeek
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Addict

Joemeek

Hello Everyone!

I've seen Joe Meek gear in the past but never used any.
Now I've noticed that it's changed hands and owned by PMI?
Does Ted Fletcher still do the designs?
Was the old stuff any good?
Is the new any better?
Thanks for any insight!
--Squish
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Addict

Also, What about their mics?
Are they any good or just more of the same?
Thanks Again!
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

The brick was good!
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
The brick was good!
Hi Max,
Thanks for the reply. Do you remember what the model number is?
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

The jm27 sd condenser pretty much sucks! I just got mine about a month ago.

Jm27 discussion
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djavid15
The jm27 sd condenser pretty much sucks! I just got mine about a month ago.

Jm27 discussion
Thanks for the report. I've seen their offer to get free mics when you buy the gear.
I guess, it's not to get ALL that excited about, eh.
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

The only Joe Meek stuff that i have liked is the old SC2 or SC3 compressor....I own an prototype SC3 comp ,that is one piece of gear I will never sell....I love it
Everything else I have try just didnt do much for me.

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish
Hello Everyone!

I've seen Joe Meek gear in the past but never used any.
Now I've noticed that it's changed hands and owned by PMI?
Does Ted Fletcher still do the designs?
Was the old stuff any good?
Is the new any better?
Thanks for any insight!
--Squish
Looks like Allan missed this thread, so I'll pick it up - a bit late, but WTH!

Ted Fletcher is in no way associated with the new Joemeek line. All the new "channel" designs are the work of Allan Bradford from the UK. Allan was responsible for some of the CLM Dynamics designs - way back when.

Athe only thing the same is the color, and the fact that we still use optical compressors for a bit of that "classic Meek" sound. The threeQ and twinQ have received positive reviews, both here on the forums and in the magazines. There WERE some early issues with the twinQ that have been resolved. We have two more channels on the way. The oneQ will begin shipping around the 3rd week of August - and promises to be a pretty damn cool product. The sixQ will follow - about a month or so behind.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact myself or anyone here at PMI directly.
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Maniac

i own an old joemeek sc2 and i really really love this piece of junk ( ) for putting bass+kickdrum into it, and sometime the whole drum buss or the snare. i will never part from that unit, i just really love it.
Old 28th July 2005
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish
Thanks for the report. I've seen their offer to get free mics when you buy the gear.
I guess, it's not to get ALL that excited about, eh.
Squish,

I think it best if some users of the new units would comment here. All I can say is the old units were a one trick pony. They did one thing well. The newer units still do what the old units do, but they go much further. If you e-mail me at [email protected] I will be happy to go into detail, but I do not want to sound like an advertisement here on Jules boards.

As Reid said, we have received excellent reviews on our new products, and can supply them in pdf for you. While Ted is no longer involved with Joemeek for reasons I will not go into, this positive outcome afforded me the opportunity to do more with the gear after I bought the company. Mainly that was to get together with Allan Bradford on this project.

As for the JM27 comments, well we admit we have not changed the JM27's design from Ted Fletchers, and we still get that model from the same company that made them in China. While you have one opinion of the JM27 here, there are many users that like it. Yes, it is an innexpensive colored sounding SD mic, yet I have comments from others that have e-mailed us who really like what it does for them in their rooms.

I do not dispute what one guy thinks or says about a piece of gear, but at the same time, none of us has any idea if the user knows how to use it properly, or what the conditions of the room are it was used in. All of these things have something to do with how a mic performs, so when someone says something sucks, I take that with a grain of salt.

Certianly the discussion link he posted does not say much of anything other than he had a problem. We have had no complaints on the JM27 about cables not fitting and we have sold a lot of these microphones. I wish the guy would have called us and maybe we could have helped him out more.

Anyway Squish, it is best if you can experience for yourself what they do. Where are you located and maybe I can find a dealer to allow you to try them out? Let me know.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron florentine
The only Joe Meek stuff that i have liked is the old SC2 or SC3 compressor....I own an prototype SC3 comp ,that is one piece of gear I will never sell....I love it
Everything else I have try just didnt do much for me.

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio

I`ve got an SC3 myself.

It`s the first compressor I ever bought.

When I got some other stuff I considered selling it because at the time I couldn`t figure out how to get a decent sound out of it while it was a lot easier with say a Vari MU.

I couldn`t get a decent offer for it so I kept it and lo and behold I LOVE it now.

Once I figured out how to tweak it right it can be very cool.

Really great on guitars and bass and nice for some other stuff you want some color on.

thumbsup
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Addict

i have an sc2 and an sc2.2 and a vc1 and a bunch of those low end mini boxes that meek put out in the beginning. c2, vc3, v5 eq. i guess i just loved the green color. i still use much of them, especially the compressors, even if i have 3 1176s and an la2a and 2 RNCs and an aphex compellor and 4 dbxs and a bunch of others lying around, AND, surprise - the preamp in the VC1 can be great for some things, and not only makes a great line amp and compressor for bass, but a direct box for injected guitar that often beats the DI in my grmp2nv and little labs and ua 6176 etc...

don't know about the new meek, but the ancient stuff could be dynamite with your eyes closed.

best,
rlnyc
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlnyc
i have an sc2 and an sc2.2 and a vc1 and a bunch of those low end mini boxes that meek put out in the beginning. c2, vc3, v5 eq. i guess i just loved the green color. i still use much of them, especially the compressors, even if i have 3 1176s and an la2a and 2 RNCs and an aphex compellor and 4 dbxs and a bunch of others lying around, AND, surprise - the preamp in the VC1 can be great for some things, and not only makes a great line amp and compressor for bass, but a direct box for injected guitar that often beats the DI in my grmp2nv and little labs and ua 6176 etc...

don't know about the new meek, but the ancient stuff could be dynamite with your eyes closed.

best,
rlnyc
How similar is the SC2 to the SC2.2? The boards in the 2.2 say SC2 on them. O've always wondered, but never seem to see anyone who has both.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Addict

The wonderful sc2 was made whene ted fletcher was the owner of joemeek, the new joemeek products have nothing to do with the original concept.
All the old product where very colorful, some liked it and soom did not, I think they where fabulous
If you want the original product look under tfpro, its ted fletchers new company, I have not heard all of his new products but the p5 comp that I have is waaahoooo
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

My Stuff

I own three VC6Q and a VC1Q. It depends on what you're used to, but I find these devices very handy. The ones I have are before they started using the current sense mic pre. I like the 6Q on voice or electric guitar, sometimes in a pinch on acoustic. Doesn't do much for me on bass.

The 1Q is very good for voice, kick, snare and bass.

I'm at a project studio level but have a few nice pieces of Avalon, Drawmer & Langevein gear. The Meek stuff is at the lower end of my "food chain", but I don't regret owning it and find myself using it on every tracking & mixing session.
Old 28th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound
How similar is the SC2 to the SC2.2? The boards in the 2.2 say SC2 on them. O've always wondered, but never seem to see anyone who has both.

They are not as much as you would think.

The Sc2.2 has different transformers, an output control,multiple attack and release times.

Its faster sounding than the old SC2 albeit not as cool sounding.

Works better for drums than original, but the original sounds better on bass and guitars.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Head
Original SC 2

I love my original SC 2 and would never part with it! I think its great on Guitars , Bass, sometimes rooms, certain vocalists, and although it is slower than the new sc2.2 I have even used it on a drum buss! Incidentaly I have used several of them and they all soeem to sound and respond differently!
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

I've ownwed several pieces of Meek stuff.
For me, the most useful has been the SC2. I also still have both a SC2.2 and the SC2.

I use the SC2.2 on our live rack on the mix buss.
I use the SC2 for recording. Similar uses above. Drum buss, kick, occ the rythm guits if stereo.

SC2.2 is OK. I think it sounds a little more noticable than the SC2. Less rich, less detailed.
The SC2 is darker, more complex, less obvious (when hit lightly of course).
imo, they're really totally different instruments and would have to be judged on their own sound.

Also, the C2 is a pretty cool tool for really hammering some sounds.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Addict

I have one of the very early VC1's and although I wouldn't use it on everything the compressor and the preamp are pretty decent (my points of comparison are ADM, Quad Eight, custom built vacuum tube , Langevin, Neotek, Audix and modified Ampex 601 preamps). Not top of the line but it sounds cool.
But they do have a coloration you wouldn't want too much of.

Also, try before you buy. Different revisions sound quite different from one another.

Didn't care for the seperate EQ unit at all though.
Old 28th July 2005

I have a vc1 - I use it almost exclusively as a drum fx box - rawks for that!!
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I've had a VC1q for several years. Although it's not my favorite pre, eq, or compressor, it is decent. One time(at band camp), it beat every other box I had as an acoustic guitar DI, it really can smooth out a harsh signal. Not my favorite for much else, but it works and looks great in the rack.

P.S. The enhancer/de-esser is completely useless IMO.
Old 28th July 2005

the enhancer can be great on squashed ribbon rooms mics
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I knew I should have squashed those ribbons!
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Another SC2 user and abuser here. I almost almost sold this thing earlier this year..... on me! Fortunately, I came to my senses when in the final mix stages of a project. Found I just couldn't live without it! heh

Nothing like it on drum submix!
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Head

Another green SC2.2 for here. I like in the drums. And the Dark mode is a little bit of colour in the extremely compressions of electronics rythms.

I have a P8. I don´t dislike. It´s interestig but the green mode isn´t very similar to the original. He he. Neither of four modes.
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Original SC2 here ... never tried against the newer SC2.2 though.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhyatt
I think it best if some users of the new units would comment here. All I can say is the old units were a one trick pony. They did one thing well.
Alan, I really don't understand why you would take control over a company/brand name/product line and then constantly harp on about their past in a negative manner?

The Joe Meek line used to have an enjoyable degree of quirkiness that set it apart from it's competition instantly, whether you liked their products or not you couldn't deny this (I, like many others, am a fan of the brick and the SC2, btw).

It seems that nowadays the company is trying it's best to shoot itself in the foot in this regard (trying to distance itself from the reputation that made it) and put out units that look and do exactly what every other entry-level audio hardware company is doing.

Just an observation from someone with no vested interests, free of charge, that you might want to consider...
Old 13th March 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah
The Joe Meek line used to have an enjoyable degree of quirkiness that set it apart from it's competition instantly, whether you liked their products or not you couldn't deny this (I, like many others, am a fan of the brick and the SC2, btw).

It seems that nowadays the company is trying it's best to shoot itself in the foot in this regard (trying to distance itself from the reputation that made it) and put out units that look and do exactly what every other entry-level audio hardware company is doing.
they should have been happy with making 4-5 unique pieces that are really usable (like the SC2) instead of trying to be all things to all ppl and satisfying no one.

Old 13th March 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
The Sc2.2 has different transformers, an output control,multiple attack and release times. Its faster sounding than the old SC2 albeit not as cool sounding.
Works better for drums than original, but the original sounds better on bass and guitars.
that's strange. i had both and couldn't find one thing I liked the 2.2 on.. not one. Passing signal thru a 2.2 just sucked the life out of it.

I was HOPING the 2.2 could smash drums like the SC2 but was horribly disappointed and got rid of my 2.2 ASAP.

the SC2, however, is magic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search