The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic under 2k-the best deal
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

Mic under 2k-the best deal

I need the best mic under my 2k budget for tenor/baritone. I would like to have what is missing in my studio, a good tube mic (an NTK here). I'm thinking in a Lawson L47.
Opinions and options...
(please try to keep in my $ range)

Insomnio
Old 1st July 2005
The Soundelux iFET7 very often beats out even more expensive mics for vocals in my locker, this is for rock/blues/punk/metal though if that makes a difference. It's just got that thing for male voxs. For lighter music like gospel/bluegrass, etc it's usually a more delicate sounding (and expensive) tube microphone.
Old 1st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio
I need the best mic under my 2k budget for tenor/baritone. I would like to have what is missing in my studio, a good tube mic (an NTK here). I'm thinking in a Lawson L47.
Opinions and options...
(please try to keep in my $ range)

Insomnio
The Lawson 47's rock! If I'm not mistaken you can even buy a 251 capsule if you want to at a later point.
Old 1st July 2005
Peluso 2247 is a very nice mic
Old 1st July 2005
Motown legend

I'd first check out the Shure SM-7 and the EV RE-20. Probably the most mike for the money I know of are the SCHOEPS Microphones. They often beat all but the most exotic LD condensers. I'd also look at Geffel or even a used Neumann KM-84.
Old 1st July 2005
500 series nutjob

i love the re-20
i think the blue blueberry is good band for the buck or the soundelux u-195.
i do not have a ifet so?
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks.
I was thinking in a tube mic thou. The Gefell are cool but too much $ for me now.

I've never heard any Soundelux. I live in an Island, no pro audio store here, and all studios are Neumann or Audio Technica oriented. I've read many posts about the 195 but not much of the iFet.

I
Old 1st July 2005
Gear Addict

i have recorded a number of acts with the at 4060 and everyone has made mention of how this microphone likes them and have asked what it is.
tf
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trident fan
i have recorded a number of acts with the at 4060 and everyone has made mention of how this microphone likes them and have asked what it is. tf
I've heard of a "4060 modified version", and also owners changing its tube.
Have anyone?

Insomnio
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

C'mon guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

What's wrong with the NTK?
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fingerz
What's wrong with the NTK?
Too boring in most singers.
I bought it for a baritone recording two years ago; it was made for him! Also is the best for my girlfriend. So, I'm not saying is a bad mic; I don't believe in bad mics, realy.
But I want to have something more "classic" or standard.
I need a tube microphone that I could say is my "go to" mic; my first option, etc, etc.
I hope you understand my feeling.

Insomnio
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Head

Others have subtley hinted this through their suggestions, but why has it got to be a tube microphone?

I have a K2. I bought it, thought it worked well with my voice, and decided to keep it. It happened to work out that time at a low, low price--plus, it only has to work for one application.

However, there are a slew of solid state microphones under 2k that may take you to a tier of quality beyond what you might get for a tube design. Think about power supplies and cheap tubes and you start to get a clearer picture of what's going on at this price point in tube designs.
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Rogers

No tubes...

You can buy a pair of Roger Ribbon 121´s or a single Roger Ribbon 122!

Good on ALMOST evrything, specially 122´s.

PUPO
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

The AT 4060 is an amazing mic at any price. I did a record over in Asia with one and i I used it on almost everything and the album was nominated for the equivelent of a grammy award for best engineering
Old 2nd July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sender
The Lawson 47's rock! If I'm not mistaken you can even buy a 251 capsule if you want to at a later point.
2nd

This mic would be VERY hard to beat for under $2000... Actually, after shippings it's not exactly under $2000 but it's worth the extra dough.
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Bird
Others have subtley hinted this through their suggestions, but why has it got to be a tube microphone?

I have a K2. I bought it, thought it worked well with my voice, and decided to keep it. It happened to work out that time at a low, low price--plus, it only has to work for one application.

However, there are a slew of solid state microphones under 2k that may take you to a tier of quality beyond what you might get for a tube design. Think about power supplies and cheap tubes and you start to get a clearer picture of what's going on at this price point in tube designs.
Lawson offers the tube and fet versions of the same mics. They use the same capsule (you just switch the body), and the sound is completely different. Tubes always make a huge difference.
They are not necessarily better; but are a tool IMHO you should have. I don’t have ribbons yet, so I need that tool too. Without a good tube and ribbon mic I don’t feel to have everything I’ll need in any circumstance.
Again, that’s IMHOQKWTM…etc

Pupo:
I need a vocal mic. Do you think an R122 will be the first choice with vocals?

Insomnio
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm
The AT 4060 is an amazing mic at any price. I did a record over in Asia with one and i I used it on almost everything and the album was nominated for the equivelent of a grammy award for best engineering
I read a review where they say that "the 4060 is almost a 4033" in terms of sound. Is that true? My 4033 have never won the others in vox.

I
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

For 2k? This is easy.

