The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
yamaha ns 10's???? Studio Monitors
Old 10th February 2009
Here for the gear

yamaha ns 10's????

ok..

got a home studio set up...
thinking about getting the yamaha ns 10's...

why are these good???...and why are these bad...??? when we recorded in los angeles we used them....so im wondering if i should have them now..

pros and cons?
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

not.... another... ns10.... thread...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/search.php

Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliottwinston View Post
ok..

got a home studio set up...
thinking about getting the yamaha ns 10's...

why are these good???...and why are these bad...??? when we recorded in los angeles we used them....so im wondering if i should have them now..

pros and cons?
Well they probably shouldn't be your only speakers.

They represent an "average bookshelf speaker". Very midrange-y.

Nice to check what your mix sounds like on a typical "consumer" setup.... but you can (and should!) also check it on car speakers, laptop speakers, home stereo speakers etc... which you already have.

I would advise you to invest in a nice pair of full range studio monitors before spending money on NS10's.

Whats your budget?
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Addict

1st, I hate 'em... No truth. BUT, you can get used to their hype, and mix accordingly. They are indeed dependable, once you understand them. However, the same can be said for about any speaker you choose to monitor with.

Personally, I prefer Blue Sky. I like how flat and detailed they are. But I'm certain someone here will throw some hate this way.

My best advice is to listen to as many in your chosen environment as you can, and pick the one you like best (for whatever reason - sound, price, whatever). You'll still have to learn how they translate to other set-ups. Once learned, they will be just fine.
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifftunes View Post

Personally, I prefer Blue Sky. I like how flat and detailed they are. But I'm certain someone here will throw some hate this way.
+1

I have a set of NS-10's and a set of Blue Sky...great A/B combo in my opinion.
Old 10th February 2009
Here for the gear

Really the 10's sound like crap, but that's what they're for..LOL!.

I A/B between NS10's and DynAudios. I mix with the DynAudios then reference the NS10's to see if the highs and mids are too much.
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

Try NS-1000... They are far superior
Old 10th February 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skabeeb View Post
Really the 10's sound like crap, but that's what they're for..LOL!.
Exactly!
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

no offense meant to the rest of you... but..
Some of these answers are BS in my opinion.

Does anyone actually work in a studio who doesn't have a pair??
Almost no one that I know.

Why get them??
They translate. period.
They especially do a great job of translating when a user isn't used to listening to and adjusting to other speakers... in my opinion.

Pair of NS10's... add a sub if you'd like... and your golden.
I actually think that they sound rather good.... boxy... flat (dead sounding)...
like a good vintage amp. They have ''a sound'' and I dig it.

Ever worked on a mix forever... got it to where you thought it was absolutely SLAMMING.. only to walk out to the car.. pop it in on your way home and think that it sounds completely different?? in fact, sounds much worse...

That almost never happens to me... in fact, often it sounds even better in the car.
They translate.

"often it sounds even better in the car"
- yes, I realize the irony in that statement.
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Maniac

NS10s are my primary monitors. I'm really used to them and I get good "real world" mixes although they can get fatiguing. I find sometimes that I add a bit too much bass but mostly they really work.
I also use a set of HHB Circle 5s, Audio Technica ATHm50s phones and a cheap JVC boombox. I mix pretty low too. Went through my playing everything LOUD phase years ago..thumbsup
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

If 'real world mixes' is what you care for these days then you should probably hook up a pair of in-ear buds.

NS-10s surely can get the job done but so can an Aura-/Avantones or the small Fostex monitors (can't remember the model right now)

What is totally stupid IMO is paying big bucks for 'rare' original NS-10s. Yes they were are studio standard for a long time but that doesn't mean that other monitors might work as well or even better. In any case you need an alternative system as well.

Personally I use a combo of Genelecs 8040s and a single Avantone and it works really well.
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A LaMere View Post
no offense meant to the rest of you... but..
Some of these answers are BS in my opinion.

Does anyone actually work in a studio who doesn't have a pair??
Almost no one that I know.
They translate.
What are you talking about?

Isen't that what everyone has said? They translate?

You forget one simple fact: They only translate if you know how to decipher what they are telling you. I have seen PLENTY of people try to mix and just not get it.

Again. I highly suggest having another "full range" set of speakers before you get your NS10's.
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Addict

You should get them because so many people use them. They have become a reference standard. They take the monitor out of the equation because if everyone or most people use them to at least check their mixes on then we're all referencing from the same baseline - as far as monitors are concerned. Think of it - you listen to someone's mixes and it's out of whack someway, like too much bass, not enough highs, whatever. You call the engineer up and you share your thoughts with him (ouch). You ask him what monitors he mixed thru and he says NS10's and then you say okay, I listened to your tracks thru my NS10's so it isn't the speakers that are the problem. That's what's good about getting NS10's in your studio. So many people have them that at least that part of the equation is equal. Of course, sooo many other things can be the problem - room treatment, engineers ears, - a million things. But it won't be the speakers lying to you. Do they sound great? Heck no. But if you monitor at a low volume and you get that mix slamming on those NS10s, then that mix, from my experience, translates well to a lot of different speakers. I also use Dynaudio BM15 Passives plus sub with a Bryston 4B, small Logitech Z-2300 computer speakers (sound great, about $125 with a sub) and I use Audio-Technica ATH50s headphones (just bought them and digging them a lot). Then I listen thru a small Sony boombox and in my vehicle. The NS10's are important to have in my setup IMHO.
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear
Does anyone have any thoughts on Studio Spares SN-10?
Old 10th February 2009
Here for the gear

They're common in many studios,and the price is ok.
Old 11th February 2009
Here for the gear

hey

Thanks for the answers...

so if i can get the mix to sound good on these.. it should sound great on other speakers??

what kinda power do ya need to power them.. how does that work??

im looking at a sunfire sub as well..
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

Again?

I thought there were enough posts and threads about this... I don't mean to sound rude, but if you take the time to peruse the various pages, you'll find at least a dozen threads answering all of these questions, and all of the other ones you're sure to have.

If you like 'em, get 'em, if you don't, don't. That is literally as simple an answer as you can get. If you aren't sure, try them, and if you don't end up liking what you're getting, sell em (you'll have no trouble).

Let's stop the discussion here - for the sake of my sanity

Cheers,
Cam
Old 12th February 2009
Here for the gear

wow

stop being a ******
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Maniac

A bit off topic but has any one ever tried these SN10's ?

"Studiospares" Studiospares SN10 Nearfield Monitors Pair at Studiospares

James
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BallProductions View Post
A bit off topic but has any one ever tried these SN10's ?

"Studiospares" Studiospares SN10 Nearfield Monitors Pair at Studiospares

James
Apparently not, cause that's what I asked months ago, if you look up! I'm curious myself, but I have NEVER seen one of these in any store.
Old 20th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
Apparently not, cause that's what I asked months ago, if you look up! I'm curious myself, but I have NEVER seen one of these in any store.

I did have a search for SN10 but maybe i didnt look hard enough,

I think im gonna get both and A-B them both and get rid of the worse.

J

im in london when i get both if any one's interested come along an help me A-B them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search