The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Omni or figure eight ?
Old 1st July 2005
Gear Nut

Omni or figure eight ?

The gearslustz..source of information and help..i like it here.

Here is my latest quiz :

I have a very damped vocal booth/room. Nothing escapes and you can yell your heart out without a notice from the next room.
Dead like the NHL hockey season and you get your ambience from a FX unit in your headphones.

BUT...rehearsing in the controlroom made me think twice. Singing faced to the back of thee room (with a lot of diffusing going on) opened my eyes..hmmm..ears.

Breath sounds are great and you can feel/hear the perfomance..the way you articulate sounds much better.. the "dead" room sucks up to much if its not rock`n roll screaming going on.

I´ve gotta capture this but got no experience working with the room if you know what i mean.

Should i use a figure eight or omnidirectional setting to capture my new findings ?
I dont have such microphones at the moment so i cant make A/B tests.
Old 1st July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyBee

I´ve gotta capture this but got no experience working with the room if you know what i mean.

Should i use a figure eight or omnidirectional setting to capture my new findings ?
I dont have such microphones at the moment so i cant make A/B tests.
Are these the only options?

Cardioid with (or without) a touch of comrpession will give you the room ... just move back until you like the balance (or add compression and gain make up). You'll lose the low end/proximity effect as you go but 2" vs. 6" is a huge difference. 1' back is another sound completely.

Fig 8 will give you the proximity if close and the room behind the mic.

Omni has no proximity bump ... you can get right on it, and still get a lot of room. Maybe too much. Depends on the room, the song, etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search