Without any hesitation I can say:
A Peluso 22 251 and a Peluso 22 47.
Both sound excellent and have 9 polar patterns.

When I bought mine, I sold my U195, K2 and some other mics.....the Pelusos were way, way better.
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst
For 2k? This is easy.

Without any hesitation I can say:
A Peluso 22 251 and a Peluso 22 47.
Both sound excellent and have 9 polar patterns.

When I bought mine, I sold my U195, K2 and some other mics.....the Pelusos were way, way better.
That's a lot to say...there are many U195 lovers in these forums.
Questions:how much and where do you find them?
So I gess these are classic clones too. I don't care how close they are to their counterparts; just the sound.
Which one do you have?

Insomnio
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

I love my Lawson...well worth the 2K! I plan on picking up a fet body and a 251 head at some point. The L47 does sound excellent though.
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

I myself am thinking of getting a u195 but am not to sure. I used my royer 121 for vocals once and they sounded a bit too deep but in a good rich way. The singers absolutly loved it but the only issue I had with the royer was that it does not take pops from the p's well. Even with a pop filter you could notice a thud when the singer really pushed the p. We are still debating on which mic to use.
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by conguero
I myself am thinking of getting a u195 but am not to sure. I used my royer 121 for vocals once and they sounded a bit too deep but in a good rich way. The singers absolutly loved it but the only issue I had with the royer was that it does not take pops from the p's well. Even with a pop filter you could notice a thud when the singer really pushed the p. We are still debating on which mic to use.
¡Capitanes...ahí!

I
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

haha, really funny, always the same story. what´s the best mic for me - and the usual answers, about 25 different mic suggestions all over the place. so let me add mine cause it´s never enough: I love my U99b and it has gotten my go to vocal mic next to my Brauner VM1. The U99b is very full sounding while the Brauner is very bright&airy. Both have excellent detail and presence. I could happily record any voice for the rest of my life with just those two mics...
And my opinion on the mics that give you the Neumann sound (L47, E47, Gefells, etc.) - I have found this sound to be unsuitable many times. when it´s fine than it´s fine, but this sound is "wrong" quite often. I would never make a Neumann sounding mic my "go-to-mic", it´s a special purpose mic.

Rock on!
Pat

ps I got the U99b brandnew including the shockmount for 2.000.-, stellar price!
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
Probably the most mike for the money I know of are the SCHOEPS Microphones. They often beat all but the most exotic LD condensers.
Which capsule are you using for vocals?
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Try the Neumann M147.
There's usually a few at Ebay and most are well under $2K.
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboys
haha, really funny, always the same story. what´s the best mic for me - and the usual answers, about 25 different mic suggestions all over the place.
Yes, that's the idea. I'll never buy anything again without consulting me Gearslutz bodies. They always find something I'm missing. Is good to know you're in the right track.

Insomnio
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

The AT4060 and 4033 have nothing in common other than the name Audio Technica and 40 prefix. The 4060 uses a different externally polarized diaphragm as opposed to the electret thats in the 4033. The 4060 has a transformer output, the 4033 is transformerless, and the 4060 uses a tube amp whereas the 4033 is transistor. Pretty different mics (they don't even use the same shockmount), though from a distance they look similar.

I've got a 4060 and I'm quite happy with it. It routinely beats out my U87ai in vocal shootouts. I'm probably going to mod it soon...new caps, amperex tube, and I'll probably shorten the cable.

Insomnio, why do you need a tube mic? To me, the mic's character mainly comes from the diaphragm/grille and output transformer. The amp itself is secondary. In my opinion anyways...

Cheers,

Kris
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio
That's a lot to say...there are many U195 lovers in these forums.
Questions:how much and where do you find them?
So I gess these are classic clones too. I don't care how close they are to their counterparts; just the sound.
Which one do you have?

Insomnio
I have the 22 47 and 22 251.

I'm in no way saying anything negative about the U195....it's definitely a very good mic and I was actually expecting it to be much better than the 22 47 but tit was the opposite.

I have the same attitude as you......I don't care how close they are to any other mic, just how they sound and work for me.

My overall opinion is that the 22 47 has the good qualities of a Neumann without the qualities I don't like. Compared to the U195 it is just a lot more open and clear. After comparing them, i realized it was unlikely I'd use the U195 over the 22 47 for many things so I sold it.

The 22 251.....all I can say is wow. I never used a Elam 251 but now I know why it's so sought after. the 22 251 is very present and forward in the mids in a completely creamy sort of way. No high end hash/essiness......none at all.....unlike any other LD I have ever used.

Now, I'm in no way an expert on mics but I know what I hear.

The were each less tha $1k. You can get them at a few places.
I bought mine from Dan Richards at SoundPure.

For anyone thinking of a U195, just A/B it against a 22 47 and let your ears guide you. I can't imagine the U195 winning out many times.
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Guru

I was thinking the Peluso 22 47. But both mics are fantastic. I also own both. I personally don't think there's anything else in that price range that even comes close.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search