The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A/D Do I even need it?
Old 1st July 2005
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
VO-Guy's Avatar
 

A/D Do I even need it?

First real post here and just wanna say you guys are great! I've learned alot just reading your post. My question is simple. I do VO work for commercials and also radio imaging. Alot of the stuff I produce in house. Would the sound improve by adding an A/D like a Lucid, Mytek, or Rosetta 200? Or since I'm not recording instruments and bands do I even need it?
Old 1st July 2005
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Jose Mrochek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO-Guy
First real post here and just wanna say you guys are great! I've learned alot just reading your post. My question is simple. I do VO work for commercials and also radio imaging. Alot of the stuff I produce in house. Would the sound improve by adding an A/D like a Lucid, Mytek, or Rosetta 200? Or since I'm not recording instruments and bands do I even need it?
It really depends if you are a true slut or not : )
Old 1st July 2005
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
VO-Guy's Avatar
 

Of course

Of course I am, and damn proud of it!
Old 1st July 2005
  #4
Gear Head
 

I had a look at your website, and it seems that you're doing pretty good business. As one of the 4 or 5 things that are possibly in your signal chain, you wouldn't be going wrong with upgrading your converters. Probably not the dramatic difference you'd get from upgrading mics or pres, but if you've already got those ducks in a row, nice converters are a natural next step. I doubt the Rosetta'll be going out of style tomorrow.

By the way, does anyone know if the older 48k Rosettas sound the same as the new ones running at the same SR? I know that this either a good question or a dumb question.
Old 1st July 2005
  #5


Unless you are going back to analog before you send out your material, the A/D converter won't be in your signal chain at all and all it is good for is your own monitoring.

No sense in having the monitor too much better than the broadcast.

But, if you go back to analog before printing, then it can make a difference.



-tINY

Old 2nd July 2005
  #6
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY


Unless you are going back to analog before you send out your material, the A/D converter won't be in your signal chain at all and all it is good for is your own monitoring.

No sense in having the monitor too much better than the broadcast.

But, if you go back to analog before printing, then it can make a difference.

You mean that with regard to D/A, right?

Anytime you record something digital, you go through the A/D.
Old 2nd July 2005
  #7


Yeah, whoops - I guess I started the holiday weekend early.....

Still, for FM broadcast, there probably won't be much gained.

VO for Movies would be another matter.


-tINY

Old 2nd July 2005
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
VO-Guy's Avatar
 

Simple

Thanks guys. My setup is pretty simple. I use a Rode NTK, the stock tube is replaced with a Mullard, into a LA-610 into a Presonus Firebox into my system. I was figuring the converters in say the Rosetta 200 would be better than the Firebox thus giving me a better sound.
Old 2nd July 2005
  #9
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO-Guy
Thanks guys. My setup is pretty simple. I use a Rode NTK, the stock tube is replaced with a Mullard, into a LA-610 into a Presonus Firebox into my system. I was figuring the converters in say the Rosetta 200 would be better than the Firebox thus giving me a better sound.
How do you like the Mullard replacement?
Old 2nd July 2005
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
VO-Guy's Avatar
 

Difference

I like it. Gave it a fuller sound and got rid of the brittleness in the top end. A definite improvement and I highly recommend it.
Old 2nd July 2005
  #11
Lives for gear
 
De chromium cob's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO-Guy
Or since I'm not recording instruments and bands do I even need it?
I don't think so- The VO work you do wont get appreciably better by throwing thousands into new converters...
If you're really itching to spend money, buy a super good mic that works better with your voice than the Rode (not that it sounds bad)....It will make a larger difference and an excellent mic will hold its value better than any digital converter.
Old 2nd July 2005
  #12
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO-Guy
I like it. Gave it a fuller sound and got rid of the brittleness in the top end. A definite improvement and I highly recommend it.
Thanks. I may do the mod on my K2 the next time I have a few bucks laying around.

I'm in full agreement with De Chromium Cob, given your setup. If you think there's room for improvement anywhere outside the converters, action should be taken there first.
Old 2nd July 2005
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
VO-Guy's Avatar
 

new mike

That's another train of thought I had. I was thinking about maybe a Brauner or maybe a Lawson. Anything other recommendations around the $1500-$2000 mark?
Old 2nd July 2005
  #14
Gear Addict
 
TyRip's Avatar
 

I think a mic would make a much larger difference as well.

I think the converters in the Firebox are very decent and an excellent value for what it costs.

I would just try to demo as many mics as you can. I would also suggest that you take a look at things outside that price range too. Especially if you like a smoother sound you may be very impressed by mics such as an EV RE-20, Shure SM7b, or Audio Technica AT4047. They cost a lot less than $1500, but one of them may be a good choice anyway.
Old 2nd July 2005
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
VO-Guy's Avatar
 

KSM 44

Anyone using the Shure KSM44? I was looking at that one also the BlueBird. Although I gotta say, from what I've read and seen I really like the Brauner Phantom C.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump